Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 primer feed problems

Perfect time for that post!

My 1050, just started skipping primers in the brass and instead drops them on the bench. I had a weight (45 case) on the primer follwer, took that off, it works better, but still about 1 in 100 falls out (it was maybe 1.5 - 2 a hundred with the weight) in the last 1000 rounds.

Could this also be a symptom of wear?

Is this an indication of the primer magazine tip needing replacement?

Before I take it apart, just looking for a place to start.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last thing to check is something a Dillon tech told me:  Put the press back together and without primers in the tube look down the tube while shining a flashlight into the base at the shellplate.  Make sure the primer slide comes all the way back to pick up a primer and lines up 100%.  Adjust by shimming (or removing shims) from the primer bar stop bolt (the half-circle shaped part that stops the primer bar on it's return stroke).

You can also test or confirm that by dropping a single primer down the tube - it should drop perfectly in the slide every time if it's shimmed properly.

be

• 3 months later...

I have had an ongoing problem with my 1050. Reading through here helped. The shim came installed or was installed on the wrong side of the half moon slide stop. It appears that that may have fixed the problem. If not, the next step is to polish the primer hole in the slide.

Jim

Dillon 1050 still a Pain in the Ass!Smears primers, seats them crooked, A royal pain. I am sorry at this point I bought it. My 650 was no where near the trouble.

I have removed the ratchet because the press would lock up o the badly seated primers and releasing it was too much. I have cleaned, polished and test. primers drop i nfreely, The locator tab is tight, the cases don't wobble in the primer station, dropping a single primer works.

THe missng primers can and do occur at any point in the run, from the first few all the way to the end.

Sometimes, but not always, after I get a "No-Prime" I'll get one or two that are seated badly, sort of torn.

I had to essentiall look at each round before seating a bullet to be sure I had a primer. Hell of away to load, I'd be better off on a single stage (Not really, but it speaks to my frustration).

Jim Norman

I think this is where I offer $500 for the POS. :)

I get the frustration, but a working 1050 is a thing of beauty..

Good job yanking the ratchet. How's the primer-slide-driving-arm-thing doing? It's possible to wear out the bearing bolt on that such that it behaves badly.

It "appears" to be OK. Weirdness is that it passed all the items that were indicated in earlier posts.

I have cleaned the parts, dropped primers down the tube, w/o fail they land correctly.

The two probs are, No primer and damaged primers. Sort of a small little bit that didn't seat. Primer is now not fully flat.

Calling Dillon today, if I get the chance. I will order new slide, new guide bolt thingie that holds ratchet, new activation arm that moves the primer slider.

Hopefully when I get back form Barry, all will be here and I can replace them and get back to loading the way it is supposed to be.

Jim

My 1050 behaves exactly the same, passes all the "tests." I've changed everything but the bar. In the last six months my 1050 has made a bucketfull of primerless/smeared primer duds. If you figure out the cure PLEASE let me know.

Shepard

I spoke with a person at Dillon, whom will get public credit if his answers are the solution.

I am going to be changing the prier magazine, polishing the slot the primer feed bar runs in and changing out the primer bar actuator system.

Having spent a few minutes on the phone with him, I have a better understanding of just what occurs in this part of the Dillon 1050. TIme will tell. I won't get a chance to play till I get back from the Nats.

I think that I got the press for the price I did because the guy that had didn't make the call to figure out why he had problems.

I will keep you all posted.

Jim

I think this has already been mentioned (haven't gone back to reread the entire thread), and I'm sure you guys have already done it, but it worked for me.

I was getting the occasional crushed or missing primer, I found that by tightening the shell plate (for minimal case wiggle) and really tightening up the white plastic piece that holds the case firmly in the shell plate (the thing that is where the locator buttons normally are), I almost completely eliminated my priming problems.

Hope this helps someone.

Between Jim and John, they mirror my experiences. New parts and a solid polish job go a long way on older 1050s, so does a properly adjusted shell plate and locator tab. Additionally, I only fill the hopper with freshly lubed cases when I'm actually ready to load, and then I finish those cases off in one session. The other thing I've noticed is that the 1050 seems to be more operator smoothness sensitive than the 650 or SDB were, since I've worked on smoothing out my movements, I've gotten much more consistent ammo.

Oh, and no missing primers in the last 4000 rounds. Must go find some wood to knock on, now....... :):)

• 4 weeks later...
The last thing to check is something a Dillon tech told me:  Put the press back together and without primers in the tube look down the tube while shining a flashlight into the base at the shellplate.  Make sure the primer slide comes all the way back to pick up a primer and lines up 100%.  Adjust by shimming (or removing shims) from the primer bar stop bolt (the half-circle shaped part that stops the primer bar on it's return stroke).

Hope this helps someone, post if it does!

My primer problems had gone and now have returned. I was missing 2 primers per hundred (over the last 1,500 rounds), so I used my comressor to blow any dirt, junk, tumbling media out of the tracks, stroking the press seems better.

I load 100 rounds, and I'm missing 10, it's gotten worse!

