Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

man vs man / sight focus?

kimberacp

I shot a Man vs Man event yesterday on a falling plate rack. I didnt get drop out until my third time up. But I KNEW, I was just watching the plates and not the front sight! :angry2: I knew it and I even told myself as I was waiting for my next turn up and told a friend of mine too.

Sure enough when my turn came up and started to shoot, I caught myself staring at the bullets hits on the plate.

I deserved to get beat!

As I drove home I couldn't help but wonder as to why...why is it so diffucult to bring your focus every time back to the front sight when shooting the shot?

We get lazy and stare downrange.

Seems like a curse for me, not overcoming but trusting yourself to just look at the front sight.

thanks

I've missed an entire full-sized popper

at 10 - 12 yards using the same technique =

But, imagine if that "man on man" was

shooting back at You, rather that at another

plate:((( Betcha it would be Real Easy to

miss an entire person at 7 yards if he was

shooting at you.

Somebody (Clint Smith?) said that if you're

real close, don't think that you can't miss,

but think that you Better Not miss.

I think it's because the shooter hasn't yet figured out exactly what is important. I've had enough experiences where I didn't watch the front sight and shot poorly, then switched to watching the front sight on the very next stage and burned it down, that eventually the ol' 40-watter popped even for me. Actually, things go SO much better when I watch the front sight, I've come to view watching the front sight as almost like this way of cheating and making my shooting ever-so-much easier. Hey, I'll take it. :devil:

• 2 weeks later...
Plates are especially bad. Shoot a few in a row and your attention can quickly wander away from what's important.

Yes.... this happened to me the last day I was in class with DirtyPool40... man vs. man on plate racks. I KNOW I was better than my competition and torqued out in the 2nd round after a win in the first go round. It didn't help that my pistol was crapping out forcing a reload after the 4th plate :sick:

• 4 months later...
I shot a Man vs Man event yesterday on a falling plate rack. I didnt get drop out until my third time up. But I KNEW, I was just watching the plates and not the front sight! :angry2: I knew it and I even told myself as I was waiting for my next turn up and told a friend of mine too.

Sure enough when my turn came up and started to shoot, I caught myself staring at the bullets hits on the plate.

I deserved to get beat!

As I drove home I couldn't help but wonder as to why...why is it so diffucult to bring your focus every time back to the front sight when shooting the shot?

We get lazy and stare downrange.

Seems like a curse for me, not overcoming but trusting yourself to just look at the front sight.

thanks

I can really relate to that. For all the years I shot iron sights, the one thing I always had to do for every string of fire was to tell myself to look right at the front sight for every shot, if I wanted to consistently shoot to my potential.

I wonder if it's one of those things that fits into my "when is it best (to do what comes natural) and when is it not" category. When faced with a challenge, many of our natural responses are not the responses that do the job the best.

be

Plates are especially bad. Shoot a few in a row and your attention can quickly wander away from what's important.

I heard that!

Had this very problem this weekend. When your mind starts to wander it is hard to get it back.

BK

Edited by bkeeler

Last year I was shooting a stage at provincials where there were two strings of plates which a person had to shoot with a paper target on each side to make it 10 & 10. For once I remembered to watch the front sight and just kept putting it the next plate. It was amazing they all fell and I thought I was going really slow. It ends up I was shooting really quite fast and very very smooth. When I was done everyone in the squad clapped and cheered - it was kind of embarrassing but a real good memory.

Nice to think about the real good stages once in awhile; goodness knows we beat ourselves up enough about the bad ones. [Now If I could Just Do That Consistently].

Edited by Fergus

• 11 months later...

I used to look for 2 bullet holes on static targets instead of looking at the front sight :D It took awhile for me to start paying attention to my front sight. However, sometimes I still drift from front sight focus to target focus. How do we train our brain to be exclusively front sight focused? Any advice? :D

I used to look for 2 bullet holes on static targets instead of looking at the front sight :D It took awhile for me to start paying attention to my front sight. However, sometimes I still drift from front sight focus to target focus. How do we train our brain to be exclusively front sight focused? Any advice? :D

Check my post above... in 20 years of competitive shootiing, I always had to fight the natural tendency to look at the targets. So it may be on of those things you always have to do.

be

I used to look for 2 bullet holes on static targets instead of looking at the front sight biggrin.gif It took awhile for me to start paying attention to my front sight. However, sometimes I still drift from front sight focus to target focus. How do we train our brain to be exclusively front sight focused? Any advice? biggrin.gif

Check my post above... in 20 years of competitive shootiing, I always had to fight the natural tendency to look at the targets. So it may be on of those things you always have to do.

be

I'm in the same boat- a simple concept that a 5 year old can understand- yet it's so hard to make sure I do this well enough to call a good shot. Why oh why!!!!!!

