Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pmag+Nordic=45 rds

PacMan

Actually, After Talking with Jarmo, we will not be putting out the 15 round mag extension........it will be a 17 round extension, thus increasing your PMAG capacity to 47 rounds. More is better right?

Tim

Actually, After Talking with Jarmo, we will not be putting out the 15 round mag extension........it will be a 17 round extension, thus increasing your PMAG capacity to 47 rounds. More is better right?

Tim

I like your thinking Tim!

Yeah, I just noticed those when I was getting some Nordic parts from shooters connection. Hopefully they will be in soon. Chuck said he would just send it all out once the PMAG ext's came in so I figure it won't be more that a week or so. Hopefully I'll have it prior to A 6 3-gun. With Nordic sponsoring the A 6 3-gun, I imagine they will have and sell all they bring with them. Just what everybody needs, quality parts from quality manufactureres. No more sheet metal no name floorplate, follower breaking unreliable 40 rounders!!!!

I've been playing around with one of these for a few days. A nicely made product which is no surprise from Nordic. The mag will hold 47 rounds with no problem, but won't work with my gun with any more than 42 rounds in it. I've got a rate reducer and a different recoil spring in my gun so I suspect that is likely the reason.

Chris, Yes you hit on something there.....for the most part, the 47 round mag will work in most AR's out there. I've gotten a couple of calls from people who have lightened bolts, light power recoil springs and adjustable gas systems. They've said the same thing.....can load 47 (or more), but runs great with 41 to 42 rounds.

These are the 3 things along with the spring pressure of the mag spring that will affect how any semi-auto will work. Oh yeah, did I mention dirt too? I personally own a CTR-02 with a JP low mass SS carrier and op system. Now, with my particular rifle, I've had no problem but I did in testing, cut one coil off the magazine spring....more or less to see how it affected things. back when I adjusted my gas system, I got to the point where it would lock the bolt back on an empty magazine, then gave it another 1/2 turn out.

I've had people use a a 40 round ISMI spring as well with mixed results.....the spring that comes with the extension has 2 more coils than the 40 round springs I believe.

I'm not going to come right out and say cut coils off the magazine spring, but there are a number of things you can try. Personally, I'm a reliability nut....which is maybe why when I tuned my gas system, I may have went a little beyond what most would do. I hate living on the edge at times. I do remember at one point having problems with my 30 round magazines and now only load them to 28 - 29 rounds for reliability issues. Even with the 47 rounds availible in my PMAG, I suspect I will only load to 45 rounds in a match.

And you know the old disclaimer....."your mileage may vary"

Tim

Edited by TRUBL

Not on this particular unit but I had problem with a Sterling 40 rds, my CTR-02 would not function reliably at 39 rds. without running the gas system wide open so I would venture to guess same will happen if I load this new mag to capacity. Hopefully I will get time to run out to the range for some testing.

I clamped two together (side by side) yesterday...90 rounds and it makes a great monopod for shooting over tall grass (note to self: time to mow...)

Alex

Edited by Wakal

You trying to monopod while standing?

How you going to spring it? Seems like a Beta C would be easier and handle better....

Tell ya what Ken......when we first did this idea, it was to put 2 PMAGS...end to end, remove one locking plate, modify the other so you'd have a 60 round magazine....using the stock springs with the locking plate in between......turns out that it didn't really work all that well, but I did manage to get 50 on one side work....then you flip it around and have 10 rounds left on the other side.

We've even got instructions written up on how to do it......but, we'll probably just put them on the website (when it finally gets up and running....we are SOOOOOO close it hurts).

I even coupled 2 - 47 rounders side by side to give a 'poor' mans' beta.....no way would I use THAT in a match.

And lastly, Chris.....I did put two 47 rounders end to end (3 couplers) and got 80 rounds to feed once......but it was such a pain to put them in I didn't do it again.....and the mag was just too darn long, did I mention heavy too? However, I may end up putting a picture of it up someday. I would have worked good as a mono pod for kneeling!!! Trust me....it's not match worthy.

Tim