Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Saw A Cool Trick Saturday

JimmyZip

At our local stock gun match Saturday, i saw a shooter do something I've never seen before. The stage started with gun unloaded on table, and all mags on table. Three arrays of three targets, reload mandatory between arrays.

This shooter laid his pistol grip facing right, with his first mag four inches (about) to the right of pistol, in line with magwell. On signal, he just slid QUICKLY his mag into the gun as it was layng on its side, lifted the gun, racked the slide and started shooting. This was WAY faster than anythind else I've seen, It was cool to watch too!

Anyone else do this also?

JZ

Thanks Flex for moving this :)

Edited by JimmyZip

Wouldn't that have to be four inches to the left for a right

handed shooter - grab the gun in the right hand, and at

the same time push the mag in before lifting the gun?

Or, do you mean he pushed the mag in with his right

hand (holding the gun steady with his left hand), and

then picked up the gun?

Jack

Bingo Jack! He slid the mag with his right hand into the pistol and smoothly ( and quickly!) picked up the pistol and racked the slide. His left hand was palm open on its side steadying the pistol or providing resistance to allow the mag to seat. I asked him about it after and he said that way his left hand is already there to rack the slide as he lifts the pistol with his right hand. Hose away!

Sure was cool to watch.

Helps to have a mag well. On a table surface where this works well, it is consistently a tenth faster for me - sometimes a little more.

Oh... and no reason to have the mag 4 inches away (unless it has to be on some specific point on the table). Slide the mag in and then back out until its just not touching the gun.... Good to go... and lined up correctly on the grip, too....

Edited by XRe

Seen it, but to me it's unreliable and slower. Basic rule of thumb - get your grip as soon as possible.

"to" you, or "for" you??? I did the tests... on several occasions.... for me, its always a tenth faster, sometimes more ;)

really hard to do on a production gun..tried it for fun last summer while practicing..just couldn't hit reliably enough.

+1

I've done it with a Glock and it works well on a carpeted surface. You have to press the gun down with the left hand to make the magwell (mag opening?) even with the mag and slide the mag in with the right hand. I then rolled the gun up on the mag with my right hand to insure it was seated.

It works, its fast, I don't think I would do it on a hard surface in competition.

Done it, first time ate shit in a fumble. then I practiced it a little and now it's

pretty slick. Whenever you do it you get the what the hell was that supposed to be,

afterwards !! :P

The key it to slide the mag in like you mean it !!

• 3 weeks later...
This is actually UBERGAMING.... Highly refined german engineered gaming!

I can just see myself knocking mag off the table, and spining the pistol around pointing at the RO's belt buckle...

:ph34r:

I've done it twice in a match. Screwed it up royally the first time (had never practiced it).

The second time was in an IDPA match about 3 days after I'd practiced it a half-dozen times, with quite a few 'tactical training' types watching. And it worked perfectly. THAT was fun.

If you're not getting called a gamer, you're shooting IDPA all wrong, right? :D

IMO, it works pretty well on a hard surface with a Glock. The key is to mash the gun into the table with the heel of your strong palm, near the base of the grip. This keeps the gun still. And keep the mag toward the back of the magwell - every time Ive screwed it up, the mag hits the FRONT of the magwell.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I watched Jeff DeGracia do it on Stage 3 of LPR Nationals a few weeks ago. Caught a few of the guys on the Super Squad by surprise.

I decided specifically to not do it on that stage, because you were starting seated and well below the gun and mag. Trying to execute this load when you're in an awkward position basically negates the advantage - so you might as well opt for the less risky move... That table surface was fairly reasonable, but was starting to warp up a bit when we got there for OL10, so it maybe wasn't optimal....

That table surface was fairly reasonable, but was starting to warp up a bit when we got there for OL10, so it maybe wasn't optimal....

After Jeff shot the stage and some of his squad members asked him what he had done. He explained that because the table was bowed upward that it was perfect for Production guns. You could aim the magazine more directly down the centerline of the frame.

I wasn't that bold. :surprise:

mattk

Seen it, but to me it's unreliable and slower. Basic rule of thumb - get your grip as soon as possible.

"to" you, or "for" you??? I did the tests... on several occasions.... for me, its always a tenth faster, sometimes more ;)

I've tested it as well and it's also a tenth faster for me, but less reliable...