Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you guys keep your glasses clean?

lugnut

Any tricks to help me on this? I sweat quite a bit and between the heat and humidity lately I find myself wiping my brows every minute or so to keep water from dripping into my glasses! Moving indoors after being in the heat is just as bad... the fog is brutal. My glasses don't even make contact above my eyes either.

Thanks in advance!

Every few matches I clean them well with dish soap, the cleaner they are the less prone to fogging. I always wear a ball cap when shooting and it does a pretty good job absorbing sweat except for when we get above 90. Then I just keep a towel to wipe my face and forehead down between stages.

I always wear a ball cap. I usually clean them with dish soap... but either way I didn't know that helped with fogging. We've just had some nasty muggy days and I can seem to keep them clear.

Hat, even in hot weather. The band keeps out the sweat, the brim keeps out the brass, and the whole thing keeps off the sun.

+1. I sweat a lot, but the hat keeps most of the sweat off my face.

I also have a towel that I use to wipe the sweat off my face before it's my turn to shoot.

I sweat a lot too, so I just learned to "not see" or get distracted by dirty glasses. By the end of a match on a hot day they are really bad, but I don't notice until the match is over...

Hat, even in hot weather. The band keeps out the sweat, the brim keeps out the brass, and the whole thing keeps off the sun.

+1. I sweat a lot, but the hat keeps most of the sweat off my face.

I also have a towel that I use to wipe the sweat off my face before it's my turn to shoot.

The dish soap works well. You can also get some anti-fogging products at a scuba diving shop that are used to keep your mask free from fog during a dive. I would recommend the "natural" cure for it, but it doesn't work well if you don't keep the glasses wet. ;)

Liota

A hat is mandatory to pick up the heavy stuff running down, and I always have a towel to dry up a tad before I step up to the line. I also have cleaning/anti-fogging wipes in individual packets in my range bag to use when needed. When it's in the mid 90's and 90%+ humidity, it's tough on the gear as well as the body.

One of the biggest things I have discovered after cleaning and defogging with some commercial product, is to leave the glasses on.

Everytime you take them off and let them cool off and then put them back on, they are going to condense the humid air around your eyes. If you leave them on they will eventually get about the same temperature as the area around your eyes and the condensation (fogging) will lessen considerably.

Of course you will still have to wipe the sweat from your eyes but getting the glasses back on as soon as possible will limit the fogging.

Works for me,

dj

I just wash the glasses with soap and water and pat dry, then wipe down with lens wipes from the drug store.

A fellow I know who dives says he treats his mask with RainX. I think he must mean the outside, however because as soon as water starts sloshing around in his mask that stuff is going to go into his eyes.

Edited by Graham Smith

My ESS pair came with an antifog wipe that seems to work for the fog. I have the Rx insert and they're pretty close to my eyes but the actual safety glass part is much further from my eyes - not sure if the distance from the face matters.

+1 on keeping the glasses from getting cool

+1 on the hat

All the things mention help, a good hat, scubba mask no fog works good.

However the best thing is no fogging, So a real pair of Aviator style of glasses where the top bar keeps the lenses from getting too close to your head cures the problem. www.sportglasses.com.

There changeable lenses frames with adjustable nose piece is the best. I've spent hundreds of dollars all sorts of eye wear and the Decot HyWide is the best. They just don't ever fog, and I mean florida inland where everybody is drenched in sweat from shoulders to ass.

• 1 month later...
I've seen highpower shooters use antiperspirant on their forehead to reduce the sweat pouring into their glasses. Tight fitting glasses tend to fog more too.

I smear a healthy dose of "clinical strength" deodorant covering all of my forehead, the bridge of my nose. Several of my shooting buddies made the comment that it "smells nice". After a half hour or so of sweating, they asked if they could borrow some. I guess the "nice smell" didn't bother them so much when they saw how well it worked for me.

Bill :D

The folks at Unique Tek support our sport and they carry this anti-fog product that is really superior.

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1246

They are often at major events and have products for sale and usually a bucket of samples of this particular product. Don't know if they will be at the Nats in Tulsa but check the vendor tent. Great folks all around.

David C