Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger

Ben Stoeger

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time for an update:

Firstly, I just want to take a minute and be proud of how far I have come this year. I am so much faster and so much sharper than I was last year. The more balanced training plan I put in place worked really well for me. For the first time, I am now the guy that is often setting the fastest stage times, even with a fairly deep field of GMs competing against me.

Area 3 is a match unlike many others, with lots of opportunity to shoot while moving. I shot on the move pretty much all the time, even when the targets were 20 yards away! This led to me dropping quite a few more points than I would normally, but paid off with much better stage times.

Here is a good example of what I am talking about. I shot this stage extremely aggressively including shooting while moving whenever it made sense. I dropped a TON of points (20) but I was able to cut about 2 seconds off the rest of the field, giving me the stage win.

As much as this year’s training plan has worked for me, it is time to scrap it. I need to really focus on hardcore accurate shooting so I can finish the year out strong. The biggest matches of the year always come down to who can hit the best, and I want to be that guy.

So… from this point to the end of the shooting season I am all about making tight shots under tough circumstances.

One other note:

I have been approached to co-author an E-book on training for shooting competition.

Questions:

What do you guys think of E-books?

What would you like to see in it?

What is a reasonable price point?

I think if we do an E-book that does well I could maybe do an ACTUAL book later on.

Email me with any comments.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been extremely busy lately, both with my own training and working with other people. I can say I am having a really great summer.

I can’t believe it is this late in the year and I have only shot 3 matches…. The way the schedule shook out it crammed a bunch of stuff later on in the year. I actually have 4 section matches in the next 2 and a half weeks. That should be interesting.

Since I have been shooting too loose the last few matches, I have set myself a goal for the upcoming section matches:

I want to average 96% of the points (combining all the matches). I am posting this publicly to make sure I am actually going to be held accountable for it.

See you guys at the Minnesota Section.

Well 96% isn’t gonna happen. Yikes… Minnesota Section didn’t go so well for me.

I will keep going for 96% at the section matches I have coming up.

Ben,

Did you miss on the no-shoot swinger on Stage 2, or was it some of the SHO shooting?

From the vid, I can't figure out which was stage 1...

Ben,

Did you miss on the no-shoot swinger on Stage 2, or was it some of the SHO shooting?

I left a couple plates on a carnival style texas star. Not shown in video, as it makes my butt hurt to even think about it.

Ben,

I left a couple plates on a carnival style texas star. Not shown in video, as it makes my butt hurt to even think about it.

what is a carnival style texas star?

Ben,

what is a carnival style texas star?

It was presented so you could only see the bottom of it. In retrospect I shouldn't have shot the bottom plates as fast as I could because that caused it to get moving fast right away.

Another section match is on the books. I am getting closer to my points goal.

Actually, this weekends match (the Illinois Section) was a pretty good indicator for me that no matter how tough the stages are, a guy shooting minor could in theory get 97, 98, or even 99% of the points. I am convinced of that much. Here is the video:

As you can see, the stages are like they usually are at PASA… hard. There was a good mix of close range stuff, partial targets, and plenty of shooting on the move. There were just enough movers and options to keep things interesting.

I shot the stages aggressively, driving hard for as many points as I could get. A few times, I was getting really close to all As. I aimed for As on everything. Head shots, partials, you name it. I wanted only As.

I picked up a few Ds and a mike. One time I slipped out of position while moving and picked up a D, the rest of those issues all came from not calling my second shot on target, and pulling off before the gun fired. This was not a shooting fundamentals issue, but a rushing issue. I am going to train up this week to try to fix that.

Other than that issue, I am certain that 97% of the points is within reach. The amount of training needed to pull this off on a consistent basis makes my head hurt, but I am going to try to do it.

Also, notice I am still shooting at a pretty good clip, despite my points focus.

Ben , how will you train not to rush your shot and not to pull off target on second shot before it is finished?

By setting up a target array that tempts me to do it and then working to not do it.

Example:

25 yard target then a wide transition to a close target. I would be tempted to pull off the far target AS I fire the last shot and not AFTER I fire it. I will shoot setups like that at raped ape pace and make sure I call my second shot on the far target.

Actually, I will try to call ALL my shots. That seems to be the key to this whole thing.