When it misses a primer, the primer gets tossed on the bench.. is this the same missing primer symptom, or another?

Any ideas? I'll be calling Dillon in the morning - just wondering if there's a quick fix I'm missing.

Hope this helps someone, post if it does!

My primer problems had gone and now have returned. I was missing 2 primers per hundred (over the last 1,500 rounds), so I used my comressor to blow any dirt, junk, tumbling media out of the tracks, stroking the press seems better.

I load 100 rounds, and I'm missing 10, it's gotten worse!

When it misses a primer, the primer gets tossed on the bench.. is this the same missing primer symptom, or another?

Any ideas? I'll be calling Dillon in the morning - just wondering if there's a quick fix I'm missing.

BerKim,

Check the rubber bumper on the back of the primer slide, see if it shows significant wear or is torn. If the primer system is empty, it might be a good idea

to remove it and the primer slide, and clean things up a bit. While this is off, unscrew the primer punch bushing, and remove the primer seating punch and return spring. If the return spring isn't within thirty thousanths of being 1.030" long, then it needs to be replaced.

If you have an older Super 1050, see if the index lever spring rides on the bottom of the primer rocker. If it does, then either drill a small hole in the frame and insert a pin to be the stop, tap the hole for a stop screw, or contact us to send it in. The machine sent out for the first year are like this.

Be sure the primer pocket on the brass isn't worn out. If in doubt, try some new brass, and see how that primes. :ph34r:

That rubber bumper is a little torn - seems like it's the only part not in the spare part kit. figures - I've rotated it for now - see how that works.

I also called Dillon and they suggested a good cleaning - it really wasn't bad - now one I can figure out how the 'slide actuating lever' goes back on, I'll give it a try..

Nothing much to offer, but I had to reply just to subscribe. This is now the ONLY thread I am subscribed to. Yup it's that bad. :(

I figure my problems are probably the same as everyone else's, I do get a lot of "snap back" where the failsafe yanks the slide back from under the shell plate.

I have two 1050's, and keep my primer flip try handy so I can try to gather all the missed primers it spits out. Used to be I could load 1200+ in an hour with little problem. Maybe it's a cleaning / out of spec thing. I have them sold though and will be heading home to a new one soon. I hope things are better.

Sounds like the assembly line at Dillon needs a qc guy who really knows 1050's out there checking them for all these little fixes and specs before they ship. Maybe an exploded view of the primer system with trouble shooting tips.

[

I figure my problems are probably the same as everyone else's, I do get a lot of "snap back" where the failsafe yanks the slide back from under the shell plate.

This sounds like the primer punch return spring has collapsed a bit. When this happens, the primer seating punch fails to retract far enough to allow the slide to return smoothly; the slide snaps back, frequently flipping the primer it is supposed to be picking up. :ph34r:

It seems to have worked like a charm.

I couldn't tell any difference in the two springs (old & new) but it couldn't hurt that four or five crushed primers fell out when I pulled the housing off to change the spring. ;)

Thanks. :)

• 8 months later...

OK, I think that I have the primer problem solved.

I did two thins tonight. First, I installed a primer pocket swagger and second, I put a new primer seatin rod in.

I ran nearly 300 rounds and NO CRUSHED OR MISSIN PRIMERS!!!!!

We shall see if the next batch runs as well on Saturday niht.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
I think this has already been mentioned (haven't gone back to reread the entire thread), and I'm sure you guys have already done it, but it worked for me.

I was getting the occasional crushed or missing primer, I found that by tightening the shell plate (for minimal case wiggle) and really tightening up the white plastic piece that holds the case firmly in the shell plate (the thing that is where the locator buttons normally are), I almost completely eliminated my priming problems.

Hope this helps someone.

That's usually worked for me as well. I have a 1050, not a super 1050. I have less problems with pistol priming than I do with LC brass in 223.

• 1 month later...

I was having the same problem with my super 1050, sideways, missing, and crushed primers, up to 5 or 6 per 100. Then a friend of mine noticed that some of my primers seemed to be sittine a little high in the case. I adjusted the alignment bar on the tool head that pushes on the rocker arm that pushes in the primer seating rod, and all the primer problems went away.

Hope this works for someone else.

• 8 months later...

OK, Been running off and on for a while now. Started missed primers recently, no smears, no crushed, just missing. Have to watch the follower rod to actually see it fall with each stroke. It would actualy hang up. I could feel the primers drag when I pushed the follower down.

SO, I took a Q-tip and pushed through the it trough the magazine tube about a dozen times. Quite a lot of residue. Now runs good again.

Jim

Mine is disassembled and ready to head to the factory tomorrow. For every 100 rounds loaded, approximately 30% won't have a primer in it. We have done everything that seems possible for me to do, so I will let them look it over.

I have just loaded 1500 rounds of 40 on my 650 this week with no primer failures.

I have a lot of Dillon equipment, but I have sure regretted this 1050 purchase... :( My Lee Pro 1000 did better than this.

My Dillon Story....

Edited by Mr. Chitlin