Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock "withdrawals" !

Black Gun

I just got a new STI Eagle 40 and it has the best fit and finish of any of my handguns ! It's smooth , the trigger is very good it's just a great gun! I am very fortunate to be able to have one and I can't say anything bad about it, BUT! I really like my Glocks ! and I know its not good to switch back and forth but to me the Glock just feels right! I must be having Glock withdrawals :surprise: I know my 1911 friends think I need help :wacko:

I'm with you. I did the STI thing recently as well but I just couldn't get used to it. Great gun, more accurate than the Glock, but I was slow as hell with it because it just didn't feel right. I'm back to the Glock and now have an expensive paperweight at home.

I'm with you. I did the STI thing recently as well but I just couldn't get used to it. Great gun, more accurate than the Glock, but I was slow as hell with it because it just didn't feel right. I'm back to the Glock and now have an expensive paperweight at home.

Thanks, I thought it was just me!

Looks as though I'm going back to my Glock also. I can't even tell you why I don't shoot another gun as well.

How much time did you give it? How long have you shot the Glock? How much dry-fire practice did you do with the Glock as opposed to the S_I platform?

I can tell you that my practice, both dry and live have been extensive on the 19/2011 platforms, and when I bought a Glock for carry, I could not properly index to feel i could use it for self protection. But.... if I had done the dry and live fire practice, I certainly could have become proficient with the Glock. With the vastly differing grip angles, I NEVER thought I could successfully go back and forth. You have to pick one and stay committed.

I will pose one question, and I don't know the answer ( although I have a pretty good idea), how many of the NON-Sponsored top shooters in Limited use a Glock?

The answer to this question should tell you what platform is better for the majority of shooters.

I said majority, as in NOT all, so pick a platform and go practice. :)

A big part of your dilema is probably mental. :wacko:

No, I'm not saying you're any crazier than the rest of us.....but you feel comfortable with the Glocks and that is your "safe place".

Give the Eagle some time....it will grow on you.

FWIW, I carry a Glock(because I have to) every day at work....but if it was time for the big shootout-I'd rather have my Edge with me !!!!!

Hello: I would still shoot both. More guns=more fun. I shoot both a Glock and 1911/2011 pistols. The key is to practice each one before a match. We shoot IDPA and USPSA here and I just choose which one I will shoot the week before then practice with it. Right now I am using 1911's and love it. When I get bored of that I will shoot either the Glock or 2011. I shoot for fun so that is all that matters to me :cheers: If you are trying to make Grand Master then I would pick a pistol and shoot it all year. Thanks, Eric

If you are trying to make Grand Master then I would pick a pistol and shoot it all year.

100% correct?

Kind of my philosophy, don't know about Grandmaster but I still want to be competitive and keep improving. I felt like I went backwards when I made the switch. I gave it about a month of weekly matches and dry fire. I was constantly searching for the front sight, reloads were off, fumbling to find the slide release at an IDPA match, just not smooth at all. I'm sure if I gave it more time it would have gotten better but was i really going to see a dramatic improvement by switching guns?

Think of it this way, how good were you with a Glock for the first month you owned it? I can tell you that when I switched to the SVI platform from Glock I did what I could to make it a smooth transition. I added Arched mainspring housings to all my SV's so they pointed the same as a Glock, similar sights and similar holsters. Switching everything at once just means you have to relearn everything. One month is not enough time.

Sorry to beat a dead horse but big +1 on give the STI more time. I started shooting pistols right after my 21st b-day and my first purchase was a Glock. I dry-fired and "played with it" all of the time. My first few years shooting USPSA was with a Glock. Then, because I loved the sex-appeal of the 1911 platform I bought a few. Same thing happened to me, could not shoot them for crap and they did not feel right to me AT ALL. So much so that I only kept Glocks in my house and on my person for self defense. Finally, a few years back I made the decision to shoot only 1911/2011 pistols in competition and dry-fire practice for 1 season of competition. The rest is history as they say. I now feel totally comfortable on both platforms. I keep a 2011 Tactical next to the bed and a Glock in my truck. Because I have given enough time to both platforms they both feel natural to me now. I am sure that if you keep your Glock around for self defense but leave it in the range bag and ONLY play with the STI for a few months you will notice the same thing.

Either way, congrats on getting an STI!

Cheers623

DVC

Looks as though I'm going back to my Glock also. I can't even tell you why I don't shoot another gun as well.

How much time did you give it? How long have you shot the Glock? How much dry-fire practice did you do with the Glock as opposed to the S_I platform?

6 months shooting the Tanfoglio Limited exclusively. Did not shoot the Glock much at all, maybe 50 rds.

Worked on dry fire and draws weekly. Worked with a couple GM several times before the Natls.

Been shooting Glocks since 1994. Well over 100,000 rds through this particular gun.

Thanx.

I think there are enough 19/2011 for 3 of us ...send me some too!

Richard

PS: I used to shoot a lot of revolver before the Glock was born (Glock points a lot like a revolver used to for me). Haven't shot a revo for a while but I just picked one up for IDPA and it is a problem switching back from 1911, but what is the sence of only having a limited selection...the more the merrier and heck with "Watch out for the guy with one gun"! Am looking at a couple Glocks too.

Edited by chirpy

Sorry to beat a dead horse but big +1 on give the STI more time. I started shooting pistols right after my 21st b-day and my first purchase was a Glock. I dry-fired and "played with it" all of the time. My first few years shooting USPSA was with a Glock. Then, because I loved the sex-appeal of the 1911 platform I bought a few. Same thing happened to me, could not shoot them for crap and they did not feel right to me AT ALL. So much so that I only kept Glocks in my house and on my person for self defense. Finally, a few years back I made the decision to shoot only 1911/2011 pistols in competition and dry-fire practice for 1 season of competition. The rest is history as they say. I now feel totally comfortable on both platforms. I keep a 2011 Tactical next to the bed and a Glock in my truck. Because I have given enough time to both platforms they both feel natural to me now. I am sure that if you keep your Glock around for self defense but leave it in the range bag and ONLY play with the STI for a few months you will notice the same thing.

Either way, congrats on getting an STI!

Cheers623

DVC

:rolleyes: I want to Thank everyone for the replies there are a lot of good comments and suggestions although I'm not sure about the "nickel-plated sissy pistol" one... :roflol:

I think I have become very comfortable with the familiarity of my Glocks and I will have to commit to putting the time and effort in to "learning" a new shooting platform. I am going to clean my compition Glocks and put them away for awhile so I can spend the time it takes to become comfortable with the STI . I will try to post now and then on my progress.

I've shot in every division with Glocks, 1911s, 2011s, etc. Had a real nice custom STI open blaster for a while. Just didn't suit me. I'm back shooting a G17 in production at the moment. I just love the simplicity of the Glocks. They run great, I can actually work on them myself, cleaning is optional. Simple gun for a simple mind! :roflol:

I've shot in every division with Glocks, 1911s, 2011s, etc. Had a real nice custom STI open blaster for a while. Just didn't suit me. I'm back shooting a G17 in production at the moment. I just love the simplicity of the Glocks. They run great, I can actually work on them myself, cleaning is optional. Simple gun for a simple mind! :roflol:

your not making this any easier! <_<