Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger

Ben Stoeger

I decided to test myself with the IDPA Fast Drill. I last played with it in 2009 and frankly I wasn't very good at it. I want to get trained up to earn a FAST coin (basically its like a GM card, I have read very few GMs can do this under 5 seconds)

I ran it from concealment like I am supposed to. I was able to do quite a bit better than the run I got on video, but not with any regularity. I NEVER practice with my IDPA stuff so I wasn't that quick out of it.

After running it the way I am supposed to, I tried it with my USPSA rig.

I then removed the slide lock load requirement and just did an in battery speed reload.

It was amazing to see the different that USPSA style shooting made over IDPA shooting. (even taking into account the fact I don't practice with my IDPA rig anymore...because IDPA is lame)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must have significant faith in your reloading skills not to wear eye pro. Nice run. I feel better about myself that you weren't able to beat my 7 yard time at 15 yards :blush:

Edited by DonovanM

You must have significant faith in your reloading skills not to wear eye pro. Nice run. I feel better about myself that you weren't able to beat my 7 yard time at 15 yards :blush:

I just forgot them to start with... I was wearing my Rudys for the second two runs. =)

I just got in from the practice range. I was working 25 yard bill drills. My goal is to be able to crank 6 As in 2 seconds from that distance… and man it is TOUGH.

My best run today was a 2.06 with a C… very irritating.

I obviously had some terrible runs shooting at crazy speed at 25 yards… but the cool thing was that I was consistently able to call my shots. It was a great feeling seeing the sight bounce up and down off the target and knowing where each bullet was headed… even if it wasn’t an A. We will see if I can close the deal on a 2 second run at 25 this year.

I went out today to do some training. I used some drills from Pistol-training.com

I started cold on the FAST and ran a pretty messy low 3s. I then switched to 25 yard drills on the head box of an IDPA target. The goal was 6 head shots from the holster with a 4 second PAR time. I enjoyed the drill and must say I was quite challenged by it.

I then set about irritating Vogel.

After that was done I shot the Ihack SHO/WHO. I didn’t care for the PAR times or the start position. I ran it from the holster and with a 4 second par. The weak hand was tough under those conditions and I enjoyed the challenge. I was not able to get all the hits consistently. Tight shots weak hand only are one of the times having a DA/SA gun is annoying. It is hard to be accurate off the double action shot for me.

Training continues.

Edited by Ben Stoeger

Ben,

Which holster and mag pouches are you using theses days?

Thanks

Im rolling with the Wilson Combat "tactical assault" holster. It is made by safariland I just don't know the model number. I use the DOH adapter for it as well.

My mag pouches are Ghost and they kick ass pretty hard.

It's great you and Vogel are demonstrating the FAST drills. Shows what times other shooters besides Sevigny can do on it.

Lee

Dave just shot it cold one time and made a video of that event. (That is my understanding anyway)

His shooting is extremely impressive! What Bob and I are doing is something different though. We are actually shooting the drill multiple times. If Dave were to do that I bet he could go LOTS faster than 2.77.

I am headed out late tonight for Florida. This marks the first time in my adult life I have flown somewhere for a vacation. It will be strange to check a bag that does not contain a gun… that is for sure.

I will be back in Wisconsin on Friday, in time to teach a 2 day USPSA class near La Crosse.

After that mess I will be spending 3 days on the range training with a couple very good shooters. I anticipate about 1000 rounds a day of shooting. That should be quite interesting. When we trained last year before nationals we were shooting 60 yard partial targets at speed. We did some 30 yard WHO plate racks. I can only imagine the twisted shooting challenges that they will come up with to punish me.