Edited by Ben Stoeger

Ben I've had some experience with what you are asking in the IT field. I was working with Cisco press and one of their top selling authors. They were discussing options for a book at the time and I was teaching beginning to middle range of Internetworking at college and certification level. They wanted to create a book for the high end users, but I pointed out to them that there is a larger population at the bottom and middle meaning more sells and more people helped. The same is true with USPSA "C" and "B" shooter they dominate the numbers so sells wise and to help the most shooters you can focus on that group, weakness you see that can be corrected and improved on. Your specialty seems to be accuracy standing or while moving and distance. I'm really new to the field but I know from teaching an applied topic that translates into performance, make it simple and keep the practice practical. I would combine with a company to get an app that is "easy" to use to log your practice sessions and have within the app the ability to design your practice stage or load all the practice stage in the app that you suggest to practice from your eBook. I'd love to have that one on my iphone. I know there are logs out there but I don't find them very practical sorry maybe I haven’t tried hard enough but that’s the point make it simple to use and practical and success will be yours. Ben the Cisco guys were around the top end user all the time and that was there world so they thought the emphasis should be on those guys but after our talks they decided to reach out to the most users and provide a product to help them perform at their best. Moral of the story is to “Remember the little people” well maybe not so little.

Time for an update:

Firstly, I just want to take a minute and be proud of how far I have come this year. I am so much faster and so much sharper than I was last year. The more balanced training plan I put in place worked really well for me. For the first time, I am now the guy that is often setting the fastest stage times, even with a fairly deep field of GMs competing against me.

Area 3 is a match unlike many others, with lots of opportunity to shoot while moving. I shot on the move pretty much all the time, even when the targets were 20 yards away! This led to me dropping quite a few more points than I would normally, but paid off with much better stage times.

Here is a good example of what I am talking about. I shot this stage extremely aggressively including shooting while moving whenever it made sense. I dropped a TON of points (20) but I was able to cut about 2 seconds off the rest of the field, giving me the stage win.

As much as this year’s training plan has worked for me, it is time to scrap it. I need to really focus on hardcore accurate shooting so I can finish the year out strong. The biggest matches of the year always come down to who can hit the best, and I want to be that guy.

So… from this point to the end of the shooting season I am all about making tight shots under tough circumstances.

One other note:

I have been approached to co-author an E-book on training for shooting competition.

Questions:

What do you guys think of E-books?

What would you like to see in it?

What is a reasonable price point?

I think if we do an E-book that does well I could maybe do an ACTUAL book later on.

Email me with any comments.

I learned a lot at the IPSC nationals.

I did bone one stage pretty hard, I just aimed in the wrong spot on some partials shot from the prone position. I paid for it by zeroing the stage. Aside from that stage I didn’t really shoot a bad match. I made some mistakes here and there, but nothing too terrible.

I am on the right track with my training. I am WAY better than I was last year, and I will be even better next year.

One administrative note: My website has been hacked. It still displays just fine when you go to it, but it is compromised. I need to tear it down and build a new one, but it will be awhile before I have time to do that. Please be patient.

• 3 weeks later...

I learned a lot at the IPSC nationals.

I did bone one stage pretty hard, I just aimed in the wrong spot on some partials shot from the prone position. I paid for it by zeroing the stage. Aside from that stage I didn’t really shoot a bad match. I made some mistakes here and there, but nothing too terrible.

I am on the right track with my training. I am WAY better than I was last year, and I will be even better next year.

One administrative note: My website has been hacked. It still displays just fine when you go to it, but it is compromised. I need to tear it down and build a new one, but it will be awhile before I have time to do that. Please be patient.

Hello Ben, I don't know if you remember me, I wrote a email some months ago asking you for a book. I am your fan.

I could watch you in some videos from Argentine shooters. I felt very proud when a I watched our shooters (from Argentina) in the super scuad with you, Eric, Matt, etc.

Gaston Quindi Valerga is our 2011 national champion and I took a course with him some months ago. He is a very good instructor and I learnt a lot from him. He shoots very well and he finish at 80% in the 9 position.

I watched all the stages and I think that the national was very demanding and wonderful, Frank Garcia knows very well this sport.

You shot excellent and you result was excellent too, congrats! I would like to go, meet you and shoot that great match.

Regards

Alejandro

PD: sorry becaues my english it's not good.

It has been a long while since my last update.

I have gone through the busiest time I can recall for shooting. I had a bunch of major matches and a bunch of classes over the last few months. I have nearly finished my shooting book, it should be released soon. I was hoping to have it out sooner, but I sent the book to a few random people scattered around the country. They sent me feedback on the book and pointed out some problems. I wanted those issues fixed (obviously) before the book was released.

Shooting wise, things are looking pretty good headed into nationals. I leave in 2 days for Vegas and I feel pretty much ready. I certainly have improved my skill level quite a bit in the last year, and I am in the middle of formulating my training plan for next year. After Nationals I will be able to get back into training really hard.