Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon guarantee good for a year (on the tumbler)

Yep

My CV 500 (I've had it a couple years) started making noises like it was slowly dying.

Then it died. I really have not used the crap out if (like I have with the 550) so I was a little suprised that it died.

I was more suprised that the motor on it only had a one year warrantee.

The rest of my experiences with Dillon as a company has been generally exemplary so I was a little suprised to hear the $130 tumbler is good for 12 months.

I ordered a replacement motor for $39 which seems like a good deal.

My tiny Midway econo tumbler is back in action again.

It has seen some serious use since 1996 and has not busted yet.

Now see, I'm the other way around. I've gone through 1 Midway tumbler per year for the last 3 years. Was thinking I should pony up the money and get a Dillon, but the 1 year warranty scared me. Was back to thinking a cheapy ($50) from Midway was the answer again, but now I may have changed my mind again. If I can get a replacement motor from Dillon for $39. Is that $39 SHIPPED ? ..... or do I have to add some for shipping ?

And how long did you say you initially got out of the tumbler ? 2 years ? Better than I've been getting out of my Midways. They always seem to give it up in the middle of the Winter. I run my tumbler out in the shed / garage where there's absolutely no heat. I guess they dont like the Ohio cold any more than I do! :ph34r:

My fl2000 ran for twenty years :surprise:

Then it died a horrid death <_<

I have had their new one for a year now ...and it still goin strong

I would opt to swap the motor every now and then.

jim

I'm pretty sure mine died in between 24 months and three years. Probably two and a half is accurate.

$39 for a new motor is not alot of money. But the NO BS guarantee of Dillon does not apply to their tumbler.

And again this may be just only me experiencing a problem with my Dillon tumbler.

When I buy stuff from Dillon I go into it thinking I can pay less (and maybe sometimes more) but I wont ever find better gear.

In this case it did not work out that way.

RCBS sells their biggie tumbler for $89. plus SH. I have no idea if they have a warranty either.

I know you cannot warranty a motor forever.

After fifteen years of moderate to heavy use, the shaft of the motor on my CV500 sheared off at the base of the motor. Dillon "rebuilt" (new motor, new springs, and a minor part) it for $39.95. They paid the return shipping, but I had to spring for the shipping to them. A pretty good deal all in all.

A-G

Dillon recommends that you only run the tumbler for a maximum of 2 hours at a time. This is pleanty of time to clean all of your cases. Some people will leave it on overnight or for a number of hours and this puts extra strain on the motor and it will die on you.

I learned this the hard way. Since learning the correct way to use my tumbler I've never had another problem.

I was fortunate to have mine go belly up during the warentee period and was told what my mistake was.

My CV 500 has been tumbling along for about 15 years. I am sure it will die some day (duh) so I picked up a newer used one to press into action when the inevitable happens. I noticed the newer one does not vibrate as harshly(?) as my original. Takes longer to clean brass it seems.

CYa,

Pat

I just picked up the CV-750 due to my second CV-500 dying and I have noticed that it doesn't clean as well either. It doen't sift the media in in a rotating fashion, it just vibrates the media. :huh: I am kinda bummed with the new one. Good to know about the 2 hour limitation. I will be observing that in the future. Maybe clean for two hours and cool down for an hour then another two hours. I run mine on one of those timer doo-hickeys.

My fl2000 ran for twenty years :surprise:

Then it died a horrid death <_<

I have had their new one for a year now ...and it still goin strong

I would opt to swap the motor every now and then.

jim

Exact same experience, although I wasn't shooting IPSC until 2005 when the use meter pegged!!

I too went through several motors......My problem was weight. I limit the 2000 to 15lbs of brass and it runs like a top and the motor never gets hot. Too much weight and you will fry the motor, it was an expensive lesson for me..... :wacko:

DougC

Well in the interest of complete honest and forthright communication, my dillon tumbler was run for hours at a time.

Some times as many as like 5 of them, probably more.

I must have missed that in the instructions.

My Midway tumbler has been run for hours and hours also, but with no ill effects.

Now I know/

Dillon recommends that you only run the tumbler for a maximum of 2 hours at a time. This is pleanty of time to clean all of your cases. Some people will leave it on overnight or for a number of hours and this puts extra strain on the motor and it will die on you.

I learned this the hard way. Since learning the correct way to use my tumbler I've never had another problem.

I was fortunate to have mine go belly up during the warentee period and was told what my mistake was.

