Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Photo Radar

markcic

Watch out the next time you come through. They are installing a whole lot more of them on different highways. They are moneymakers and do slow down traffic (at least us locals who know they are there.) Also know that they have mobile vans that they park wherever they feel like which will ding you as well.

edited to add to Jim's post. They have photo enhancement which defeats those films. The best way to "beat" these is to drive a vehicle registered to someone of the opposite sex (wife/husband.) When they run the plate and the owner's sex does not match the photo they don't send a ticket out. It has gotten me to normally drive the wife's car. Of course I now get heckled for driving a Volvo wagon, but what the heck......

Edited by Neomet

I have often wondered what they will do for moving violations with a Company Vehicle? OK, My truck went through the wrong lane for EZ-Pass, I get to pay the toll, my truck, my company. BUT, my company is not driving the truck in question, on any given day some vehicles could have as many as three different drivers and I really have no way of knowing who was driving it at a given moment in time. Could be the lead guy or his assistant or one of the other guys on the jobsite that took that truck to make a pick-up for lunch or material.

Jim

I have often wondered what they will do for moving violations with a Company Vehicle? OK, My truck went through the wrong lane for EZ-Pass, I get to pay the toll, my truck, my company. BUT, my company is not driving the truck in question, on any given day some vehicles could have as many as three different drivers and I really have no way of knowing who was driving it at a given moment in time. Could be the lead guy or his assistant or one of the other guys on the jobsite that took that truck to make a pick-up for lunch or material.

Jim

Where I worked the first time that happened, they could not trace the vehicle to the exact employee driving it. The company knew which group the vehicle belonged to, so the company made the manager of that group pay the ticket. Now we don't move a vehicle in the parking lot without signing out for it.

Ted

Well if you wouldnt drive your benzo so fast you wouldn't get a ticket........

DumA**! :lol:

You didn't get one when we were up there for Area 2, why did you get one that time.

Neal in AZ

I don't know why they got me this time. The cool yet frustrating thing was that I watched the video and I was in traffic at the time.

At least in Oregon if it is a Fleet vehicle they will try and collect still. We've had a couple photo radar tickets issued to marked patrol vehicles. If the lights aren't on they send the ticket. I do enjoy driving through with the lights on though. If you get caught on photo radar and can't come up with a good reason they make you pay the ticket and you get written up. Kinda sucks getting both.

I thought that the courts had decided that Photo Radar was unconstitutional and therefore a non-valid traffic infraction?

Nope, there is no "right to drive" so the fact that they give you a ticket through remote means, doesn't violate the Constitution.

There might be some states or towns that have ruled against photo radar, so it doesn't get used, but that's just a local/state matter. R,

Next time sit high up in your seat and lower the visor. The ticket is suppose to go to the driver. If they can't identify the driver, you might be able to get off on it.

The other option is to leave the front plate off. A ticket for not having a front plate is usually less than a speeding ticket.

Next time sit high up in your seat and lower the visor. The ticket is suppose to go to the driver. If they can't identify the driver, you might be able to get off on it.

The other option is to leave the front plate off. A ticket for not having a front plate is usually less than a speeding ticket.

This is what got the cameras removed in and around Fayetteville, NC. Of course, my car is still registered in NC...no front plate. ;)

Rich

"They will still issue the ticket even if unable to ID the driver.

If you try to claim you were not driving your car? No problem.

They will say "Fine then tell us who was driving when the picture was taken and have them pay the fine."

Easy way out of all this ranting about picture traffic enforcement...don't break the V&T Laws.

Otherwise go complain to your elected officials and see if you can get them to ban the use of camera V&T enforcement.

Personally I don't like the camera enforcement but its there until the powers that be say its gone.

JK

From an L.E. website:

Camera doesn't lie, or tend to lose

By Mark Schlueb

The Orlando Sentinel

ORLANDO, Fla. — Orlando has nabbed 6,025 red-light runners since it installed automated cameras at a handful of intersections just 2 1/2 months ago — and so far, only one driver has beat the rap.

The first round of drivers to appeal their citations since the cameras began snapping pictures went before a hearing officer at City Hall on Thursday. They got little sympathy from Hearing Officer Carroll Barco, a traffic-court veteran who found the photographic evidence more convincing than the excuses he heard.

"The photographs are so clear that the defendants — if they're not being irrational — can look and see that it's their vehicle," said Barco, who rejected all but one of the appeals.

The success of Orlando's system is being watched by officials across Florida who want to install cameras in their cities, despite opposition from state lawmakers and privacy advocates. As many as 40 cities and counties — including several in Central Florida — have either begun operating camera systems or started the process.

Some plan to go even further, using the cameras to write speeding tickets, too.

"Folks have made the argument that there are problems with the technology," said Mike Rhodes, who runs Orlando's program. "I think the people who make that argument aren't familiar with the technology. The camera doesn't lie, and the video is even more telling."

Even city officials were surprised by the number of violators caught so quickly. Fines from the cameras total more than $750,000, of which the city has collected about $310,000 so far. And there's talk of installing cameras at other intersections. That decision won't be made until the program is reviewed after six months.

On Thursday, only one of the 11 cases that were appealed was successful. Serhiy Natrasenyuk of Winter Park said he was trying to sell his Isuzu Rodeo SUV, and a prospective buyer on a test drive was the one caught on camera running a red light.

After watching the video, Barco cleared Natrasenyuk and ordered the city to send the citation to the real red-light runner.No other driver was as lucky.

Photos trump words

City officials projected camera images onto a large screen, showing the offending vehicle first before it entered an intersection where the light was already red, and then as it rolled through the intersection. A final image offered a close-up of the vehicle's license tag, and slow-motion video showed the whole sequence.

Even so, not everyone was convinced.

One woman insisted the light was yellow, acknowledging that the hearing officer had only her word against photos that proved otherwise.

Another seemed angry that the judge wouldn't accept her explanation that she wasn't driving.

"So, even if my husband was driving, it's still my fault?" asked Johanna Kerr of Orlando.

"You own the car — you're responsible," Barco replied.

Several questioned the accuracy of the system, which is set to take pictures only after a light turns red.

One Orlando man said the camera lenses must have been affected by the same bright sunlight that kept him from seeing the red light.

Another pointed to differing time stamps on the still images and the video; both showed him driving through the light, but he argued that the one-hundredth-of-a-second difference in the time stamps proves there's trouble with the city's robot cameras.

Loss tacks on $30

All of those explanations were rejected, and the drivers had $30 in administrative costs added to their $125 tickets. The citations are not moving violations, so they don't add points to the violator's license. Instead, the citation is tied to the vehicle, like a parking ticket.

Eddie Mitchell, a contractor who lives in Waterford Lakes, vowed to take his appeal to Circuit Court — and to the Supreme Court if necessary.

Mitchell said his work van was loaded down as he left a job site, and it would have been dangerous to stop for the red light at Vineland and Conroy roads, where the yellow light seemed shorter than most. A human patrolman would have agreed, Mitchell said, but instead he was ticketed by a faceless machine.

"Had an officer been there, I feel like he could have assessed the situation," Mitchell said. "It's against civil rights to have a system like this in place."

That's not stopping officials in other cities. In Central Florida, Apopka has had cameras for a year, and Casselberry, Lake Mary and Winter Springs are all working toward installing them.

"I don't care if we get one dime from it," said Kevin Brunelle, Winter Springs' acting police chief. "It's about safety at these intersections."

Copyright 2008 Sentinel Communications Co.