Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mattress - Temper-pedic, Sleep Number, etc?

Our mattress is 10 years old and needs replacing.

We're considering the Tempor-pedic or Sleep Number beds - or anything else that might be good.

Does anyone have one of those mattresses and what's your opinion. Thx.

Cy

We've had a Temperpedic for about five years now and LOVE IT.

We knew it was time for a new mattress so went in and started laying on various options at a big store. We knew the Temperpedic was our mattress when we realized we had both fallen asleep on it. I had my keys, wallet, cellphone, etc in my pockets and couldn't even feel them laying on that thing.

They aren't cheap but they are worth it.

I keep telling people, "They'll get my Select Comfort (SleepNumber) matress from me when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers!'

I used to wake with aggrevating lower back pain until I slept on the SC. Since that first night (6 years ago?) I haven't had another occurence. Another thing I like is the adjustable nature of it. Any matress begins to degrade/change from the first time it's slept on. The SC allows you to adjust the firmness infinitely and forever.

I have been sleeping on a "sleep number bed" for about 5 years. The main advantage to the bed is that you can, to a greater extent, please 2 people that do not agree of the firmness of their matress. They offer several models of the bed and they are like the 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000, etc... The numbers roughly correspond to the thickness of the foam pad (in inches) that rides on top of the air matress. My wife likes a very soft matress and I prefer a very firm matress, so she wanted the 5000 series but I could not get the bed firm enough with 5" of foam between me and the rock hard air chamber. The 1000 is close to nothing between you and the air matress. We compromised on a 3000 and that is still a compromise to some extent, but it much closer to what we each want than what we could get with any conventional matress.

I am generally satisfied with the bed, but it is not the answer to everything. Within the next year or two, we are likely to put this bed in the guest room and try a conventional matress again.

I am told that they can now combine the air-spring technology with the "special foam" that might be an improvement.

We have a Sleep Number... We like it. Its not perfect, but its quite comfortable. Even nice hotel beds feel like crap now :lol:

We ended up with the top of the line model. My wife wanted the bed, but I ended up driving us to the high end model - the lower end ones feel much like a water bed, to me, in that you can feel the air bladder shift around and stuff. I hate water beds ;) The more foam and stuff involved, the more dampened that feeling gets (and also, the lower your number ends up being, as the foam does stiffen it up a bit). The biggest issue we've had is the "ditch" sensation - depending on how you set the bed, you can feel like you're both sliding into the middle. If you balance to sides out a little better, you can alleviate most of that sensation. A more firm separation between the air chambers would help, in that regard, but they don't seem to have a great solution for it...

Anyway, I'd buy one again. But I'd also be willing to try a different solution... ;)

No, only when you change settings. The hospital beds that do that stuff aren't just trying to maintain pressure - they're actually constantly changing pressure to prevent bedsores and the like... ;)

Another happy Tempur-Pedic owner here!

Just went through this effort last month and could not be happier.

No risk, no B.S try for 90 days (in writing) if'in-you-no-like, return for full refund, or try another model.

I purchased ours locally and they will pick it up as part of the deal.

My lovely wife thought it may be to firm until the 2nd night now she loves it!

We have the "classic" but I may test drive the "rhapsody" (a little firmer with a second method of air circulation for cooling)

Expensive......yes but so is your S_I and you probably don't sleep with it.

Patrick

I bought a tempurpedic about 4 months ago. My back doesn't hurt anymore when I get out of bed. HOWEVER, the foam holds heat more. During the hot months I slept without any sheets, had the ceiling fan going, plus a fan next to the bed. I was still hot.

DM

No, only when you change settings. The hospital beds that do that stuff aren't just trying to maintain pressure - they're actually constantly changing pressure to prevent bedsores and the like... ;)

good to know...

Another happy tempurpedic owner here for the last 6 years or so. It's not perfect (might be a little soft in the heat of summer and just a titch too firm in the winter) but I don't wake up with back pains in the middle of the night anymore.

