Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger

Ben Stoeger

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been working my transitions really hard lately. I designed a bunch of these drills lately and have been enjoying doing them. I think this is an important way for me to shave time off on stages. I want to bring the sights to the next target and have them be aligned… always. If that isn’t happening I am working on it.

Dryfire is going about 2 hours a day lately.

Ben,

Care to share some hints on transitions for dry-fire? Do you have any good drills other than your book's or Anderson's?

I'd like to hear about "off season" or "maintenance" training. Maybe even the weekly training hour ratios like you have in your book?

Thanks,

DNH

Ben,

Care to share some hints on transitions for dry-fire? Do you have any good drills other than your book's or Anderson's?

I'd like to hear about "off season" or "maintenance" training. Maybe even the weekly training hour ratios like you have in your book?

Thanks,

DNH

Right now I am working on this:

Post in the notch: One concept that has helped me a great deal is to try to keep the front sight post centered in the notch while I transition. I don’t mean that you should look at the sights while you transition, you shouldn’t. However, you should see the sights come onto the next target and already be lined up when they get there. If they aren’t lined up, you probably changed your upper body position during the transition. This is a big help especially on relatively wide target transitions.

I think I am training about 15 hours a week right now... maybe a bit more. Hard to say exactly.

As far as drills.. Yeah there are books you can buy.. but really all you need to so is set up different scenarios. If you already have a book on it you should have plenty of ideas. If anything you could change up the target difficulty and still use the same drills.

Ben,

Gotta admit I've been sloppy with keeping the "index" for efficient transitions. I've got to be honest about what I'm doing if I'm going to keep the "Post in the Notch".

It's also obviously faster because there's one less step of cleaning up sight alignment.

Thanks! Great stuff!

DNH

BTW Your book provides new insight in pursuing action pistol. It is a great read and a good addition to my shooting library.

Edited by daves_not_here

I have been working my transitions really hard lately. I designed a bunch of these drills lately and have been enjoying doing them. I think this is an important way for me to shave time off on stages. I want to bring the sights to the next target and have them be aligned… always. If that isn’t happening I am working on it.

Dryfire is going about 2 hours a day lately.

Are you using the eyes closed draw and index drill out of BE's book?

Ok so I started hitting the training REALLY hard yesterday. I promptly screwed up my legs doing “port to port” drills and screwed up my hand because I gripped so hard for so long.

Since I was messed up I loaded 3000 rounds instead.

Hopefully I can do more tomorrow.

Ben,

When moving between shooting positions far enough to let go with the support hand:

When and how do you re-establish your grip?

• 1 step before the shooting position, 2 steps, when slowing down...?
  • Do you use some kind of queue to get the support hand back on the gun?

I occasionally don't have a good grip and throw the first shot after moving to a port, wall, tunnel etc.

Right now I want to work on consistentcy. I'd like to ingrain "getting a grip" so I don't get thrown by a something different on the CoF.

Thanks,

DNH

Ben,

When moving between shooting positions far enough to let go with the support hand:

I get both hands back on the gun a step or two before I think I will need them there... whenever that is. Better to be early than late.

My index point is the bottom of the trigger guard. I run my weak hand pointer finger into it so I know where I am at.

Ben,

I get both hands back on the gun a step or two before I think I will need them there... whenever that is. Better to be early than late.

My index point is the bottom of the trigger guard. I run my weak hand pointer finger into it so I know where I am at.

Damn you should write a book about this stuff!

Ben,

It's almost a "duh" common sense thing.

Thanks for the additional index information. That will definitely help with consistency. For a while I'll be doing it consciously so actually feeling the finger register will help in transitioning my concentration to the next task.

My mantra is now "better to be early than late".

Thanks,

DNH

I am hitting the dry fire HARD after getting back from Florida. Ammo is getting loaded, guns are getting squared away, I am looking at the match schedule, and so forth. Basically, the administrative stuff is going well.

My next trip is to Texas, and I am hoping to be dry fired up by then. I am probably shooting the Alabama Section in March, so that will be my first major of the year. I am excited about that.

Also, I am finishing the Technique book I have been working on for ages. Hopefully, it will go over well. This book is 3 times the length of the first one.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been super sick this week so I am not getting much training done.

Kita is sick as well and has been unable to work for 9 days!

When I get better I am going to have to train HARD to make up for lost time.

News:

I may be switching guns this year, we will see. It depends on a lot of factors.

Technique book will be out soon. I am pumped about that.

Looking forward to the technique book. I found your books help sort out the rest of what is out there so I can apply it.

Thanks! It is out.... finally.

Also, I am feeling much better. Kita is STILL sick (but getting better).

I am back into the training. BOOM.

Ben, I just got your technique book and it is awesome! I am super impressed with how you address the why behind each technique and present different perspectives when top shooters differ. I can tell it took a ton of thought and effort by many people (including forum friends like Donovan and Andy - it was cool to see their names in the credits! :)); thank you SO much for putting it all together.

I can tell that I will be referring to this a lot as a develop as a shooter.

p.s. - I think the crowd-sourcing improved your writing too, or maybe you just improved as a writer since your first book. ;)

Ben, I just got your technique book and it is awesome! I am super impressed with how you address the why behind each technique and present different perspectives when top shooters differ. I can tell it took a ton of thought and effort by many people (including forum friends like Donovan and Andy - it was cool to see their names in the credits! :)); thank you SO much for putting it all together.

I can tell that I will be referring to this a lot as a develop as a shooter.

p.s. - I think the crowd-sourcing improved your writing too, or maybe you just improved as a writer since your first book. ;)

Thank you! I actually "crowd sourced" the first 2 books a lot as well, I just didn't keep track of everyone so I couldn't list them all in the credits.

Thank you for buying it and I hope it works out for you.

Doing mad dryfire is proving to be difficult. I have been trying to dramatically increase the amount of dryfire as opposed to last year, but it is tough because I keep hurting my hands doing it. I think I will HTFU and be able to make some progress.

Doing mad dryfire is proving to be difficult. I have been trying to dramatically increase the amount of dryfire as opposed to last year, but it is tough because I keep hurting my hands doing it. I think I will HTFU and be able to make some progress.

How much dryfire are you doing a day?