Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pmag+Nordic=45 rds

PacMan

I was thinking side-to-side rather than end-to-end - stack two 47-round magazines together side by side, and you've got a limited-legal monopod that you can reload easily from prone. I'm normally not a fan of stacked magazines, but this might be worth playing with...

-C

I was thinking side-to-side rather than end-to-end - stack two 47-round magazines together side by side, and you've got a limited-legal monopod that you can reload easily from prone. I'm normally not a fan of stacked magazines, but this might be worth playing with...

-C

I know that some people put mags side by side....but on the rifles with the ejection port cover, it can get caught when you do that mag change you are talking about, so I like to stagger mine so that the right mag is lower.

"Rifle supporting devices (i.e. bipods, etc.) are not allowed in this class." (from the DPMS rules for tac class).....so officially....using a magazine as a 'supporting' device is kind of a no no....but everyone does it. I think that people using one mag, is tactically feasible and is allowed....but using 2? side by side....with any mag, whether it is a 20, 30, 42, 45, 47, 52 or 60 is gonna be a no no for sure. Along with anyone wanting to put a big flat plate on the bottom of their magazine.

Hows that for a thread drift??? But hey....the reason we came up with the extension is to hopefully....eliminate the need for a magazine change!!! 2 loaded 47 round magazines is pretty darn heavy!!! ( not to mention almost 40 to 50 bucks worth of ammo!!) Not as heavy as a beta but, not the thing I'd wanna do every time I pull out my high cap mag.

So, the PMag extension that comes with the Nordic unit - is it only in black? :) And... I presume it'll work fine w/ a MagLevel PMag (obviously, you'd need to paint a stripe on one of the coils of the Nordic spring...)???

Black is fine :lol:

Besides, I realized that I can easily and effectively number a total of 8 PMags of any given color (ala the Tripp Cobramag numbering system - and, yeah, you could do more, but then you have to look harder...), so I'm getting into black ones anyway... ;)

Black is fine :lol:

Besides, I realized that I can easily and effectively number a total of 8 PMags of any given color (ala the Tripp Cobramag numbering system - and, yeah, you could do more, but then you have to look harder...), so I'm getting into black ones anyway... ;)

Dave: These are going to be available at the Area 6 Three Gun. Come shoot with us and be the first on your block to have one. :cheers:

Well, that would actually require a rifle and a shotgun, wouldn't it?? :D After A2, I'm tapped out for the year ;) But, I'll have a couple on the way from Chuck as soon as I get back from Phoenix...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys.....I ran into a potential problem with the PMAG's. And I want you all to knowjust incase you run into any issues.

I had 2 guys call up that had PMAG's manufactured prior to the recall date that Magpul has their website. In the website they talk about magazine manufactured prior to 06/07 being somewhat sluggish in function, but with a 30 round is may still work for you and you may or may not need to return for a free replacement.

However.....the older PMAG's are slightly different than the mag bodies we are using (current production) and may cause you problems in feeding.

So if you are having any feeding issues, first check the date code on your magazine from Magpul.

MAGPUL WEBSITE regaurding magazines

Tim

I thought about ordering one, but the P-Mags themselves are impossible to find. Everyplace I checked is sold out, and Midway says "no Backorder". Ican see buying the coupler and not being able to find anything to couple it to, except maybe at inflated hoarding prices.

-C

I know that some people put mags side by side....but on the rifles with the ejection port cover, it can get caught when you do that mag change you are talking about, so I like to stagger mine so that the right mag is lower.

"Rifle supporting devices (i.e. bipods, etc.) are not allowed in this class." (from the DPMS rules for tac class).....so officially....using a magazine as a 'supporting' device is kind of a no no....but everyone does it. I think that people using one mag, is tactically feasible and is allowed....but using 2? side by side....with any mag, whether it is a 20, 30, 42, 45, 47, 52 or 60 is gonna be a no no for sure. Along with anyone wanting to put a big flat plate on the bottom of their magazine.

Hows that for a thread drift??? But hey....the reason we came up with the extension is to hopefully....eliminate the need for a magazine change!!! 2 loaded 47 round magazines is pretty darn heavy!!! ( not to mention almost 40 to 50 bucks worth of ammo!!) Not as heavy as a beta but, not the thing I'd wanna do every time I pull out my high cap mag.

Hate to continue the drift, but I have to dissagree with you on this one, Tim. I've never been to a match (USPSA, DPMS, IMGA, or 'outlaw' rules) where resting my rifle on my twin 30 rounders was even questioned, let alone ruled a no - no. I think using something that is integral to the function of a firearm, such as the magazine (whether a single or double), or pistol grip, or forend, would not, and cannot, be considered a "rifle supporting device". If that were the case, then resting the handguard on a window ledge could be considered a supporting device. A supporting device is meant to refer to a bipod, or one of those vertical grips attached to the handguard with legs that pop out of it, which is certainly a bipod. A rifle supporting device refers to a separate accessory that is attached to the firearm (or even intergral with the firearm like the Kel Tec 223 rifle) for the express purpose of providing a shooting support. Using the mags as a gun rest is very practical, and should be in everyone's bag of tricks. Lying prone and trying to shoot while keeping the mags lifted off of the ground is awkward, impractical, and unnecessary. Besides, how could prohibiting the use of mags as a rest be enforced? The RO would practically have to lie down on the ground next to the shooter and try to slip a piece of paper under the magazine!