Bingo! I run my tumbler in the garage because of the noise. Because I can't hear it, I tend to forget about it. After I burned up my first one, I learned a cheap timer would save me a lot of grief.

Is this documented anywhere? <_<

As of 15 minutes ago my CV500 gave up. Rather disappointed since this will be the third replacement motor. I got the 2 hour run time from Dillon when I called the last time for a replacement motor. So I put a timer on it and it didn't help. I don't believe I over load it. It runs on a concrete floor in my garage which is currently 42 degrees inside. Still have my Lyman after 25 years and run it just as often as my Dillon with no problems.

I have 3 Lyman Tumblers.

1 is 24 years old and cleans the same as it was new. Turbo 1200.

1 is 20 years old and same as above. Turbo 2200.

The last is 1 year old and runs like a top. It will only hold 100 .338LM brass. It's a 2500.

Not a dillon tumbler, but along the same lines. I have a dillon d terminator electronic scale. Won't run on a 9v battery anymore,

only ac. Called dillon, warranty is out, they would replace it for something like $90 bucks. Kept in house, controlled enviroment,

used little. To me, a no BS warranty should be just that, no BS, electronic or not.

My Midway tumbler has had extreem use, I am retired and shoot rifle and pistol several times a week in club and sanctiioned matches. I bought it 18 years ago, and a few years back I got a card saying to ship it back because it was a fire hazard. I sent it back and got a brand new one, and have been running it since with no problems also. Maybe I got lucky, but why spend more to get the same results.

Not a dillon tumbler, but along the same lines. I have a dillon d terminator electronic scale. Won't run on a 9v battery anymore,

only ac. Called dillon, warranty is out, they would replace it for something like $90 bucks. Kept in house, controlled enviroment,

used little. To me, a no BS warranty should be just that, no BS, electronic or not.

Dillon makes their presses themselves. Thus they control the quality and can offer the no BS warranty. The electronic stuff is made by a third party. Asking Dillon to warranty them beyond what the third party will warranty them for, is like asking your car dealer to warranty a car beyond what the manufacture does.

Dillon makes their presses themselves. Thus they control the quality and can offer the no BS warranty. The electronic stuff is made by a third party. Asking Dillon to warranty them beyond what the third party will warranty them for, is like asking your car dealer to warranty a car beyond what the manufacture does.

Agree with you but we do pay a slight premium for Dillon reloading accessories and feel just a tad bent out of shape when they break.

It is my understanding that Dillon has some of the machined and cast parts made by outside contractors, so they are already in the business of providing a lifetime warranty on third party products.

The real issue is "do they honor what they promise?" and, as far as written promises from Dillon goes, the answer is a resounding yes. They have always honored all written promises and then some.

About half off the actual selling price price (not an artificial retail price that is routinely discounted 40% or so like another press mfgr does) is pretty good for aging motors or electronics. I can think of a number of electronic accessory manufacturers serving the USPSA market who won't give you a dime off a new unit when the old one reaches the end of its useful life.

It is my understanding that Dillon has some of the machined and cast parts made by outside contractors, so they are already in the business of providing a lifetime warranty on third party products.

The real issue is "do they honor what they promise?" and, as far as written promises from Dillon goes, the answer is a resounding yes. They have always honored all written promises and then some.

About half off the actual selling price price (not an artificial retail price that is routinely discounted 40% or so like another press mfgr does) is pretty good for aging motors or electronics. I can think of a number of electronic accessory manufacturers serving the USPSA market who won't give you a dime off a new unit when the old one reaches the end of its useful life.

Yup, they definitely honor their warranty. Unfortunately, their tumblers do seem to have a much shorter life than others that are cheaper. Many of us have personal experience to back this. Additionally, a quick search here shows a similiar history.

My first CV-500 vibrated off a shelf, fell 4 feet onto a concrete floor, broke the base and then kept chugging for about 7 years.

Then it died, but it didnt owe me a thing.

I called Dillon, sent them the old one that fell and about $30 and they sent me a new one which lasted about a year. The replacement lasted about a year and then went from vigorous vibrating to barely a shudder.

While I was waiting for the last replacement Dillon, I ordered an RCBS unit about the same size as the CV-500.

The RCBS unit is not nearly as rugged and has a lighter plastic bowl and not as easy to get into, but boy does that thing shake! The RCBS unit is still going strong and you can load the thing up and run it for hours and it just keeps working. I attribute this to the lighter bowl which appears to shake easier. Good buy for $59.00 The RCBS unit is about 4 years old now.