Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger

Ben Stoeger

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just returned from my CFS (Competition Focused Shooting) Instructor Conference. Yes… that name is a joke.

It was a 5 day long shooting and training event with a few highly motivated shooters. We built stages, trained, learned, and so on. I got updates from people on how their dry fire training was going, how their live fire was going, and so on. The progress made by other shooters using my materials is an important tool for me to know, because when I update or release new stuff I want it to be better.

My most recent podcast dealt with the subject a bit, if you are interested in giving it a listen.

In terms of my own shooting, I feel like I have made some progress since last year. I make the training so tough that it is hard to feel good about it sometimes… but I think I am learning. I had some 55 yard classic targets (for example) shot during field courses. I didn’t have a single mike on them… unless I put a no shoot on them and made them partials. That is a first for me. Draw times dropped a hair since last year on most drills, reloads are a bit more consistent, and so forth. All around, my shooting has gotten a bit better.

I learned a lot about stage breakdown and execution during my time, as I was focused on big stages and not so much on little drills. To consistently shoot a big stage to the level of perfection that I am looking for is nearly impossible. I really enjoy the challenge, but damn it is tough. Shooting all As and going one for one on steel is so much easier said than done.

More to come.

More to come.

Edited by Ben Stoeger

What did you learn to drop your draw time?

Aside from doing a lot of reps at high speed (where I really focus on getting a good grip on the gun) I am shooting closer targets with a little bit less of a sight picture. I am often on the trigger now just before the fiber comes up into the A zone on the close range stuff.

I am often on the trigger now just before the fiber comes up into the A zone on the close range stuff.

So you're typically not starting to crank the trigger until you've aligned the sights on target?

I am often on the trigger now just before the fiber comes up into the A zone on the close range stuff.

So you're typically not starting to crank the trigger until you've aligned the sights on target?

I need to see high speed footage to be sure... but I don't think so. If the target is tougher than a 7 yard metric target I don't start on the trigger pull nearly so soon.

If the target is tougher than a 7 yard metric target I don't start on the trigger pull nearly so soon.

Do you think that this approach is faster than prepping the trigger during the draw? I switched from an M&P to a CZ 75 earlier this year and have been trying to get most of the DA trigger pull done prior to refining sight alignment. Now I read that someone much faster than me stays off the trigger until much later in the first shot process and am scratching my head!

If the target is tougher than a 7 yard metric target I don't start on the trigger pull nearly so soon.

Do you think that this approach is faster than prepping the trigger during the draw? I switched from an M&P to a CZ 75 earlier this year and have been trying to get most of the DA trigger pull done prior to refining sight alignment. Now I read that someone much faster than me stays off the trigger until much later in the first shot process and am scratching my head!

The whole "Trigger Prep" thing has never worked for me with a DA trigger. I just roll that bad boy through when I want to smoke a target.