Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger

Ben Stoeger

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2012 shooting season is now over.

I realize I haven’t really updated things around here a whole lot lately. I have been really busy. My book is done and will be released soon. I shot a ton of matches recently. I have been training hard. I have been teaching a lot. In short, I am busy with this whole shooting thing.

Overall, I am really happy with my shooting this year. I am markedly better than I was last year, I guess that is all a guy can really ask for. Of course, I am retooling my training plan for next year just like I always do. I am going to apply the lessons learned and all of that. However, more importantly I have decided to find the time and ammo money to really get good next year. I want to double my training time over what I currently do. This is a tall order, but it is important to me to keep improving.

Overall, I want to refine the little details in my game. I want to be more consistent and generally faster. Mostly though, I want to be a lot more accurate than I am now. It strikes me as odd that no matter how much accuracy work I do, when I get to the big matches I never feel like I am accurate enough.

In any event, I am gearing up for a big year next year.

Sound to me like you need to consider moving to a more hospitable winter climate. I've been to Au Claire in the winter, hard to grip a gun with mittens on. I wish I had your skill and discipline. Down here we get all kinds of amateur and pro athletes because the weather allows them to train year round. Me, I get to shoot my club matches year round without a long break or having to suffer inside indoor ranges.

What's your plan for the offseason to stay sharp and avoid burnout?

I wont touch a gun outside of teaching obligations for awhile.

I like to take a look at all the reference materials I have (Books, DVDs, etc) and get some new ideas. A year of shooting experience always changes the way I look at things... the same old match DVDs I have been watching forever seem fresh again.

After awhile I will hit the dryfire HARD... and I mean HARD. Hours a day most likely. I will also be loading ammo like a fiend.

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to Nashville this weekend and coming home with a trunk full of bullets.

Yes sir, I am going to be busy loading this winter.

My self imposed "off" season from shooting ends at the end of the month. Then I am getting back into the dryfire and all that jazz. I can't wait. I have lots of ideas for my training.

yeah, I hear ya. I shot alot of cast this year but I decided to try some Bayou Bullets this time around. If you are looking for a deal on cast bullets check out Dardas cast bullets, his prices are really good for anything over 10K.

Just got home from a fantastic class in Nashville. It wasn't great because of me... it was great because there was a really fun group of guys that were ready to learn. I enjoyed it.

I returned to the north to find it is now cold as shit up here. Lame. It is going to be reloading/dryfire time for the next few months. I am looking forward to learning some new things (seeing as I have some lessons I learned this year that I want to apply).

Also, I am getting cracking on my next projects. We are developing a phone app that will be a way to bring drills and drill modules to the range with you. If you have ideas about that let me know.

Also, I am getting cracking on the technique book in the next few weeks. If you have suggestions I would like to hear them.

Also, I am getting cracking on my next projects. We are developing a phone app that will be a way to bring drills and drill modules to the range with you. If you have ideas about that let me know.

The app should help you score. Like you tap in a time, then Alpha, Alpha, Charlie, Bravo, Mike, and your HF is stored with a date time stamp.

An App I'd like to see... Take Practiscore (define drills, store target scores), build in the timer, ** have ability to save total time AND splits ** for each drill. Also have ability to transfer all data into a Training Log - a database or spreadsheet.

Currently I record my live fire drills on a Google Doc or a ToDo list like Catch and read/enter data from my Android phone at the range. If I want to record splits, it takes considerably more time. I'll use voice to record which helps a little. When I get home I have to cut and paste to transfer to a log which is a spreadsheet.

The app should help you score. Like you tap in a time, then Alpha, Alpha, Charlie, Bravo, Mike, and your HF is stored with a date time stamp.

I use something similar to this. They call it a calculator.

And so do I. But what becomes cumbersome is the fact that our score is points/time which kinda clashes with the record time, record hits while pasting work flow. Also, ta calculator won't store my HF for a given stage with a time stamp and compare it to previous runs (kinda like your own classification system...)

Sure, I do that all with paper right now, but it adds range time while I'm there and time away from family once I get home to track my progress.

What I'd rather see when I come home is just a brake down of what drills I improved upon, and which I need to work harder on to guide my dry fire practice.

Also, Why do more and more matches use Practiscore?

Edited by PistoleroJesse

I didn't quite hit a 60, but I did shoot OK.

Yeah, OK.

1. I need to work on shooting barricades. Sight alignment is a problem on those 20 yard shots when I am leaning.

It's reassuring to hear a USPSA GM say that.

2. Gun handling is weak. My draws and reloads from IDPA gear suck. I suck at slide lock reloads.

I'm assuming your "sucky" slide-lock reload was better than many IDPA Masters' -- but what did you find challenging?

3. Accuracy and shot calling were very good. I knew where all my shots went before they got there.

Naturally.

• 1 month later...

It has been quite awhile since my last confession.

I have been busy (as always). I formulated my training plan for next year. Reviewed a bunch of goals. Loaded ammo…etc.

I have been writing like an absolute madman. Thanks to those of you that took a look at the stuff I sent to you and took the time to write in some feedback. You guys make the books I have coming better for everyone.

• 2 weeks later...