Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dremel Experiments

outerlimits

ok, admit it...we all have tried to use a dremel tool to accomplish what we figured we didn't need to bother our gunsmiths with. so i thought it might be interesting to cover those stupid things we've tried so that a future member won't make the same mistake.

my act of stupidity was several years ago wanting to improve my loading area on an 1100. decided to hog out the receiver, figuring more is better. went too far into the shell tube, wiping out the little dimple that helps keep rounds in the tube. polished the sh%t out of it, took a tec loader and rammed 4 shells in. withdrew the tec loader, and out came the shells! wtf? oh well, needless to say, i needed a new receiver after that. :wacko:

This is embarrassing but when I first got my dremel I decided I needed front serrations on my .45.

Now.... I wouldn't be at all surprised to be shooting it during a course of fire and having the front of the slide crack and fall off. Although it has been working fine for the last 16 years.

I still sometimes get that dremel out but not for anything that requires precision.

G

When my dremel broke, my gunsmith bought me a new one. Said something about putting his kid through college or sumpthin... :unsure:

I got mine with the accessory pack of JB Weld. Seriously I did buy some and put it right on top of the dremel. it reminds me of all of the very expensive fubars I accomplished back when I was racing bikes and attempted to "improve" them.

Hey, where's Carmoney on this thread???

Edited by Neomet

Oh yes Sir it is.

I have dreams (sorry NIGHTMARES) about some of my customers wives buying them a Dremel for Christmas.

I, of course, just lashed out on a battery powered one for those urgent away from home "repair" jobs.

Funniest thing I saw was a computer tech with one in his tool case. :surprise: I was so tempted to ask WTF4, but I was afraid he might tell me.

It turned out he was also into Model Aircraft.

I have the reverse problem. Gunsmiths taking a dremel to a frame without permission and then asking to me to pay them for the privilege of a ruined frame.

If the frame was ruined he wasn't a gunsmith! If he ruined the frame and expected you to pay him, he had no ethics either.

The only time I've taken a Dremel to a firearm it accomplished what I wanted to do. Had a Taurus 94 and the case hardened trigger was causing blood blisters. Took the Dremel with a fine stone and made one pass to knock the sharp edges off. Couple strokes with a jewelers file to clean it up. Then used the felt polishing wheels to give the whole trigger a final finish. Two coats of clear fingernail polish to top it off. Work good, last long time.

Knowing how much helicopter stuff we've torn up using Dremels, I know better than using it on my own guns. For precision work we use jewelers files and India stones, especially on dressing out turbine engine blades. We also use KY Jelly for installing tail rotor driveshaft bearings. Use the right tool for the job.

I couldn't live (i.e. work) without my dremels. I do however, advise anyone and everyone, that a dremel is just like a hammer. It is an advanced tool.

If you could not fathom taking a hammer to your pistol, consider the same thought process to a dremel tool.

Edited by want2race

1) STI hammer tried to lightened it :goof: until i cannot use it anymore because it is too fugly

2) STI rear sight cut the right side a little bit then the left; I over cut the left side then tried to make it even on the right; then i over cut the right :lol: :lol: and so on until it does not look like a sight any more hahahaha but i still love and cannot live without my dremel

Just as a little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

So also is a little power tool a dangerous thing

Jim :D

Jim...what is knowledge, and how is it dangerous. LOL

Tightloop

Oh yes :rolleyes:

One form of it could have been gained by paying more attention to Mrs. Maclusky AKA (the toad) :unsure:

My 8th grade english teacher :closedeyes:

Unfortunately....most of my attention was spent on little miss Polly pretty pants who sat next to me....among other things :huh:

It seems my ability to wreak havoc to the correct spelling of words in the English language...is quite similar to the effect a Dremel tool can bring to an innocent gun part :roflol:

When it comes to Dremels and guns, the felt wheel is your friend B)

with a miniscule amount of polishing compound, yes.

I did manage to hose the parkerized finish on my 1911 slide when trying to smooth out the ugly rails. I also managed to slice up part of my DOH when attempting to cut through a screw that had stripped out.