Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G17 Mags

MPK

At a match on the weekend a shooter did a reload and base of the mag popped off, spilling 9 mil rds all over. Use to see this happen from time to time a few yrs back, but this is the first time in a while.

I just got new mag springs and followers for my G17 10 rd mags. I am a little reluctant to remove the base plate now.

Should I do it?

Mike

Are they working today? If so leave well enough alone.

If you think the current springs feel too weak go and replace them.

When you do, squeeze the mag walls just enough to get the basepads off. You may need to use a small clamp or some other tool to get this done. Just don't get carried away as you squeeze the mags.

Assuming that you live in US, Glock mags are inexpensive enough that if you have some that are showing excessive wear, you can buy replacements for competition and use the older-worn and tired- ones for practice.

I'm inclined to believe that the guy disassembled and reassembled his mags way to frequently. That will ruin them quick. I use the armorers tool or a small punch the "dislodge" the mag insert through the floor plate hole. Set the tool aside. Grab the mag and push down on the rear of just the floor plate against a square edge counter top to get it sliding off. Use both thumbs to finish. Watch out for flying parts. I haven't had any spontaneous disassembly's so, FWIW :)

Jim

I'm inclined to believe that the guy disassembled and reassembled his mags way to frequently. That will ruin them quick. I use the armorers tool or a small punch the "dislodge" the mag insert through the floor plate hole. Set the tool aside. Grab the mag and push down on the rear of just the floor plate against a square edge counter top to get it sliding off. Use both thumbs to finish. Watch out for flying parts. I haven't had any spontaneous disassembly's so, FWIW :)

Jim

I'm with Jim...I've NEVER had a problem with the bases popping off of ANY Glock mags, either OEM or even with extended baseplates as long as they were disassembled and reassembled properly, no matter how often they were taken apart.

Curtis

If you are putting the base back on correctly, there is NO FREAKIN WAY that it should fly off! I have NEVER had that happen to me. (though there was this one goofball that was know for it, and every time was her fault)

OK, there has to be more to this story. Either the base pads were some crappy aftermarket or the basepad was reassembled incorrectly or something... I buy 10 new mags every year, and the first thing I do is disassemble and cut those PITA side tabs off. I reassemble and shoot the crap out of them. I clean them when they appear they need it (probably once or twice a year). I have NEVER had the base plate come off for any reason other than disassembly by me. Kicked them, stepped on them, bounced them off of props... GTG.

Micah that was with Schear basepads ...... but I dont think it helped that the goof-ball would shoot right-hand dominant one week, and left hand-dominant the next.

:huh:

Thaaaaaaaatttttssssssssss right! They would explode like a grenade!

Below is a link to a video showing the proper removal of a Glock base plate:

VIDEO LINK

OK, there has to be more to this story. Either the base pads were some crappy aftermarket or the basepad was reassembled incorrectly or something... I buy 10 new mags every year, and the first thing I do is disassemble and cut those PITA side tabs off. I reassemble and shoot the crap out of them. I clean them when they appear they need it (probably once or twice a year). I have NEVER had the base plate come off for any reason other than disassembly by me. Kicked them, stepped on them, bounced them off of props... GTG.

Could cutting of the side tabs make it more likely for the base pad to pop off?

Could cutting of the side tabs make it more likely for the base pad to pop off?

I'm sure someone will say so, but in 3 years of shooting USPSA every weekend possible I have yet to have one pop off.

Gonna have to sooner or later.

Why? I just replace 'em when they wear out.....

Do you replace them if you drop them in the mud?

If so I wanna shoot with you.

Nah, I shake most of the mud off, fill 'em back up and put 'em back in my mag pouches. Then on the next stage I stuff 'em back in the gun and they do the expected thing when I pull the trigger --- bullets out the front, brass out the top/side, no issues.....

You know you want to shoot with me anyway.... :goof: :goof:

+1 on the cheap aftermarker plus 2 base pads. A few months ago I made a reload during the match and had the base pad fall off... result- 19 rounds onto the ground... manually pulled the mag body out of the gun.... performed another reload... result- 19 more rounds onto the ground. I thought my RO was going to drop the timer... laughter does that to you. I thought about stopping but I never quit on a match so I made one more reload with an OEM magazine and finished the course. The two bad mags had Scherer base pads which were promptly thrown into he trash. Only Glock pads for me now no matter what the cost difference.

Dwight

I have some 1st gen G17 mags that have done the "speed unload" trick on me. Of course they aren't fully steel lined. The lightweight base pads can spread out enough to pop off. Most likely, the locator button wasn't fully in place after the last tear down. I shoot in the desert and drop mags into the gravel several times per week. I typically only mess with tearing them down for cleaning if the follower isn't moving easily or if it sounds like a maraca. :goof:

Dam, got me... :roflol::cheers:

Micah that was with Schear basepads ...... but I dont think it helped that the goof-ball would shoot right-hand dominant one week, and left hand-dominant the next.

:huh:

Thaaaaaaaatttttssssssssss right! They would explode like a grenade!

Below is a link to a video showing the proper removal of a Glock base plate:

VIDEO LINK

I just went to OMB over lunch (they are local) to get some G17 mags. They say the 17.95 price will be going very soon. I'd jump on this guys if you can.

New G17 mags are only $17.95 at OMB Express and the 5 I got were made with a release slot in the front ala SF style as well as the standard release.