I used to shoot archery at a place with indoor lanes. One of the things I had to constantly fight to maintain was follow through. There is a tendency to move your bow arm down and to the left to get it out of the way so you can see where the arrow hit. Problem is, that movement is often telegraphed enough that it starts to happen before the arrow has cleared the bow.

The same thing happens to me shooting steel. Rather than focusing on shooting, I waste time looking to see if the plate (popper) has fallen. I know what I should do - assume the hit and move the gun onto the next target. Then go back and pickup any missed targets. I know that when I do that, I shoot better. I know it all but I still find myself looking. <sigh>

To be really good at plate racks a shooter has to learn and use the concept of "fire and forget". As soon as the shot breaks on one plate and the sights lift, that plate has to be forgotten momentarily. All mental focus must shift to the next plate in the rack. I teach new shooters to fire one shot at each plate and then come back for any missed plates. As the shooters get better they can start the trick of returning to a missed plate after their next following shot and then continue with the rest of the rack. I practice fire and forget by locking the plates in the up position and just shooting 6 for 6 on non-falling plates.

This concept of fire and forget works with target focus as well as front sight focus.

I have found that in shooting plate racks, a slow falling plate due to and edge hit is worse that a clean miss. On the slow faller the mind recognises what it believes to be a miss and has formulated a plan to return to that plate. Once that plan is formulated and then the plate falls the mind cannot quickly change gears back to the original plan. You find yourself in no man's land. :blink:

Dwight

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the silly question, but what is Man vs. Man? Kind of a double-elimination non-timed, more who wins the race thing?

Heads up one on one. First one to knock them all down wins type thing?

Sorry, I've never done or seen this so I'm curious.

Often it will be two shooters on the line, each facing down range with their own set of targets (similar/identical for each shooter).

Each shooter might have to shoot down a rack of steel plates or poppers, and then engage and knock down their stop plate before their opponent.

The stop plates are often poppers set next to each other...such that, when they fall, they overlap. The one on the bottom being the winner.

He is one version (with more than two shooters)

I just shot Man-on-Man Saturday and made it to the Semi Finals. As noted above shooting the plate rack requires that you call your shot as you move down the rack not waiting to hear or see the hit then a quick glance to the rack as you transition to the stop popper to check for any standing plates. The Man-on-Man part for me is to block it all out of the mind, it is you the gun the plates and that is your world. Focus has to be on hits, in my case the Dot and not the front sight. Any concious thought about your opponent or how he/she is doing will certainly result in lost time, just shoot your plates and stopper.

I have the problem of trying to keep it all together in my head of shoot target x, y, z, and reload now that I find myself wanting to be sure that I hit the target. It can be hard to shoot and move on sometimes.

Good tips in this thread. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed the same problem a week ago.

When shooting a rack of plates, after the first two shots, there's just so much going on downrange, that my attention get drawn from the sight to the plates.

For me, the first shot is easy. Good sight picture, good trigger pull and I index to the second plate. Second plate, less sight focus, because in the back of my mind, I know there should be a plate falling downrange. I pull the trigger anyway, because the sight picture is "good enough". This shot is kind of a hoper and I know it. So when indexing to the third plate, I am still confirming the first plate falling, looking for the second one falling and fire the third shot, because I can feel the gun should be on the target, "because it recoiled the same way as the first shot". From this point I'm not visually confirming anything, but throwing hopers by feel and wondering "how it got this far" :P

The second run I tell myself to keep my eyes glued to the front sight and all is well again.

It can be so simple :)

When your mind starts to wander it is hard to get it back.
-bkeeler

Great line!

No kidding.

That's why it's SO important, at the buzzer, to maintain a calm, focused mindset before you fire the first shot. Then summon that same mindset each time you enter a new shooting position.

be