Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger

Ben Stoeger

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wise man, took long enough! Good luck, good choice. A lotta people are going to be surprised its not a CZzzzzzzz.

Oh yea. Joining them isn't cheating. Is it?

Edited by a matt

The X5 fits my hand well, but the Tanfoglio is ( to me ) a better gun.. We will be watching you in Fl. at Franks place to see how you are dong later this year. Good luck! At least the field has leveled out now.. Lol

Edited by a matt

My new gat is treating me well. It shoots REAAAAALY nice. I am sorting out some technical issues with the setup right now. I need for it to detonate every primer I put in it, and it just wants to set off federals right now. I have springs coming tomorrow that will solve this issue.

Drawing, reloading, and transitioning the gun is coming along pretty well. It weighs like half a pound more than my old gun, so it does feel weird when I am rocking and rolling between targets. I am not precise with that stuff yet, and likely wont be before Area 5. I am anticipating a dogshit performance against the Minkers.

The other thing with this gun, (other than the insane accuracy potential) is that it has a much faster rhythm than my beretta… if that makes sense. Instead of waiting on the gun to come down out of recoil, the thing is waiting on me to shoot it faster.
I have 6 days of training with it so far and 5 days left to put it together.

Instead of swapping hammer springs you need to get a longer firing pin. Eric Graufel makes an extended firing pin that that works with the stock firing pin block. The link is below. With this longer firing pin you may be able to get away with running a lighter hammer spring than what you are using now and still set off the primers. This would lighten the DA trigger pull weight.

http://www.ericgrauffel.com/shop/product.php?id_product=216

I would recommend trying this: Lean on the thumb safety - a lot. For freestyle and for S.H.O. Devote a few dozen/few hundred rounds to this & see how it goes. If the left thumb needs a new position to accommodate this, so be it. Weak-hand-only seems to go better (for me) with the thumb curled down.

Area 5 is all done.

I had some challenges before the match. I didn’t have long to get my guns, test the setup, figure out that setup wasn’t going to run, get new parts, set the gun up, and test the setup.

I had a really choppy match. The first few stages I was slow and inconsistent. The new gun wasn’t tracking all that well and I couldn’t swing it around that fast. I crashed hard on a stage (stage 6) and got extremely pissed. I stopped trying to muscle the gun around and drive it aggressively and then just chilled out and shot things as they came to me. I finished the day out strong, winning 3 stages in a row. I also won both the stand and shoot short courses in the overall results, that is a first for me at an Area match.

The second day I just tried not to push the gun around fast because I couldn’t get it to line up for me. I boned up a stage pretty hard, but didn’t have too bad a day otherwise. I only went absolutely crazy on one stage, and that was the darkhouse. I knew I needed to make some magic happen on that stage to make up for my mistakes.

In a former life I road dirt bikes. I started racing on a big heavy ill handling beast (it465 yamaha 2 stroke) and raced it for 3 years. I got pretty competitive on it and then switched to a lite fast bike that handled like a dream (300 ktm 2 stroke). I crashed a lot for the first couple of weeks because I was over controlling it a lot. Once I figured it out I got a lot faster in a short period of time. I think the skills I learned by running the beast for 3 years helped me for the rest of the 20 years I road dirt bikes. Nothing was ever that hard again.

I think with your skills you will get through the transition to the new gun pretty quickly and the lessons learned by shooting the less than optimum gun will stay with you forever. If I shot production at a GM level I would be very scared.

By the way, thank you for the books and stuff. I saw a piece of video from a match I shot this weekend where I truly drove the gun to a target that was at about 90 degrees, and let the shot off the instant it was on the target. I have never seen myself do that before. Seeing what three weeks of 45 minutes a day dry fire has done is amazing. I am sleeping less and shooting better. Sleep is over rated.

That shooting and those transitions through the ports at the start of the stage at 3:34 are wicked fast and I get what Opendot is saying. For us that would be living on the edge, for me anyway. I replayed that several times and knew what he was getting at when I read his post.

I have had another week of training with my gun, mostly dryfire. I think I am into it for about 20 hours for the last 7 days. I had one real quick range session with the gun Saturday morning.

Transitioning the 44 ounce gun around is taking some getting used to, but I am getting there. The draws and reloads are coming along. I am thinking that I should be good to go for nationals later in the year.

That having been said, I really miss the feeling of having my gun be the subconscious extension of my body. I have had a couple hints of that with the new gun, but nothing like things used to be. At this point, there is no doubt in my mind that ultimately I will come out way ahead in this deal, it is just going to take some time.