Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What bullet to use for Single Stack?

Aircooled6racer

Just my 2 cents from having been to a major match shooing 200 gr SWC's.... if the match staff just staples a fresh target over the old shot up target, the SWC's don't punch as clean a hole as if it was just a single layer of cardboard.

At the local level, where we rarely swap out targets, yeah, I like the nice clean and usually very visible hole that a 200 gr SWC produces. As an RO, it makes it easier to score too.

I think I am using a 14 pound recoil spring with either the 200 or 225-ish grain pro-jo's.

4.2 grains of Clays with the 200 SWC's and 3.8 grains of clays with the LRN's.

Edited by Chills1994

I'll voice another vote for 200gr SWC's and Clays. I was able to make major in my Kimber with only 4.0 grains and Lasercast SWC's. The Precision moly coated bullets required a bit more powder to get to major.

Thomas

I am sitting in a hotel waiting for the WSSSC to start tomorrow. My ammo is loaded with a 230 TC lead bullet (I make them myself) and WST. Heavy bullet is nice, you don't have to push the 230's very fast.

Neal in AZ

Hello: I am currently using the Precision 200 grain RN and was just trying to see if the big guys are using 200 grain or 230 grain. I load to 176PF to make the slide snappy like the 40 I shoot. I was just wondering if going back to the 230 grain with it's slower slide speed would help me. I would do some testing with both loads to see which works for me(Bill Drills). Just trying to get ready for Double Tap :cheers: I do like the 147's in my 9mm though? Thanks, Eric

Not that I am a big dawg, but for most of the last 5 years 189PF CCI Aluminum Cased 230 Blazer BALL.

Dam accurate!

That may change as I just picked up some "help" from a commercial loading outfit that spec's their 230's a little cooler.

Patrick

Kevin C wrote:

Anybody using a 200 jacketed with Clays?

I tried reaching major PF with a Berry's plated 200gr SWC.

I kept adding powder, then chrono'ing.

Adding more powder, then chrono'ing some more.

Somehow I had extrapolated out....errr... SWAG'ed what would be the max load for Clays and the Berry's 200gr plated SWC, and I was at that "limit".

So I switched to Winchester 231 instead.

I think that's what I was using for that reloading demo, IIRC. It was 6.2 grains of Win 231 with the Berry's 200 gr plated SWC at around 1.24-ish OAL.

What was really, really soft shooting was the Berry's plated 230 gr FMJ style of bullet. I will have to look through my records again, but I am thinking I was getting that to make major with Clays without any problems.

Man! That was soft shooting. I really liked it, but alas, the Berry's plated stuff got real expensive.

Sigh...

:(

I like the 200 gr MG with VV 310 under it.

Very clean and reliable, load long.

Snappy and back on target quickly, not too much extra weight to push up and or wear out springs. . .

Clays also works well with the 200. These BTW are MG TFP and Rainier(when they were cheep) tnfps.

Check for overpressure signs probably looking around 4.5 gr or therabouts. . .

ben b.

You got most of it right, you got the 200 LSWC H&G #68, but to be really Old School, you need to push that slug with 5.7 gr of 231 :D

I started off that way when I started reloading in May, but with 5.6 gr W231.

ben b.

You got most of it right, you got the 200 LSWC H&G #68, but to be really Old School, you need to push that slug with 5.7 gr of 231 :D

haha I still like and use that load. My 550 tool head has been set up for it for the last 10 years. Even after not reloading for several years the powder dump still puts out 5.7 gr haha. Guess I don't like changing much :rolleyes:

230 grain Zero FMJ over 4.4 grains of TiteGroup. Nice snappy slide. Can't stand to see or feel my slide move. Don't like a "pushy" load.

I was using 4.7 though.. 4.5 only got me to 164PF.

Then I went to 4.5 WST with the same bullet, when that's gone.. I'll probably try Clays.

ben b.

I started off that way when I started reloading in May, but with 5.6 gr W231.

Yep, you are correct, 5.7 was when the PF was 175k. Pretty smokey, but very consistent and accruate...stopped using that when 452AA proved to be better and more consistent, not to mention cheaper...sorry when that was discontinued..shot to shot velocity was usually within 5 to 7 fps. Sometimes shot 5.3 at steel matches when there was no PF.