Check ebay for memory foam mattresses. They are the exact same thing as a Tempurpedic for A LOT cheaper. I bought a king size mattress 12” thick with 5 inches of memory foam (thicker than the Tempurpedic) for like $700 delivered.

I got a Select Comfort mattress a few years back. It started out OK, but after 3 weeks started leaking air. We would

go to sleep on top and wake up on the plywood underneath as it gradually lost all the air overnight. Any benefits of

the air were more than undone by the plywood. I made many calls to Select Comfort to try to get the problem fixed,

but they just kept making excuses and putting me off for 3 months. Then they said the warranty was up and I would

have to buy a new one. I had to hire a lawyer and threaten to sue them to get a refund and package it up and send it back.

They are NOT the Dillon Precision of the bed industry.

I was going to get a Tempurpedic to replace it with, but read reports of outgassing where the foam releases chemicals into

the air for a long period of time (years) which you end up breathing all night every night.

I ended up with a regular mattress and box spring of good quality that was fairly comfortable. Then I discovered thick

wool mattress covers. They go on top of the mattress, under the sheet and provide an extra layer of padding without

being too soft. They help keep you warm in the winter and cooler in the summer by letting air circulate underneath.

Works for me.

Tempur-Pedic is the worst mattress and the most expensive that I have ever come across.

If you want to cripple yourself and develop a bad back, develop unbelievable pains in the legs, then Termur-Pedic is the mattress for you.

I bought the nice queen size. A month later and I can hardly walk. My back was dislocating on the darn thing - felt like I needed a chiropractor every morning. I ended up curing it by sleeping on the floor for a while and then back to a nice firm mattress. And that's my story.

Don't waste any money on this pain inducing POS UNLESS you can return it after using the thing for at least a month.

Money is better spend giving to bankers, mentally deficient auto companies, making bonfires with dollar bills and such than buying any T-P mattress.

Twelve years sleeping on a TempurPedic mattress. I love it & my wife loves it. However, it did take her a while (a couple of months) to come around to her current opinion. I was hooked from night one and would purchase another if I needed a mattress.

"I was going to get a Tempurpedic to replace it with, but read reports of outgassing where the foam releases chemicals into

the air for a long period of time (years) which you end up breathing all night every night."

The Offshore copies have this problem.

Tempur-pedic's are made in USA.

Patrick

Edited by P.E. Kelley

Tempur Pedic Classic, worth every $

Almost two years ago, I herniated a disc in my back. I could barely walk.

I ended up getting the Rhapsody Tempur-Pedic mattress. Out the door, it was around $4,000 bucks. I would pay double.

It is hot in the summer. The warranty is fantastic! They guarantee that the mattress won't sink more than 1/4" over 20 years. If you end up needing the warranty, all they ask is that you send in pictures, your original receipt and fill out a form which they'll e-mail you. I have a brand new mattress on the way--free of charge.

ETA: It does smell funny when you first get it.

Edited by CSEMARTIN

Great product. Lay on one in the store. I have had one for 4 years. Holy #&@#% was it expensive, but worth every penny for the best support and sleep you get. I just hope it lasts as long as I think it should considering the cost. If you like the mattress, consider getting a pillow of the same material but check Costco or Sam's as they periodically have them for about a third of what the mattress store gets.

May God help your mover when he carries the mattress, they weigh a ton . . . or so.

My wife and I decided to get a new bed last year after deciding to upgrade to a king. My lower back had started to bother me, and it had never done so in the past. We spent a bunch of time doing research and going to mattress stores to try different mattresses. We thought we were going to get a Tempur-Pedic, but stumbled onto something else in one of the stores. The Tempur-Pedic was nice, but when we tried a Simmons Beautyrest Black Luxury Edition, it was a no-brainer. It's absolutely awesome, my back immediately stopped bothering me and we're both totally thrilled with it. Total price was close to some of the Tempur-Pedics, but it was worth every penny! R,