Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do You Load Seperate Match and Practice Ammo

bruce282

Just wondering how many folks have different loads for matches and practice. I shoot Prod (9mm) and L-10 (.45acp) and use moly bullets so my match rounds are the same as my practice rounds.

Bruce

I use the same load for matches that I practice with but I take more pride in the match ammo. Match ammo gets case gauged, tumbled, and handed alot more. Practice ammo goes from station 4 into a plastic tub and waits to be fired.

Gary

Well I load it the same but I have "Match" and practice. The match all gets chamber checked in the dissembled barrel and labeled CC, which gun, and the date. the practice ammo gets dumped in folger coffee cans.

I try to keep all my ammo the same, but with unavailability of zero bullets, I have had to do a lot of reconfiguring over the last year. I burn up the rejected for regular use ammo up at practice sessions. I do prefer to use the same ammo all the time though.

I shoot home casted lead bullets in practice and plated bullets in matches. The lead bullets are much cheaper, so I can save some money while practicing and I don't mind the smoke from bullet lube during practice. The bullets have the same weight and I try to keep the velocities of the two loads as close as possible. All ammunition is loaded with the same amount of care.

For big matches I'll use once or twice fired brass. For normal match ammo I use cases that have been shot 3-5 times. For practice ammo I use all the other cases until they're pretty worn. The primer, powder, bullet etc don't change and I case gauge all of my ammo. For a big match I might case gauge and then go through every round to check the primer individually....that way I make doubly certain I don't have a high primer, backwards/no primer etc. I've only found one error using that system, but it was worth the extra time!

Same loads, same bullets. The main difference is that match ammo is all 9mm Winchester brass, fired once to three times. Practice ammo is mixed brass, now on it's sixth loading. Everything gets gauged; match ammo also gets checked for OAL within narrower specs.

My match ammo is the same as my practice ammo with one difference. My match ammo is case checked and inspected and boxed. I leave my practice ammo uninspected and not case checked. That way, I occasionally have to clear a jam, and I consider that part of practice. My match ammo runs flawlessly (Hope I didn't jinx myself - I'm shooting Sunday).

All my rounds are the same except for the number of times the brass or nickel plated brass have been reloaded. I try to use anything that has 8 or more loads through it for my local matches. For a major match, I normally shoot brass with 4-5 cycles. Other than that, I make no differentiation between my match and practice rounds.