Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Want to compete next summer, where to start.

Patrick Scott

Hello all,

I want to start shooting in competition this coming summer. I have shot since I was about 8(28 now). I have an XD 45acp and two mags that I want to use. What books/gear/stuff should I get so I can start practicing at home this winter? What should I get to go shooting this spring.

Thanks

Patrick Scott

Patrick,

I just got back into this late last year, so I can give you what I have bought and why.

If you are going to go the USPSA route, I would say get a good Kydex holster. I have the Bladetech DOH and I really like it. I do not think you could go wrong here as you can take off the piece that makes it hang low and still shoot IDPA should you wish.

I also use the Bladetech mag pouches. They are adjustabe for tension and as durable as I think I'll need.

The Belt I use is a CR Speed. I really like this belt. It wasn't pricey, and it works well. It is stiff which as you begin to dryfire, you will see the advantage of good gear. I bought old-school leather late last year and replaced it all by March/April because it just wouldn't hold up to the repetitive presentations and reloads required in dryfire. These belts have an inner belt that you wear inside your loops, and an outer that you thread through your gear. In this way, you can easily un-ass your gear without switching belts. How we did without I cannot tell you. In the old days I would have to take several minutes getting my gear off my belt at the trunk of the car, it was a hassle to say the least.

I have Lift brand eye protection. These are poycarbonate lenses in a sturdy nylon frame. Many guys here use specialized eye protection, but I went with the Lifts because I wear them at work, and they make colors I like. I originally used a yellow tint but have recently purchased clear because I find my eyes just like the clear better. I may switch to a polorized lense for the summe as I shoot in the desert on a sand range and that is as much glare as you can get besides snow and ocean, but for now it's clear.

Lastly for ear protection, I use plugs. Many like the electronics, but I just like plugs. I can buy a 100 ct container of them for about 5-6 bucks and that lasts me a couple of seasons. I will say that I do not shoot an open gun. If and when I do, I will probably switch and also use plugs. If you haven't heard a compensated open gun light up on the line it will wakeyou/startle you. They are LOUD!

So that is what I use. As far as range bags go, I'll have to deferr to others as I have yet to find just what I like in that department.

Also, if the bug bites you really hard, research a reloader. I have a Dillon Square Deal and it suits be fine for now, but I can see I will probably be getting a 650 by the end of 09. Reloading can enhance your shooting experience as it can reduce your costs per round meaning you will be able to shoot more for the same amount of money.

That's what I got, hope it helps.

Jimmy

Edited by JimmyZip

First, decide what you want to shoot USPSA or IDPA or both since your XD (.45 is OK but 9mm is cheaper to compete with due to high ammo and component prices) can be used in either. Use the club locater function on their web sites (I ususally just type in USPSA or IDPA and that gets me close enough to the home page - just lazy I guess!). Locate a club or clubs and contact someone there. They might have indoor or outdoor shoots thru the winter if in warmer area (forgot to check to see where you are from). Visit, ask a lot of questions and look a lot. Get at least 2 more mags (a good idea anyway because they might be going up in price or become hard to get). As far as other equipment...good shooting glasses and ear protection are a must. A good range bag, gun cleaning and lubricating stuff. If you don't reload, consider it somewhere down the line (save your brass).

Read the rules and equipment sections also on web site. Ask questions (there is no such thing as a dumb question unless you don't ask it). Do searches on this forum for belt/holster/mag pouches.

Others will add (and subtract) from this list I'm sure.

Have fun. Be safe.

Welcome,

Richard

PS: Unless you just hit the lottery or are rich don't think you have to spend a lot of $$$$$ to get involved. I learned the hard way.

Forgot to add, Steve Andersons books and Brians also are good. Brians will haunt you as you will find yourself re-reading it because it will mean more the more you know.

JZ

Edited by JimmyZip

Not knowing your location, it could be that you are closer to a club that shoots USPSA than IDPA (or the other way around). I shoot both, many folks choose to do only one. You may want to go to both and then decide for yourself. Rulebooks and club locations for each/both games can be found at their websites:

www.idpa.com

www.uspsa.com

There are definite eqyuipment differences between the two (worth looking at equipment rules for both before spending money on gear), but the advice you've gotten so far is good (4 mags, CR Speed, etc). Prior to your 1st match, it's worth the time to make sure you know the safety rules, can manipulate your handgun (draws, reloads, stoppages) and know where the bullet is 'gonna go when you pull the trigger.

Welcome to the shooting game(s), this forum is a geat place to start, but best prepare yourself: this is addictive!

dan

Some instruction couldn't hurt either. Whether it be from one of the sports' best or from one of your club's better shooters, ALL instruction is worthwhile and will accelerate your learning curve, especially at the beginning.

Rich

IMNSHO you dont need to go bananas over gear when starting out. Just run what you have. I guarantee you will not lose a match because of your equipment. Get any holster that will hold your gun securly. You need ammo holders for four mags and five magazines. OK, you can maybe get by with three or four mags most of the time, but once in a while you will more, at least in IPSC or anywhere if you blow a mag change or have a jam.

Again, the mag holders dont have to be any particular brand. Any Uncle Mikes specials will do the job just fine when you are starting out. You can upgrade later. I mean heck, as was already suggested, if you really get the bug you might change guns or calibers and why a bunch of expensive equipment you no longer need.

