Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Free magazine subscription indeed. How cheesy.

Poor idea in poor taste. What will be shilled to me next?

I guess I'm confused? We thought that providing a free subscription to any of the Peterson Group's gun mags, as a benefit of USPSA membership, was... nice?

How did it become a "poor idea in poor taste"?

:ph34r:

Moderator Mode:

I moved this over to a different forum. PLEASE pay attention to the hate forum rules. Hate against the shooting industry, IPSC/USPSA/IDPA/NRA etc is expressly forbidden.

If y'all can have a civil discussion the thread will stay alive in QTDFA but keep it constructive and civil please.

End Moderator Mode

I guess I'm confused? We thought that providing a free subscription to any of the Peterson Group's gun mags, as a benefit of USPSA membership, was... nice?

I didn't think it was in poor taste, but I didn't take advantage of it. Seemed like a nice enough offer, but I already get all the magazines I want/need. R,

Hey Bruce, how is it going? Do you remember me from Sig and Greenfield? I was the dude with the open blaster....

Anyways, I got this free subscription as well. I already subscribe to American Handgunner which is a decent magazine. I use to subscribe to Guns Magazine but it's not very good. Either way I'll send it in and get a free subscription to Guns.

For us it might not be the best thing but I bet for newer members and newer shooters this is a great promotion. I don't know but I like free things!!!

Pete

I have no issue with it. What do you all object to?

This is just a guess but I suspect the objection is to being used by USPSA and USPSA being used by the magazine publisher in a marketing scheme. The way most "free" magazine subscriptions work at best is to put one's personal info in a marketing database. More often, the "free" subscription automatically renews at regular prices unless one takes steps to stop the automatic renewal, assuming one is even aware it is going to happen.

I do not know how this particular offer is arranged. I do know I recieved a "free" issue of a magazine from an online purchase and then found out the credit card I used for that purchase had been dinged 6 months later to purchase a regular subscription. I was angry, the money was returned, the vendor apologized, all was forgiven and the lesson was learned.

YMMV

This is just a guess but I suspect the objection is to being used by USPSA and USPSA being used by the magazine publisher in a marketing scheme.

Yup. We thought through that. That's why the magazine publisher did *not* get access to our member list. They provided an insert, we (USPSA) mailed it through the same mailing service we use for Front Sight.

So... the magazine publisher "doesn't know about you" until/unless you decide to opt-in to the offer. And USPSA doesn't know whether or not you chose to take advantage of the offer (I think we'll get stats about how many opted-in, but not who they are...)

B

(dunno about the auto-renewal thing. I always pay for magazine subscriptions by check, just 'cuz... but in this case, you wouldn't have to pay *anything* until the first time you need to renew)

Thanks Bruce for clearing that up. I also had the same concerns when I recieved the mailing. Now knowing more of the details, I think it was a kind gesture on the part of USPSA.

For me, magazine subscriptions have always been a no-no. For the same reasons Dale mentioned. I would spend more and buy them off the rack. I do subscribe to 2-mags, AH and AR. And I made both promise me they would not trade, sell, give, or otherwise violate my request for privacy. They will do this if you ask them at the time of subscription. So far, so good.

My objection is that it appears to call for a premature USPSA renewal as a condition of getting the "free" magazine. My wife got one, and she does not expire until 9/9/09. So, why am I going to re-up her 16 months early? It says in the lower right hand corner to "send it in with your USPSA membership". Kinda cheesey IMO. <_< And besides...I HATE SPAM!!!

Edited by Barrettone

Mine came with a free life member patch that's going to look great on my Green Mountain bag!

I quit subscribing to AH a long time ago, but I will take a free subscription just to get even. :roflol:

It's all about marketing and I think it's a great idea.

FM

I got the offer in the mail, too. Probably won't do anything with it.

My initial reaction was one of "how much did the postage cost USPSA to mail this to the 15,000+ members?? Did it go as First Class at $.42 ea or some junk mail rate of what?

Major expense to the Corporation/members that could have gone somewhere else.

Just my $.02 worth.

I got the offer in the mail, too. Probably won't do anything with it.

My initial reaction was one of "how much did the postage cost USPSA to mail this to the 15,000+ members?? Did it go as First Class at $.42 ea or some junk mail rate of what?

Major expense to the Corporation/members that could have gone somewhere else.

Just my $.02 worth.

Eh, I took it for what it was, a free subscription. If after a year it is no longer free, I can opt to discontinue it since they never got any of my CC info. I think it was a cool thing to send out and I appreciate it.

I sent mine back in - I love Handgunner Magazine but have never subscribed for whatever reason. I did have a few questions about the way the offer was worded - it said words to the effect of "send in with your USPSA membership dues" and the address that was given was the USPSA home address. The insert card implied that the subscription was truly "free" and a benefit of current USPSA membership - it said nothing about needing to renew / update ones membership so this point was a bit confusing.

Anyway, I simply filled out the card and sent it in to the USPSA home office address (without enclosing any new dues). If USPSA thinks I owe them any money, they'll let me know and I'll make my decisions from there. I thought the offer was a nice gesture but it would have been better had the instructions from both USPSA and the publisher not conflicted.

I got the offer - it is on my desk, I may send it in. I figured the publishing industry is hurting and promoting as much as they can, because Natchez SS gave me a subscription to Guns & Ammo. While I am a Natchez customer, I do not get THAT much from them.

I have not paid for subscriptions in a while; there is just not enough content to justify the expense when I can get most questions answered here or some other forum. Ok, Frontsight is good but I get that with membership. :)

Lee

I do not know how this particular offer is arranged. I do know I recieved a "free" issue of a magazine from an online purchase and then found out the credit card I used for that purchase had been dinged 6 months later to purchase a regular subscription. I was angry, the money was returned, the vendor apologized, all was forgiven and the lesson was learned.

I made the mistake of doing this, taking the "free" magazine offer from my cc company - pick 4 magazines for free for 6 months. After the 6 month trial period, I start to see charges on my cc for various magazine subscriptions. Took me a couple of months to cancel the subscriptions and get my money refunded. I never do the "free trial" magazine offers that Best Buy and the like try to push on you.

I don't see why this is a bad thing.

If you don't care about any of the magazines, dump it.

Otherwise, free is free.

That said I dumped my for the simple reason that my membership runs for almost another year before it is time to renew.

I'm not going to do it early and will never keep up with a coupon for that long.

No one can "automatically" renew a free subscription for money if you don't give them a cc number.

Tls