Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock "withdrawals" !

Black Gun

A big part of your dilema is probably mental. :wacko:

No, I'm not saying you're any crazier than the rest of us.....but you feel comfortable with the Glocks and that is your "safe place".

Give the Eagle some time....it will grow on you.

FWIW, I carry a Glock(because I have to) every day at work....but if it was time for the big shootout-I'd rather have my Edge with me !!!!!

+1! I feel exactly the same as you. I even thought once about selling everything, picking up a G35 and going with that in competition. I don't really notice a HUGE difference when I'm actually shooting them though to tell ya the truth. I'm sure if the time comes when I have to use the Glock on duty I'll be OK with it...

Both platforms are fun to shoot 'kuz it's still trigger time.

Whatever you have....it's a tool.

If it's a different tool than you are used to or different than what feels "natural" ... then there will be a need to become one with the tool.

I find it...interesting...when people say that they can't shoot the Glock because it points too high for them. No, it points differently. Same thing with "whatever" platform.

We can adjust. That is what training is for.

I shoot 2011 for USPSA and a Glock 34 for IDPA. I don't have any problem switching between the two platforms. I notice that when I switch from one to the other the gun will point differently but after a few practice draws my mind/body already has the gun pointing properly.

As others have pointed out, try dryfiring and run some drills with the STI before giving up on it. As far as making it to GM, either platform is fine. Remember it's the Indian and not the arrow. Nothing can take the place of practice.

Think of it this way, how good were you with a Glock for the first month you owned it? I can tell you that when I switched to the SVI platform from Glock I did what I could to make it a smooth transition. I added Arched mainspring housings to all my SV's so they pointed the same as a Glock, similar sights and similar holsters. Switching everything at once just means you have to relearn everything. One month is not enough time.

How about a year? I shot a Glock 35 almost daily for a year. My games are IDPA & USPSA Limited. I thought I'd like to try a 1911 style pistol so I bought a Para 16/40 and shot it exclusively and daily for nearly a year too. At the end of that year I took both guns and the timer out for a walk...Guess what....I could still shoot the Glock faster and more accurately. What some folks are not taking into consideration is individual hand and finger size and strength differences. I'm not a big guy and getting a proper grip on the Para was close to impossible. The grip issue and extra weight of the Para made my transitions slower then the Glock... <_< I'd give any new gun platform to be used in competition at least a 2000 round tryout, but not much more than that ...Back to Glock for all of 2008... :P

Glocks and 1911 type platforms have a different grip angle. The different grip angle on the two guns will have an effect on your hands and arms when in the (correct) firing position. The Glocks seem to work best with the shooters arms almost fully extended which allows the sights to properly align; whereas the 1911/2011 platforms with a less severe grip angle allows the shooters arms and hands to remain in a more neutral position (elbows slightly bent with both wrists cammed slightly forward). What most shooters find when they try to switch from one platform to another is the way the sights either come up during the draw; front sight either high or low or the way the sights track during recoil due to the different arm positions of most shooters depending on which firearm they are using. Either way it takes a while to re-train your muscles to use a different platform. The minor difference in grip angle makes a major difference in the way these two platforms feel to the shooter. Now is the off season. If you are serious about switching platforms start with dryfiring. I hope this helps explain why there is so much difficulty for most shooters to switch between the two platforms.