Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bird Strike

JThompson

Airbus A320 plane out of Laguardia is thought to have a double bird strike and the pilot put it down in the Hudson without a breakup... what a piece of flying! I have never seen a plane that size go in the water without breaking up. I think everyone got off fine after the crash... Thanks to the man upstairs are in order.

Nice job guys! :cheers:

Edited by JThompson

This is a flight that I routinely travel on when I get to the airport early and can go standby.

Indeed, the pilot on this one looks to be the hero of the day. He managed to put the plane down safely in the only open spot in the area. The NYC to NJ ferries that run all day pulled up and picked up the passengers. At this point I am still not seeing any reports of any deaths.

I'd say that calling that a plane crash insults the flight crew. If you can land a plane in the water, get 100% of the passengers off and live to tell about it, that's a pretty good day!

Edited by Seth

I've always heard these 2 definitions from pilots: a good landing is one you can walk away from.............a Great landing...you can use the plane again. So this one was a GOOD landing by their own words! :roflol::cheers:

Alan~^~

I'd say that calling that a plane crash insults the flight crew. If you can land a plane in the water, get 100% of the passengers off and live to tell about it, that's a pretty good day!

I second that. Great flying - and true heroes under pressure!

Jack

Another good reason to thin the flocks of nuisance resident geese that hang around most of our citites these days shitting all over everything....

So how hard can it really be to engineer a jet engine that's goose-proof, for chrissakes?

So how hard can it really be to engineer a jet engine that's goose-proof, for chrissakes?

Its called a GE-90 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Electric_GE90 - watched video of the building and design of the 777. They had footage of these suckers eating large birds for breakfast! Still, probably not 100% foolproof, but... :)

Absolutely masterful flying!

Its called a GE-90 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Electric_GE90 - watched video of the building and design of the 777. They had footage of these suckers eating large birds for breakfast! Still, probably not 100% foolproof, but... :)

Absolutely masterful flying!

I saw that - that was cool. hard to stop those things. It's gotta take muliple large birds all at once to stop one...

I fly far too often and have always, repeat always rolled my eyes when they described what to do after a "water landing" My images of auguring in at 300 mph did not exactly line up with the phrase "landing". Guess I will have to listen next time they try to tell me what part of my seat works as a flotation device.

Very, very nicely done.

Yeah, that's just a forced landing that didn't wind up on dry land. Amazing piece of airmanship in every sense of the word.

My father retired as a US Airways Shuttle pilot and still knows a bunch of the guys there. He called to let me know to get to a TV when it happened....I'm still not sure if he knew the pilot or not. I hope they give him a bonus!

The NTSB will probably call it pilot error, pull his ticket and make him take a checkride :lol:

Another good reason to thin the flocks of nuisance resident geese that hang around most of our citites these days shitting all over everything....

When I was still in the USAF we had an AWACS bird out of Alaska go through a flock of Canada geese after takeff and sucked birds into both engines on one side. The plane rolled into the dead engines and plowed straight in...killed everyone on board. Shortly after that they started the Bird Aircraft Strike Hazard (BASH) program. I was at Andrews at the time and suggested that we would look really stupid if AF-1 sucked some birds into the engines after takeoff and crashed. We had three large ponds right past the end of the runways (parallel) that had quite a few resident geese and ducks. I was elected game warden for the base and was told to get rid of them....it took a while, but it eventually worked. The $1.2M they spent on a propane canon system hadn't worked out so well...they got used to the sound and wouldn't budge. I found more "persuasive" methods.

The problem with the jet engines is a combination of size, RPMs and how light/brittle the fan blades are. They have to be light, thin and very hard which makes them vulnerable. All engines are tested and certified for bird ingestion, but I doubt they test with anything as large as a goose and I don't think they test for multiple strikes. The crash in AK had more than one bird going in each engine if memory serves me. Once you break or bend one of those long fan blades it creates a huge imbalance and even if it will still run, it'll shake itself off it's mount if left under more than minimal thrust...a bad deal all the way around.

I suspect that the crew today had either an idling engine left or partial power to run the hydraulics for the flight controls. I'm not certain on the A320, but some planes can run the hydraulic system off the auxiliary power unit (which is typically left on in twin engine jets for takeoff just for this reason)...so it's possible they had an engine windmilling and could run the pump off the APU. If the engines both seized then they couldn't run the pump off the APU.

It'll be a very interesting read when the NTSB issues the report. I think they're going to find a lot of goose dents on the wings when they get that plane out of the water.

I suspect that the crash investigators are excited about the prospects of getting a downed plane that's in one piece. There's probably a phenomenal amount of information they can gleen from an unwrecked wreckage.