Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Attitude

tightloop

I don't want to say I hate it, but an over abundance of one's personal attitude can be tiresome, irritating, and a pain in the butt.

I have said on this forum B4 that it is good to have strong opinions, and I mean it sincerely. However, just telling someone to "stick it" or "deal with it" because you think it, does not make it right. The annonymous nature of the internet gives some people what they think is their innate right to slam someone they know nothing or very little about, due to the fact that they are not having the same discussion face to face. I do hate that aspect of this technology.

Understanding and compassion for your fellow person is something that is acquired with maturity and age, in most cases. However, some people never grasp the knack, no matter their age. Personal attacks no matter what individual ideology differences there are, should not be tolerated using this media or any other. If you wouldn't say it to their face, and are not willing to suffer the consequences if there are any, then don't say it.

Unless one has personal knowledge of, and have the blessings of the "owner" of topic being discussed, to offer up a comment as rude as "deal with it", is not only insensitive, offensive, and out of place; it mandates any apology and or a retraction, IMO.

Since having said something like that implies that the person is probably deaf as well, this tirade probably will not elicite the resonse I hope for, but I feel better, after having stated my position.

TL, I agree. I've found that the anonymous nature of Forumboards like these reveal in a way the true nature of people. Some people can be downright rude or agressive on the internet, because they "can get away with it". Nobody is going to find out who they are, so they don't see it as "neccesary" to be polite. I think that is a shame. I must add that I am glad that Brian's Forum has seen very few of these incidents.

If you wouldn't say it to their face, and are not willing to suffer the consequences if there are any, then don't say it.

I think that there are too many people on the net that don't get this. They see the net as a place where they can just do as they please. Like I said...unfortunately that reveals the way they truly are.

I vote that we all use our real names... :D Problem solved ;) I have been to several other Forums and this one by far has the best group of people. I do agree with you TG some of us get a little rough around the edges at times and need to realize that this forum is all about fun and education.

Jim

Even if everyone's name and address were known, would it be an option to travel across the country, or even to another country, to confront someone who has been a curmudgeon on a voluntary forum?

I've seen very few ugly incidents on this forum and most of them were eventually worked out by the parties concerned. While I agree with TL's basic complaint, the reality is that rudeness and lack of empathy for others has become a part of modern life.

I guess all we can do offer a good example.

This particular bulletin board forum is exceptionally civil (and intelligent) and I continue to recommend it to friends/fellow shooters who 1.) would like to be here, and 2.) complain a little of the IN-civility of other forums. TL, was there an incident in particular that prompted your posting on this thread...? (It wasn't clear to me what motivated the piece you wrote.) When weirdness occurs on this forum our sleepless admin pitbulls usually see it, react accordingly and something gets done or decided in short order. IN-civility is short-lived here, thankfully. :ph34r:

Maybe that instead of showing their “true colors” in a forum, that type of person is projecting what they think is of as strength. A guess is, that most are timid souls that can’t discern the subtle differences between a strongly worded statement or position and just plain rudeness. Tired of everyone picking on them “for no reason”, their boss, their wife, the guy in the other lane, they then come to a place where with a few key strokes they can stand as tall as everyone else seems to.

TL, I get REALLY tired of “attitude”. With some guys, they feel it to be essential (see above) and with gals I think someone has told them that it’s cute… it’s not. It’s seldom necessary to be impolite; it’s NEVER necessary to be rude!

Just rambling…

Ed

Ed,

There is much truth in what you say, as can be attested to by most people who have to work with "the public" as part of their job, and this can tend to become contagious.

"Hello Miss, I see that you're not fat and you don't have an attitude so you can't be looking for me." Al Bundy - Shoe salesman.

I can relate.... <_<

In response to one of my first posts on this board, I got a PM from "someone" telling me "nobody cared about my socio-economic status", and "if you don't like driving 3 hours to buy a bullet, you should just move", along with some other choice rhetoric. Your attitude showed on that day, David!

