Best Lubrication for Glocks

G17Racing

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
Uh-oh :surprise:

I detail stripped my Glock frame yesterday to clean the parts and didn't put any sort of lubrication on the trigger bar, connector etc. Guess I better take it apart again.

You can usually just field strip it and get lube where you need it to go.....

Either oil or slideglide will suck down into the triggerbar/connector interface if applied from above....

+42 for Slide Glide :wub: . (Slide Glide Lite). I use the super cheap brush and apply it to the barrel and lugs/block. I have a syringe with a very fine tip to apply it to the slide. Temp range from 15 F to 95+ F.

I had been using CLP for the connector, but after reading some of the earlier posts, I will use slide glide for that too...

As a side note, I use CLP on the brush/patches when cleaning my Glock. This combo has worked perfectly.

One word...minimal. Glocks were designed to run at dry and near dry condition. Only issues I have seen is when they are OVER lubed and got gunked up.

For a carry gun- yeah, I agree. For a gun used in lots of competition, I disagree. I run all my competition guns fairly wet with no issues at all.

One word...minimal. Glocks were designed to run at dry and near dry condition. Only issues I have seen is when they are OVER lubed and got gunked up.

So, what have you seen?

I supervised 50+ rental pistols, SMG's and carbines for a few years....they always ran better wet than dry.

I've carried my Glock 19 with generous amounts of lube for years now....never had a problem either.

I'm curious what issues you saw, and how they were related to the amount of lubrication present.

Cheers.

moblie1 works for most all my needs doesnt fall off doesnt mind the cold of fla either... :roflol:

I use the same after Kurt Miller suggested I use it in my AR and Shotgun. I have never felt an action as smooth as they are after switching to Mobile One. Plus it's cheap relative to "gun" oils.

Been using Mobil 20W50 for years. All it takes is a drop on each slide rail, drop on barrel lug, one on connector and another where the barrel goes through the slide. The little needle bottles from Brownells work great.

moblie1 works for most all my needs doesnt fall off doesnt mind the cold of fla either... :roflol:

I use the same after Kurt Miller suggested I use it in my AR and Shotgun. I have never felt an action as smooth as they are after switching to Mobile One. Plus it's cheap relative to "gun" oils.

I must agree.

I ran all kind of pistols, carbines, and SMG's for somewhere in the 100k's of rounds (rental fleet). They performed better on cheap synthetic motor oil than they ever did on Hoppes, or RemOil, or CLP... AND I didn't need to apply it as often. Once that 20w went on, it stayed there better than anything else I've tried.

:roflol: You got to admit, that is pretty funny. I use Brownells Friction defense, they give a lot of it away at bigger matches so I never had to buy any. Oooop's :rolleyes:

All I have ever used to lubricate my firearms is Mobil 1 Motor Oil, ATF, (Automatic Transmission Fluid), and for very high pressure friction points like bolt lugs on bolt action rifles and hinge pins and trunnions on O/U shotguns I use a small amount of STP. I have never had a a gun rust or fail because of a lubrication issue in over 35 years. Gun oils and greases are overpriced "snake oils" in fancy packaging, nothing more. Know what your getting when you spend $8.00 for a bottle of "Castrol / Hoppes Synthetic Gun Oil"? Castrol Syntec Motor Oil. You can buy it all day for around $4.50 @ quart, or pay $8.00 for 4 ounces of it in a fancy brushed Aluminum pump bottle.

Same with a lot of these "Gun Greases". Go into any auto parts store and you can buy a large tube of Moly Grease that will last the average shooter a lifetime for a couple of bucks. It's as good, or better than these miracle gun greases they sell for over $10.00 for a 1/4 ounce! If you like the fancy hypo type applicator, you can get one at Walgreens, CVS, or most any other drug store for around .25 to .50 cents, and it's refillable too boot. Mobil 1 can be tailored to your climate just as you would if you used it in your car. If you shoot or hunt in very frigid climate it comes in a 0W-20 grade that won't stiffen up in cold weather.

Here in Arizona we don't get much cold weather, but in the Summer it can get blistering hot so I use the 20W-50 grade. It has a nice viscosity that won't run off metal and dry up in a few days like some of these water thin gun oils like "Rem-Oil" will. ATF is a very clean non gumming lubricant that works well for lubricating semi autos and fast moving parts like slides and even trigger mechanisms. All 3 of these products can be purchased at any auto parts store for around $10.00, and will last the average shooter for years. I won't overpay for these gun lubes that do nothing better except make you poorer. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary. Bill T.

So, what have you seen?

I supervised 50+ rental pistols, SMG's and carbines for a few years....they always ran better wet than dry.

I've carried my Glock 19 with generous amounts of lube for years now....never had a problem either.

I'm curious what issues you saw, and how they were related to the amount of lubrication present.

Cheers.

I don't think the discussion was about SMG's or carbines...kind of a different set of circumstances ;)

With Glocks I've seen strikers gummed up or literally frozen (yes, in fairly cold climates) to the point they wouldn't fire, more than anything else. It always seems to be a gun that someone has lubed "generously" when I've seen this happen. The folks that put a dab of oil on the frame inserts, a very light sheen on the barrel and where the slide makes contact with it, a drop or so around the crucifix and connector area don't seem to have those problems. R,

All I have ever used to lubricate my firearms is Mobil 1 Motor Oil, ATF, (Automatic Transmission Fluid), and for very high pressure friction points like bolt lugs on bolt action rifles and hinge pins and trunnions on O/U shotguns I use a small amount of STP. I have never had a a gun rust or fail because of a lubrication issue in over 35 years. Gun oils and greases are overpriced "snake oils" in fancy packaging, nothing more. Know what your getting when you spend $8.00 for a bottle of "Castrol / Hoppes Synthetic Gun Oil"? Castrol Syntec Motor Oil. You can buy it all day for around $4.50 @ quart, or pay $8.00 for 4 ounces of it in a fancy brushed Aluminum pump bottle.

Same with a lot of these "Gun Greases". Go into any auto parts store and you can buy a large tube of Moly Grease that will last the average shooter a lifetime for a couple of bucks. It's as good, or better than these miracle gun greases they sell for over $10.00 for a 1/4 ounce! If you like the fancy hypo type applicator, you can get one at Walgreens, CVS, or most any other drug store for around .25 to .50 cents, and it's refillable too boot. Mobil 1 can be tailored to your climate just as you would if you used it in your car. If you shoot or hunt in very frigid climate it comes in a 0W-20 grade that won't stiffen up in cold weather.

Here in Arizona we don't get much cold weather, but in the Summer it can get blistering hot so I use the 20W-50 grade. It has a nice viscosity that won't run off metal and dry up in a few days like some of these water thin gun oils like "Rem-Oil" will. ATF is a very clean non gumming lubricant that works well for lubricating semi autos and fast moving parts like slides and even trigger mechanisms. All 3 of these products can be purchased at any auto parts store for around $10.00, and will last the average shooter for years. I won't overpay for these gun lubes that do nothing better except make you poorer. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary. Bill T.

I totally agree with Bill T.