Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger

Ben Stoeger

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was nice shooting with you Saturday. Thanks for the help with stage planning. It really helpded out. Congratulations on your win too. Your shooting looked really good, thoug there was that one Mike... :P

I'm going to work on shooting a texas star on the move so I can be like Ben!

I am back with some commentary on the Indiana Section match.

The match was mostly up close in your face type stuff. There were lots of different ways to shoot some of the stages, but most of the options didn’t really make too much of a difference results wise. Since all the targets were close, I also knew that everyone would be able to shoot quickly. I decided to really go for points during this match.

Overall, I had an OK match, not my best work but no real huge issues.

On the short course bay (stage 4, 5, and 6) I had a rough time on the mid range (15 yard or so) targets. It was near the end of the day and I simply could not hang onto my gun due to the sweat. I dropped lots of points and tried slinging an extra at one of the targets, but still hit a C. It doesn’t take many dropped points on a 40 point stage to have you start losing ground. This sweaty hands issue (even after using pro grip) was not nearly as bad as at the Wisconsin Section, but it was still present. I ordered the Bowling Cream that Jennings told me about. I havent found the Adhere II stuff that Rob mentioned on here. Anyone know where to get that? I want to try it.

I also feel like my grip is a little beat weak on the strong hand shooting. I worked that some today during practice and am going to work on it more later. You can see my gun flying around a lot during the strong hand sections of the video.

Stage 11 was my worst stage of the match, I just plain sucked on it. I dropped way too many points for no real good reason. I was careless while shooting on the move and imprecise on the distance targets. No matter how much I train I still occasionally make mistakes like that.

I didn’t have any real standout great stages, I can find something to improve on all of them. I was the most happy with stage 2 though. I kept moving well and collected lots of points. If only I was a little more aggressive on the close targets I would have put up a better time.

It was nice shooting with you Saturday. Thanks for the help with stage planning. It really helpded out. Congratulations on your win too. Your shooting looked really good, thoug there was that one Mike... :P

I'm going to work on shooting a texas star on the move so I can be like Ben!

Stupid mikes!

The moving texas star is the way to do it! haha

Ben-

Sorry for the confusion, apparantly the bottle I have is older. I got it from a bullseye shooter some time ago. The new name is Firm Grip Powder and is made by Cramer products out of Gardner Kansas. When checking for the new name, Mueller ball handling adherents and Mighty Grip were two other names that came up that were recommended. Amazon.com has some of them. Here is a link for a site that has Cramer products.

http://www.collinssports.com/products/searchResults.asp?sec=48&ssec=70&lc=SB

Rob

Great range log ben i have the same grip issue in florida. I use a $2 rosin bag from the bowling alley and grip tape from a local surf shop a huge sheet is like $5. When im the on deck shooter i shake the rosin bag and im good to go hope this can help.

I enjoyed your video. I was comparing my times to yours since we both had to reload after 10 (I shot L10). You rocked stage 7. Watching my video in comparison it looks like slow motion and I was 2 seconds off your pace.

I came to the same conclusion about it being a points match. I said the same thing, everyone will be able to hose it, must go for points. Although comparing scores, it looked beneficial to allow up to 7 points down if it meant going 1 second faster.

Ben-

Sorry for the confusion, apparantly the bottle I have is older. I got it from a bullseye shooter some time ago. The new name is Firm Grip Powder and is made by Cramer products out of Gardner Kansas. When checking for the new name, Mueller ball handling adherents and Mighty Grip were two other names that came up that were recommended. Amazon.com has some of them. Here is a link for a site that has Cramer products.

http://www.collinssports.com/products/searchResults.asp?sec=48&ssec=70&lc=SB

Rob

Thanks Rob

I came to the same conclusion about it being a points match. I said the same thing, everyone will be able to hose it, must go for points. Although comparing scores, it looked beneficial to allow up to 7 points down if it meant going 1 second faster.

The problem is that I really can't judge how many points I will drop in a certain time or anything like that. I can only shoot the time I shoot, and get as many points as I can get in that time. At least thats the way I do it.

I was just referring to the quality of sight picture or perhaps a partial target. I don't plan to drop points but if the c zone is all that I see unless I lean far out, which is slow, I may look at taking that. Just something I want to keep in mind.

Now to watch your vid one more time..

I was just referring to the quality of sight picture or perhaps a partial target. I don't plan to drop points but if the c zone is all that I see unless I lean far out, which is slow, I may look at taking that. Just something I want to keep in mind.

Now to watch your vid one more time..

Yessir... those are good things to remember. Shooting Minor you don't wanna do that too much.. with a limited gun I can think of quite a few stages I would have aimed at different spots on. =(

• 2 weeks later...

Alright… Area 3 is a done deal. Video is below.

The match was the same sort of thing as last year. No penalty targets, no hardcover, and very little distance. What the match did have was LOTS of shooting on the move, and LOTS of prop driven shooting challenges.

The Mighty Grip and the bowling resin both showed up. I think the resin is the ticket for me. It is so hardcore that if I use too much of it and put it all over my hands, I cant break my grip on the gun to reload! I just am careful where I put it and I don’t use too much.

Looking over the scores for the match, it really drives home how important shooting all the points is. On a few stages, I shot a relatively slow time, but I got the points, so I came out on top.

Mink shot a couple freaking crazy stage runs (on the car stage and the 8 round steel stage you shot seated). I did something dumb and tried to beat him on those stages. Of course, that never works, and I paid the price with a couple crappy stages, including a D hit. I will learn one of these days.

Love how your upper body/head/arms don't move at all vertically while shooting while moving... I can also see how your eyes are snapping to the next targets just as your shot breaks. Awesome shooting and vids. Great win.

• 2 weeks later...

Been awhile since my last update...

I have about a month before USPSA nationals. Travel plans are made and I am good to go. I took a couple weeks to catch up on work stuff, and now I can kick my training into high gear. I am planning to spend a few days on the range for a training camp in a couple weeks. It will be 3 days, 1000 rounds or so a day. That will be the last big tune up before nationals.

I did the best shooting of my life last night... and got a glimpse of the next level of shooting.

I was shooting partial classic targets at 25-30 yards.. just kind of doing a few different drills. I didn't realize it untill after.. but I called all my shots and always fired a make up if I clipped a no shoot, even if the bullet just barely touched it I was still able to call it off the sights... it was cool!

On one string, my grip felt really good and my sights kept returning quickly, so I shot the appropriate speed. All the bullets hit within 3 inches of each other, and my split times ran between .22 and .25 seconds! It was nutty! I need to learn to shoot that way all the time.

Looking over the scores for the match, it really drives home how important shooting all the points is. On a few stages, I shot a relatively slow time, but I got the points, so I came out on top.

Shhhhhhh.

roflol.gif

It doesn't matter anyway Flex. No matter how much I preach the value of shooting points, people will still practice shooting high speed hoser stuff, if they practice at all.

I think the secret is safe on the enos forum. =)