"Understanding and compassion for your fellow person is something that is acquired with maturity and age, in most cases."
Glad to hear it is coming together for you! :P

Hi,

I agree that some forums are frequented by people that are just so rude that it's unbelievable.

I'm a moderator on some other forum myself, and early this year we had some nasty issues. Things have settled now, but I know that some people have just gone away because of the atmosphere. And mind you, everyone on that forum is using his/her real name. Apparently the use of real names doesn't help in that respect.

Some things that I always consider and give to others to consider are:

- Electronic communication is easily misunderstood,

- Be nice and helpful, treat people just like you are face-to-face with them, and in public, and like you would like to be treated yourself

- If you don't have something nice or constructive to say, say nothing

Remember that what you post stays around for a looooong time. When I do a search on Google on my own name, the first 30-or-so hits are related to me, and date back to 1996 or so ! (That's what you get when you're pretty active on the internet and have a not-so-common name ;) )

I have frequented (and still do) many forums and newsgroups, but as SIG Lady stated, this is the nicest place to be.

treat people just like you are face-to-face with them, and in public, and like you would like to be treated yourself

As I said in a previous thread, regarding politeness:

"Do onto others the same way you'd like others do onto you".

It has always been a cardinal rule in my life.

Regarding people in this forum (the one and only forum I'm actually in): I am truly impressed by how polite, helpful and open-minded they are (Duane, I still keep the PM you sent me about this topic ;) ).

I mean, I can get opinions the most far and distant from mines in such a gentle way that I seriously doubt of my own ideas (BTW, this is the real spirit of dicussion).

Before reading this post I was thinking to post a thread about taking example from these forums and bringing it to everyone's daily life.

In these forums, probably due to the experience of the old-time subscribers and the active work of the (sleepless ;) ) moderators, each newcomer feels compelled to behave in a polite way: they simply hold older members as an example.

Well, I do think (and act accordingly) that if we could set us as an example for people in everyday life, probaly we could get a better country, or at least have those less-than-kind ones leave for more suitable places.

TL, I missed what caused your starting of this thread, and I can share your feelings about being slammed by someone they know nothing or very little about, but I think this attitude is not going to change if we were forced to use our real names (BTW, mine is available by looking at my profile, the nickname is just something I like, sort of a second name); think about it: do you get rude behaviour directed at you only on the internet, or (more probably) do you get it every day by people you meet on the street?

I think it's a sort of mindset, rudeness comes out of personality, and does not necessarily need a mask to show up.

Since today's been an especially irritating day, I was cruising the Hate forum looking for trouble. <_< So I clicked into this thread, but by the time I read through it I was feeling good again.

So now that I'm feeling all happy again, I'd like to THANK ALL THOSE WHO HAVE MADE THIS BOARD THE COOLEST PLACE TO HANG OUT (ON THE INTERNET). (Casey Moores being the coolest non-internet place.)

;)

I have to admit that this place is very cool. Thanks to Mr. Enos and everyone else who contributes to the overall coolosity!

I'm glad my local buddies suggested I come here a few months ago!

I was thinking about this topic a little the past few days and it's interesting how emotional we get when our ideas are challenged, or...when we perceive our ideas to be challenged.

Is it because we barely believe ourselves? Are our ideas so fragile that can't survive a little discussion?

I'm here to learn...

SA

ego involvment. We get upset because casting doubt on our ideas or criticizing our ideas is seen as a PERSONAL criticism. Once we seperate our idea/behavior from us as the individual. then the comments mean nothing.

Words are like alcohol, they can only harm you if you accept them.

I hate when the hate forum becomes a love fest...

If you Nancy-boys start hugging...I'm gonna cry.

:o

OPPS!

My mistake...I thought this was the Friday Flame War thread. My post was in the spirt of the FFW and good natured joking with your buddies.

Sorry about the hugs and Nancy-boy comments.