Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Was/Is The Thing That Clicked?

JimmyZip

Dryfiring a couple of minutes ago, and I was wondering this thing. I am seeing improvement in a few areas, but my reloads are getting smoother. Not really fast at all, but just smooth. I can feel them in my mind. What I mean by that is if I think of what they should feel like when I do them properly, I can do them well. It seems as if these things are starting to work in my head.

So what was it with you? And, what is it with you if you are a D, C, B, A, M,. GM. What are the things that you have worked on or are working on that have or are just clicking with you?

Curious Jim

I have worked on reloads since i have started this sport in 2005, Every practice session i have done (dry firing) has been at least 15 minutes everytime on reloads. When I was last shooting, I had gotten my reloads down to 1.2 seconds and lower, plus I had instinct that if I Farked one up, i would automatically do my reload over again without hesitation. Realizing that i did this after i got done with a stage was actually uplifting that i have gotten down a flow.

Edited by Coolduckboy

I don't dryfire so most of my 'revelations'/epiphanies' include:

1. try to relax at the beep

2. Stop 'trying' to go too fast. Try to get that feeling that you know/realize that you're going as fast as physically possible and that any additional effort or 'trying' will just screw it up/slow you down.

3. 'calling' the shot just doesn't mean lining up the sights or putting the dot on target and pulling the trigger. It means doing all that and watching the sights start to lift from that point on the target before transitioning to the next.

One of my most recent epiphanies occured while watching TJ shoot a stage at Fredricksburg last summer. I had already shot the stage. The realization was that his splits and transitions were no faster than mine were while he shot the stage, but his time was much faster. The simple math concluded the time gained didn't come from the speed of his shooting, but the efficiency of his movements throught the COF. He was picking up .1-.3 seconds here and there through the course that I had not realized were there to gain. The efficiency was not forced, but simply happened. It was subconscious and engrained. Needless to say, I use a lot more of my live fire practice on how I move vs how I shoot now.

I've thought about that epiphany a lot since then. I found I related to learning Akido of all things. The harder I try to force proper motions and form in Akido, the worse my form gets. There's a learning phase to the motions, but after the motions are learned the hardest part is letting go and just letting the motions happen. Well, it's zen... To me, zen is unforced focus and it's damn hard to let go when you are a control freak.

1st-looking the mag into the magwell

2nd-moving the weak hand to meet the strong in the middle of my chest during the draw

After that, the hits just kept coming. Fluidity of movement, performing actions without conscious thought...etc.

I was at the Gator and there was a target that was shot throught two ports. You had to lean to the left and kind of get in the first port to shoot it.

I switched eye's and shot it with my left eye.

That was not planned, it just happened.

What clicked was that cool things happen when I let go.

DK

Over time, many experiences added up to - Stop caring. (About yourself, your score, your time, or your points.) Learn to see, do, and feel what it takes for you to get the job done. And do just that.

I know that isn't the "one thing," but I felt like typing it anyway. ;)

The first overwhelming experience that put everything I did on a new path, was when I REALLY LOOKED RIGHT AT THE FRONT SIGHT, for a 6-shot string at 50 yards (shooting prone, practicing for Bianchi). I lost all sense of time whatsoever. And the group was probably tighter than the pistol would should out of a machine rest.

I had a similar experience shooting a shotgun. This was after years of shotgun shooting, and MANY thousands of shells, for the first time ever, I just LOOKED RIGHT AT THE TARGET. Peripherally, effortlessly, I noticed the lead doubled, and I smashed a hard target I wasn't previously able to break.

Once you've worked out your equipment and techniques, the key to improvement lies in learning, from moment to moment, where to place your attention. Forget about everything else.

be

Once I figured out to stop blinking and leaving both eyes open only could I start to see better and track my sights. It was a whole new shooting world.

That was the first one, now I have to get to work with the rest.

<_< It was when I realized why I shoot competition. I shoot for the few seconds that you can make time not exist. for all the action that takes place in-between one second and the next

What if we lived all day like that ?

Edited by AlamoShooter

Like everyone seems to be saying, it comes together (for me anyhow)at the times that I am just doing it and not really aware that I am thinking.

I was shooting trap one time quite a few years ago and the sun was right in my eyes so seeing the target once it got to a certain point was not an option. The guy teaching me said to just "swing through, you know where the bird will go" I wasn't thinking, trying or concentrating, just swinging and shooting. In the end I broke 24 of 25 and never really saw myself do it but felt in the grove and very calm and relaxed.

Being able to actually see the sights lift. I have been shooting for about six months now, without seeing what I needed to see. It would have taken me much longer without the help of this site and Brian's book. Much more to work on now that I have the ability to see.

