Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Dad

Micah

In 1984 my father, who was a rather hefty 360 pounds underwent a two fold surgery...he had his galbladder removed and his stomach stapled. Although I was too young to remember much of this, he still carries the scar: one that extends from his solar plexus to his pubis. This surgery saved his life, and rendered him unable to eat solid foods, as this was exceptionally dissimilar to the common gastro-intestinal bypass surgery of today. Unfortunately, it was a GI bypass surgery that claimed the life of my fathers sister, my aunt, long before her age.

As the years have gone on, my father has experienced escalating issues with his stomach that have created a myriad of health issues. On Monday, the 24th of this month, he will once again go under the knife in an effort to remedy the problems. Please think of my father on that day...I'll be by his bedside throughout the surgery and his recovery reading Brian's book for its upteen-millionth time.

About this same time last year my Dad was going thru so many health issues too. Bouncing from Hospitals to Dayton Rehab in the old ST E's. He may not always know you are there but when he does wake up, you being there will bring on a smile. Bring some good reading material. my Dad drifted off to sleep constantly. I pray your Dad comes home again Micah.

Shalom, Micah --

Prayers for you and your dad, for the family and friends who pray for his life, and for the surgical team who is facing an enormous challenge in this.

Call if you need help translating anything from 'doc-speak' or 'medical-ese'. We're here for you.

Prayers sent you and yours.

Something I learned is nurses are always short of pens. Go buy a few packs of ink pens...you can get decent mega packs fairly cheap...and give them to the different shifts of the nursing staff. If you give them out all at once they'll disappear. So give them to your favorite nurses and then drop some off at the nurses station at different times...

It is a nice thing to do...and your dad will be sure to get a little extra good will from the staff..

Some like click pens...some like regular w/caps...but they like free the best.

Good luck and keep us informed when you can...

Thanks a million guys (and gal) :) Dad had an all day meeting at the hospital yesterday with the various physicians that will be involved in the surgery. They all seem quite positive about the outcome.

Still on for the 24th. He's getting more nervous (but not letting on)...and I'm spending as much time with him as possible.

Micah-

Another nugget of advice...Get a notebook/steno pad or whatever, and take copious amounts of notes. When my wife was in the hospital I tried to write down everything the docs and nurses said...procedures, results and especially medications and med schedules. Know what he is taking and how often he can take it.

You think you'll remember things but you won't...just like - BUZZ! Am I shooting the red cards or the black cards?!?!?

Tie one of your new pens to the notebook.

Make everyone else who is in there when you are out, writes down med schedules - taken/not taken etc too.

Let us know if we can help.

PB, I only know of you from reading your posts on this forum. Still, blessings on you and your father.

I had years of troubles with my insides and a future that looked like dying after having Dr's snip away at me a little at a time. When your father is through all of it, PLEASE get him a good quality probiotic to restore the beneficial microbes that are supposed to be in there. He will no doubt be put on a regimen of antibiotics which will leave him open in the long run to be invaded by pathogenic bacteria and fungi. If this is old trouble, it could partly be tied to this anyway. It takes at least a year of taking a high quality probiotic to re-establish a properly balanced colony in the intestines once it has been messed up badly enough. Physicians will tell you it is not important, that gut flora comes back by itself. THAT IS NOT TRUE. I learned things about this that saved my life. I have pointers to information on the web so you can educate yourself on the topic. My dad died not long ago, ultimately as a result from being consumed from inside by bacterial and fungal pathogens he acquired from antibiotic overuse. We didn't get along too well, he and I. Still he was my father and I wish I could have gotten him to hear me on this topic. Brian's book is good stuff to go over, but this might be helpful in ways you can't imagine.

Good luck and a long and happy life to your dad!

"ALWAYS get a second opinion!"

Frank Zappa