Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger

Ben Stoeger

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doing mad dryfire is proving to be difficult. I have been trying to dramatically increase the amount of dryfire as opposed to last year, but it is tough because I keep hurting my hands doing it. I think I will HTFU and be able to make some progress.

How much dryfire are you doing a day?

I am TRYING to do 2-3 HARD hours every day. It isn't going all that well.

I am training hard these days and trying to do as much as I can. Things are tough right now though. My press is broken and Kita can’t get anyone on the phone at Dillon to help get it fixed. Components are hard to find. The winter seems to be going long. I am ready to get to live fire training and things just aren’t going my way. On the upside, I am getting used to doing the extended dryfire stuff and I am able to keep it up more.

I am contemplating a gun switch… but I don’t know if it is worth the effort and money at this point. We will see.

• 2 weeks later...

After being confined to the dimly lit basement for a winter of dryfire, I was finally able to get to the outdoor range today. My dryfire routine has mainly consisted of Bens drills including, but not limited to, plate rack drills, far-close-far, reload drills, and movement drills. 

Some observations:

1) My off hand groups at 25 yards were good (not amazing). Aiming at the center A, I was about a 3" group. My groups have always been off to the left due to poor grip and trigger control. 

2) I worked a version of far-close-far with the end results having the same time and splits regardless of drawing on the close or far target. Accuracy was also constant with alphas. Throttle control has also always been an issue.

3) Plate rack and movement. I did one run at his just for fun. I started at about 40' and moved on an angle while shooting the plate rack. Surprisingly I cleared it 3.01 while going one for one. 

4) The "Viscussi" reload challenge. I ended the day with this to finish up my ammo. I did three runs from the draw, one shot, reload, etc. 5 shots, 4 reloads at 7 yards. The best I could get was 5.69 with 5 hits on steel. I fumbled 2 reloads so I think I could get this under 5 seconds eventually. Other than being a novelty drill, it is great practice for getting to the harder to reach mags that aren't normally used on a stage. (Production rig)Also, since using the books I've shot my first 2 GM % classifiers. One of them being a 100%.

Conclusion: The drills and techniques from the books are working. The payoffs are being seen in all aspects of shooting, not just stand and shoot situations.

Edited by alpha-charlie

After being confined to the dimly lit basement for a winter of dryfire, I was finally able to get to the outdoor range today. My dryfire routine has mainly consisted of Bens drills including, but not limited to, plate rack drills, far-close-far, reload drills, and movement drills.

Just to be clear, you started practicing, and you are getting better? I am shocked. :yawn:

I just got back from a fun and productive trip to Texas. Although I was down there to teach other people how to shoot better, I did learn a bit about myself. The only live fire I have done in the last few months has been to demo stuff in classes. I don’t demo a whole bunch, just the stuff that needs it. I am not a pincus that never demos anything, just not crazy about demonstrating every drill every time.

In any event, I think my accuracy has gotten a bit better from all the winter dryfire. I am able to see my sights reaaaaaly well. I was especially happy with my strong hand and weak hand shooting. Good times.

• 2 weeks later...

I am starting to get genuinely pissed off about the weather. Last year it was 60 degrees and no snow on the ground. THIS year, it is still like the middle of the winter. Go burn some Styrofoam or something and help me out. I want to shoot.

See you Alabama guys this weekend!

I have been dry firing SUPER aggressively the last few days. My wrists and hands can’t take much of it. Eventually my trigger speed slows to the point where it is almost counterproductive to continue. I am enjoying it!

I have been paying particular attention to target transition drills… and I feel like I am really making ground. It is a common mistake for me to pull off a target before I am done actually shooting it, and I am working through that in dry fire to correct it.

The only shooting I have done since November has been demo related stuff in classes. In just that little bit of shooting I feel like I have gotten tons better. I am grouping students guns pretty well, shooting my own gun alright. I feel like once I knock the rust off after the snow melts I will be stronger than ever. I am excited.

• 2 weeks later...

I FINALLY got out to shoot a little bit today. It was still really cold, so it was tough to do too much. I did get a good sense of where I am.

All the winter dry fire has been paying off. I felt nice and accurate. The only shooting I have done in the last 5 months has been in classes. I got some video of one stage.

So, with zero live fire practice I feel really consistent. I know that once I knock the rust off I will be in a much better place than last year. I can’t wait.

I just had a really good range session.

I did shooting from 3 to 25 yards. I worked on bill drills, distance changes, reloads, etc. Pretty standard stuff.

The downs:

I need to be better at getting my grip at speed.

I need to let the gun stay on longer targets before transitioning to the close stuff. Too many points down by doing that stuff wrong.

I am really choppy on the hoser stuff. Since I haven’t really shot for so long this is excusable for now. As I shoot more this spring this problem should go away.

The Ups:

I ran the frank Garcia dot drill twice in a row at the end of the practice. I was clean both times! 72/72 hits on the dots.

I had a good time shooting (teaching is more like it) over the weekend. I borrowed a limited gun for a run or two on a stage. I enjoyed that very much. I am seriously thinking it is time for a new gun, but I want to stay in production. Yes… I have finally reached a point I genuinely feel my gun is holding me back a bit. It took awhile to get there.

New gun itch aside, my ammo stockpile is growing, my dry fire is going well, and I am ready to get going for the year. I designed a few new drills I am going to test on guinea pigs (students), so I am eager to see how that goes.

I have some video from this last weekend as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Training today

Shooting: Index hosing (I don't do it much) is all about keeping the gun on the target it needs to be on until I am done shooting it. There really isn't any other element that seems to matter.

I didn't get faster or slower or anything as I went. I was flat out the entire time through the whole practice session. That is a first for me.

Training: Dryfire book is working super well.

Equipment: I would be able to shoot faster with a lighter trigger. My gun doesn't group like I think it should. Time for my beretta to go.

Equipment: I would be able to shoot faster with a lighter trigger. My gun doesn't group like I think it should. Time for my beretta to go.

Any decision on what the replacement would be?

Yes. It's a Taurus PT92.