Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Found a snake in my range bag today

gb32

From the beginning, I've been doing some rifle work to prepare for a big 3 match at the end of the month. I shot last Monday at my local club. Haven't opened this paticular bag since leaving that day. It's a Blackhawk medical bag that just happens to be the perfect size to hold a pile of AR mags. Met my buddy Nick at the range today for some more practice. We get our stuff unloaded and I open the bag to start loading mags. When I do I am staring straight at a snake who seems slightly perturbed. I jump back "Dude, there's a snake in my bag!" He doesnt believe me so he looks for himself and is convinced. We get some gloves and ease him out of there. He slithers away and all is well. He had been locked up in that bag for a week only to return from whence he came. Anybody else ever had something like this happen to them?

I've been known to drop a snake off in someone's lunch pail. When I was logging we had an abundance of them. I have always been known for having a habit of picking up snakes. My biggest was an 80" diamondback and I once had 7 baby diamondback in an aquarium in the living room. It was one of the big 55 gal tanks and I filled it with sand, driftwood, and a bobcat skull. The girls quit coming by the house so I had to get rid of them. I guess I was the only one that thought it was cool.

From a friend of mine named Russ.

Russ is from Texas and a NOLOAD USMC rifle team member and curently a US Army sniper back from a deployment (2nd or 3rd) to the "land of very bad things."

Russ was giving a talk to a room full of military and L.E. snipers on an incident he was involved in prior to going back to full time military duty and he started talking about snakes..

Here is Russ on the subject of snakes:

" I don't like snakes.

Especially when you stalk up on one and then every snake is a rattler or a cobra.

Some silly wise ass SOB then will usually try to convince you it was just a little garter snake.

Dumbass.

I tried to get my revenge on them once.

I was driving down the road in Texas and it had gotten cold.

The snakes come out near the road to warm up but it was so cold they were just stiff like sticks.

I figured : "Heres my chance."

So I unzip and let go on this one rattler for all the scares they put into me over the years.

A small scientific fact I could have used at that point was the knowledge that urine is coming from within the body where it is stored at the internal temperature of around 98.6 degrees.

That snake warmed right up and he was NOT happy.

They say you can't run and piss at the same time.....?

Not true.

You can run and piss and scream in a voice you didn't even know you had."

Russ is one funny dude.

JK

<_< I really dislike ..pet snakes. the kind a good looking girl wants you to hold and she drapes it on her body like it is sexy or something. :huh:

It is socially unacceptable to kill a pet even a pet snake.

At least the same girl will never have a Cat :mellow:

Funny how the mind works... that was 1982

My mother had a four foot Rainbow Boa Constrictor she would take out and play with. She would let the snake wrap all around her arms and neck....She said the snake would "hug" her. I told her he was just seeing if she was small enough to eat or not :surprise:

When she moved in with us, I told her she was welcome, but the snake wasn't.

I don't like snakes.

dj

Was thinking of this thread last week. I found one in my reloading area that crawled out and died.

I was in and out of the area most of the day and he must have gotten lost in my basement.

Not that I wish harm to the nice creatures but those things creep me out so I was glad that the one in my house was dead. Much easier to deal with....

• 8 months later...
From a friend of mine named Russ.

Russ is from Texas and a NOLOAD USMC rifle team member and curently a US Army sniper back from a deployment (2nd or 3rd) to the "land of very bad things."

Russ was giving a talk to a room full of military and L.E. snipers on an incident he was involved in prior to going back to full time military duty and he started talking about snakes..

Here is Russ on the subject of snakes:

" I don't like snakes.

Especially when you stalk up on one and then every snake is a rattler or a cobra.

Some silly wise ass SOB then will usually try to convince you it was just a little garter snake.

Dumbass.

I tried to get my revenge on them once.

I was driving down the road in Texas and it had gotten cold.

The snakes come out near the road to warm up but it was so cold they were just stiff like sticks.

I figured : "Heres my chance."

So I unzip and let go on this one rattler for all the scares they put into me over the years.

A small scientific fact I could have used at that point was the knowledge that urine is coming from within the body where it is stored at the internal temperature of around 98.6 degrees.

That snake warmed right up and he was NOT happy.

They say you can't run and piss at the same time.....?

Not true.

You can run and piss and scream in a voice you didn't even know you had."

Russ is one funny dude.

JK

:roflol::roflol::roflol: That is fantastic!

I shoot out at Rio in AZ and I found a giant wolf spider/tarantula looking thing in my range bag once. Scared the sh*t outta me since I had my hand in the bag. You do not expect living things in your range bag.

Not snake related but.....

When I was in Boy Scouts a lot of years ago, we camped out near a creek. It was nice to hear the frogs sounding off in the early evening. I had sneeked away from the main camp to explore. I saw millions of little one inch long frogs and just had to have me some of those to take home the next day. I went back to camp and got a large zip lock bag and returned to froggie heaven.

After about an hour, I had the bag stuffed full. I put the bag inside my travel bag and got ready to go home. My MOM picked us up and we stowed our gear in the 1968 Chevy station wagon. I put the frogs in the far back under some type of panel that held the spare tire and fell asleep on the way home.

When we arrived home, it was a mad dash to unpack most of our items and then go out and play basketball. After about 3 days, my MOM stated that maybe we forgot some underwear or socks in the wagon, because it was really starting to stink to high heaven. She made me go and hunt for the bad smelling item.

It wasn't until I got to the back of the wagon that I remembered the large zip lock bag of now, dead smelly frogs. I felt really bad about the little frogs.

I never told my MOM what it was that was stinking.....

Jerry