Thanks to all of you who have helped by posting what you have learned.

G

I shoot in C class Limited. I have the course of fire on video, involves lots of movement and two reloads. When I was shooting it felt like I was moving delibratly and smoothly and at the same time I "felt" like I was at the limit of my ability. When I watched the video I was suprised to see how slow I was, but I only dropped 4 points (two Charlie's). I know that for that moment I was shooting at my 'present' best.

Like many said preiviously, I would agree that awareness is foundemental...

• 2 weeks later...

I have been having a fair number of breakthroughs and epiphanies as of late. The most recent is my index. I have finally gotten to the point that when I index and point-in or transition, my sights are right there where I expect them to be. I had been catching the sight as it came into my field of view and then following it to the target. My hits were okay, but they could have been better. Now while the gun is not on target, my eyes are focused on the exact part of the target that I want to hit. The sight comes up to the point where I am looking on the target and focus switches to the front sight.

1st-looking the mag into the magwell

2nd-moving the weak hand to meet the strong in the middle of my chest during the draw

After that, the hits just kept coming. Fluidity of movement, performing actions without conscious thought...etc.

I didn't realize I wasn't doing number two. I changed my dryfire draws and now it seems the sight aligns both quicker and smoother..

My key for reloads is seeing the opposite side of the magwell, when that happens all is well.

1. you can shoot as fast when you see your sights.

2. See what you need to..no more, Seeing your sights on target is enough, you don't need to confirm that they are on target

3. The bullet hits at the bottom of the red stripe, not in the middle

4. charging into a position just takes more time to set up. come in smooth, ready to shoot

watching Matt Burketts DVD's,..and reading Brian's Book. Cut out all the crap and get a sight picture,..press the trigger without disturbing the sight picture.

Don't think about results,.. have fun!

I started doing more group shooting at the beginning and sometimes end of a session.

I also examined my self shooting,..looked at times,..and worked on things that were slowing me down. I worked on mag changes a lot in 2006,..also on the draw a bit. Steel seems to slow people down sometimes,.so I practiced on steel and it gave me an advantage at local matches.

last year I worked more on stage break-down, moving into and out of positions better/faster and tried to shoot cleaner. For Distance targets I tried to just shoot the rounds required,..shot two rounds per target instead of my usually 2-3 or whatever. I guess it got back giving the target and sights the attention they deserve at distance,..and called my shots better.

Making the conscious decision to shoot at 90% of my skill level. It has greatly smoothed out my overall performance and allowed me to finish with a higher overall standing. It feels painfully slow, so the challenge was accepting that the perception of speed was just that, a perception.

I was going to answer this but when I started thinking about i realized there were many things that clicked and each resulted in a step up the ladder. So I dont think its just one thing unless maybe you are talking about going up one level. Not necessarily a class since your improvement may be at levels plateauing between or within the class break points.

The one thing that I can point to is when I finally accepted the fact that I was cross-eyed dominant and started shooting with my dominant eye. The front sight came into focus and it was amazing what I could see.

fwiw

dj

Making the conscious decision to shoot at 90% of my skill level. It has greatly smoothed out my overall performance and allowed me to finish with a higher overall standing. It feels painfully slow, so the challenge was accepting that the perception of speed was just that, a perception.

Sounds good. I think I will give it a try and see what happens. It seems like I try too hard. Could be that Running at 90% would smooth things out.

Good tip!

Sounds good. I think I will give it a try and see what happens. It seems like I try too hard. Could be that Running at 90% would smooth things out.

Good tip!

That is a good one. Which worked real good for me. The "juice" that only comes in a match turns what feels slower to actually be faster.

be

This is exactly the kind of thread that makes this site so great. Me, I'm sort of an average shooter, I suppose, but the main problem is I'm a thinker. I just can't seem to "shut up".. but then I found that when I shoot a stage, or even a string, I am calm mentally. Or rather; I discover afterwards that I have been calm and at ease.

As of late, I shoot the first target clean, whereas I have usually had a hard time shooting two proper, sighted shots on the first target. I'm not really sure what I am doing right now that I did not before. It puzzles me, but it's a pleasant sort of puzzle. I accept it, mainly, and won't spend too much time breaking it down, I just welcome it. Maybe I am older and a few tads slower, and that might be it, or I am more visually patient, who knows.

Meanwhile, it's so enjoyable to read what other shooters have found to be their rewards in terms of break-throughs or "clicks", or what have you. Particurarly, I liked the way a few people who used to train Aikido found that their centre and movement affected Natural Point of Aim, stance, and the likes. I found the same years ago, plus it taught me how to shoot on the move.

But I ramble ..

Best regards,

Siphon