Safely wise do not cut any corners. Get a good pair of impact resistant glasses. And as a person whose ears never stop ringing I would heartly advise you to wear both plugs and muffs. If the muffs are of the electronic varietly they will amplify normal sounds so you can hear normal sounds (like range commands) just fine. But they will cut off when you start to make banging sounds.

Yes, you will need something to carry your stuff. A small backback will get the job done. And it is easier to carry than a bag if you ask me.

I think you will find these forums as usefull as any book for advice on how to pratice. One thing I will tell you is to NEVER have any ammo what-s- ever in the same room when you are drying firing. Not even an unopened box or a single loose round.

Have fun and good luck.

Yankee dog

Looking to shoot USPSA,location is North East Vermont, so far the closest club/matches I have found are here: http://www.gmps.ws/ It works out real well that my girl's best friend lives about 1/2 mile from the range. She can visit while I shoot :) I got the gun, looks like I need some more mags, good holster(just have my IWB everyday rig for it now), mag pouches. I have a decent range bag, elec. muffs and plugs, reloading equipment, eye pro. I have a whole room dedicated to gun "stuff" I have most of the support equipment needed. Im thinking I should pick up Brian's book, Anderson's books, some scaled down dri-fire targets, a timer, and some full weight dummy rounds, in addition to the above mentioned. Thanks for the quick replies and keep them comming!

It works out real well that my girl's best friend lives about 1/2 mile from the range. She can visit while I shoot :)

Why don't you get her invloved?

Because he knows that then he would have to spend twice as much on ammo, and she'd want new guns for christmas.... :wacko:

Only two things are important next year when you

step onto the firing line for the first time:

1. Safety - much more important than accuracy

or speed

2. Accuracy - much more important than speed.

First time I shot IPSC, I made sure I hit the targets

and I was pretty slow, but I hit the targets. But, I

noticed how fast everyone else was shooting, so the

2nd time I went out, I shot fast, and MISSED - got

a much worse score.

Safety, first, accuracy second - the speed comes

later with technique.

Good luck, you picked a great hobby.

Jack

LOL....no, I love my current gun, thanks. No new gun for me for Christmas this year (unless you already got one :o )

:D

It is thanks to you I now have a sweet little Tanfo Stock. :) Love that gun btw... you are not getting that one back Matt. :D

It varies a lot from person to person, but for me the competition is the fun part, not the gear or the actual act of shooting. With that being said, my "going to the match" list is also a good beginner's list. I always ask myself when I go out the door:

"Eyes, ears, mags, holders, belt, gun, ammo?"

Those are the seven things you absolutely have to have in order to shoot a match. (well, without borrowing) Everything else is either remediation for equipment failure or for comfort.

So my advice is to take care of the seven, and start shooting matches. You'll blow a ton on accessories soon enough. For specific gear, get foam earplugs, a 10$ set of muffs, 3$ worth of clear safety glasses from Lowe's, double mag pouches from Bladetech (or Unc. Mike or whoever, don't pay more than 20$ for them) and mags from where they are cheapest. (usually natchezss.com or cdnninvestments.com)

The only actual piece of world-class gear you should get from the start is a good dual belt system. That's really the biggest difference I saw in my first year, that having a big stiff belt really adds to the safety and consistency of the draw and reload.

H.

Edited by Houngan

"Eyes, ears, mags, holders, belt, gun, ammo?"

Big +1.

"eyes, ears, gun, ammo, mags, holster, mag-holders, belt" I run down this checklist every time before going out the door.

In fact, I've done it so often my wife usually runs down the list for me before I leave since she's heard it so much.

Few things suck worse than showing up to a match and figuring out you forgot your gun.

All my other gear just helps, but is not "needed." In fact, the mag holders are not "needed" as you can use a pocket just fine.

-rvb

It works out real well that my girl's best friend lives about 1/2 mile from the range. She can visit while I shoot :)

Why don't you get her invloved?

Because he knows that then he would have to spend twice as much on ammo, and she'd want new guns for christmas.... :wacko:

And they always want open guns..... custom open guns.....expensive, custom, open guns.....

JS

Welcome to the addiction. I started last year about this time from scratch too (Fall 2007). I stayed safe and had a great time. After using what I had for a while, I bought an STI Trojan...love it.

I would suggest Matt Burkett's DVD's. I just bought Vol 1-3 and Vol 4 Combo from our host http://www.brianenos.com/store/dvd.matt.html

Brian's running a combo deal right now for the pair. I wish I hadn't taken so long to buy them. It is just a really good place to start with lots of things to consider.

...and buy Wilson Combat mags for your .45...done

Just my $0.02

Edited by hk_mtbr

• 2 years later...

Who's up for a necro-post. So it didnt happen the way I planed, my second son was born in may of '09 and well as you other parents know I had no time for shooting. The XD is gone, I'm a Glock fan boy now. I just picked up my third Glock(34) today with the sole intention on shooting the Production division with it. I have a 19 and a 26 for carry and this ones only purpose is USPSA. I just wanted to revisit this post for all the tips everyone gave me. Thanks again and I hope to see you on the range.