I do agree, though, that using a single 45 round or so mag pretty much negates the need for two mags clamped together. BTW, twin mags do not seem to be steadier than a single mag when used as a rest, in my experience. So no, I don't see the need for clamping two 47 round mags together, but not because it violates any rules.

Also, I try to get my double mags as level as possible, cause I don't want my "supporting device" to be off-center. Never had them interfer with the dust cover (though they do come close using the CAA coupler), as long as you use the right mag first.

There! Now that I've given my opinion, all thread drift must cease! :rolleyes:

PS, I'll be ordering mine soon!

Edited by jobob

I went to a 3day Magpul Dynamics class last week (Mon/Tue/Wed).

The president of Magpul Dynamics is a personal friend of mine (Travis Haley). During one of the breaks in the class he shot my 3gun rifle with the 47 round PMAG w/Nordic extension. It ran 100%. I had left if loaded for about a week with 47 rounds with the cover on mag.

-C

Hate to continue the drift, but I have to dissagree with you on this one, Tim. I've never been to a match (USPSA, DPMS, IMGA, or 'outlaw' rules) where resting my rifle on my twin 30 rounders was even questioned, let alone ruled a no - no. I think using something that is integral to the function of a firearm, such as the magazine (whether a single or double), or pistol grip, or forend, would not, and cannot, be considered a "rifle supporting device". If that were the case, then resting the handguard on a window ledge could be considered a supporting device. A supporting device is meant to refer to a bipod, or one of those vertical grips attached to the handguard with legs that pop out of it, which is certainly a bipod. A rifle supporting device refers to a separate accessory that is attached to the firearm (or even intergral with the firearm like the Kel Tec 223 rifle) for the express purpose of providing a shooting support. Using the mags as a gun rest is very practical, and should be in everyone's bag of tricks. Lying prone and trying to shoot while keeping the mags lifted off of the ground is awkward, impractical, and unnecessary. Besides, how could prohibiting the use of mags as a rest be enforced? The RO would practically have to lie down on the ground next to the shooter and try to slip a piece of paper under the magazine!

I do agree, though, that using a single 45 round or so mag pretty much negates the need for two mags clamped together. BTW, twin mags do not seem to be steadier than a single mag when used as a rest, in my experience. So no, I don't see the need for clamping two 47 round mags together, but not because it violates any rules.

Also, I try to get my double mags as level as possible, cause I don't want my "supporting device" to be off-center. Never had them interfer with the dust cover (though they do come close using the CAA coupler), as long as you use the right mag first.

There! Now that I've given my opinion, all thread drift must cease! :rolleyes:

PS, I'll be ordering mine soon!

You might want to take a look at the new rules for the RM3Gun then. I had a conversation with JJ and they wrote a rule that will ban this practice. The rule they initially had bans a lot more than they intendec (at least to my mind) and I know he was planning to rework it. The plan though is to do away with the use of double mags as a rest in Tactical. Kinda bummed I was going to the RM3G this year but not if I need to retool my gear and learn to shoot prone (real prone not rested on my mags)

So what are they going to do? Require everyone to use 10 or 20 round mags so they won't touch the ground? Or make you shoot from sitting or kneeling? Some folks are going rule crazy, it would seem. I had entertained thoughts of going to RM3gun one of these years, but not if they're going to be pushing such silly, nonsensical rules.

This should be another thread, reallly. Don't want to rain on Tim's Pmag extensions. If they're as good as everything else he makes, they're fantastic!

So what are they going to do? Require everyone to use 10 or 20 round mags so they won't touch the ground? Or make you shoot from sitting or kneeling? Some folks are going rule crazy, it would seem. I had entertained thoughts of going to RM3gun one of these years, but not if they're going to be pushing such silly, nonsensical rules.

This should be another thread, reallly. Don't want to rain on Tim's Pmag extensions. If they're as good as everything else he makes, they're fantastic!

For RM3G, resting on one mag is still ok, two mags is not.

And to keep it on topic... Does the extension work on 20 rounders as well?

I don't know.....never tried it, wasn't the scope of the project. I understand that the followers are different. if someone has a 20 and a 30 rounder, give it a shot....worst thing that can happen is that it doesn't work and you have to go back to haveing a measly 47 round magazine.

Edited by TRUBL

I don't know.....never tried it, wasn't the scope of the project. I understand that the followers are different. if someone has a 20 and a 30 rounder, give it a shot....worst thing that can happen is that it doesn't work and you have to go back to haveing a measly 47 round magazine.

Havent tried the extension on a 30 yet, but I suspect (just like the DPMS 45er) that it will be a bit too tall for prone. 30s are a bit to short for me, so I was hoping that putting the extension on a 20 would give me the perfect height...