Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger

Ben Stoeger

Close up targets with wide transitions are VERY tough to collect all the points on. If I every figure this out, I will let you know.

When I was on my game, this was something I really had to focus on. Sometimes I'd put two hits on the target that were right together in a nice tight group, but they'd be in the Charlie or Delta, instead of the Alpha. Or, I'd get a Charlie hit leading into the A-zone and maybe another Charlie on the other side from over-running the A-zone. Is that some of what you are seeing?

(I've gotta get packed...remind me to come back to this. It sounds like good stuff.)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I shot a decent match...

Clean match with one D? Winning half the stages, coming in 2nd in the others with the exception of one third place finish?

I think it was a little better than decent.

Great job!

Why didn't you pick up the D? :P

I think I shot a decent match...

Clean match with one D? Winning half the stages, coming in 2nd in the others with the exception of one third place finish?

Why didn't you pick up the D? :P

I didnt really do anything all that great. There were about 3 stages that I would have shot differently... and I only really had good runs on about half the stages.. plenty of room to improve.

Ya, I saw a few things, but to shoot that match clean with only 1 delta is a hell of a day. Don't cut yourself short bro... conditions were tuff the stages were tuff and you made it look easy.

Classes: Let you know in the next couple days... looks like July might work out.

JT

Ben, your footwork was stellar.

But that RO at 1.00 seemed to be in an awkward position huh?

That was an awkward place for the RO to start. His footwork was just as stellar getting out of the way!roflol.gif

Ben, your footwork was stellar.

But that RO at 1.00 seemed to be in an awkward position huh?

Yeah no kidding- he was slow to recover from that huh?

Very nice match win... there is always something that could be better... I just hope you enjoy the dominating win.

More comments on area 5:

The stages were generally difficult… the match had very little hosing in it. This match was precision stuff. It had lots of aiming and lots of moving targets that you had to prepare for. I was able to be VERY accurate. I wasn’t a little better than before… I crushed the match. I shot only 1 D. I had very few extras on steel. I had no penalties.

None of this is to say I had a perfect match. In fact I was far from it. I am sure now that there are 3 stages I would shoot completely differently. I think the match also exposed some other weaknesses I have to work on. But I surprised myself with the amount of points I was able to shoot. I am thrilled.

Now... the biggest issue I am seeing from the video is the amount of time it takes me to acquire, set up on, and finally shoot a difficult target. I hit the targets (that’s good).. but it took an awful lot longer than it needed to. I need to fix that.

You might also notice some bobbles. I missed some reloads.. I looked awkward in a few spots.. I pulled the gun off the target before I got done shooting it on 2 occasions. All these issues need to get worked on.

Time for me to practice hard… If I can pull it together I may have a chance to place really high at the world shoot.

Local match today

I couldnt seem to get any of the stages right today. I think I shot one that I was happy with.. and 5 that I had problems on. I got a little bit careless on one stage and clipped a no shoot... of course I had to make that up. Stupid mistake.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok… I broke my press… and I only have 6000 rounds left. =(

Dillon is sending the part, I just hate the downtime.

Wisconsin Section is the next match I have. That is coming up in the next few weeks.

Tonight… I am going out to work on my hose speed a little bit, something I haven’t done in forever.

Local match today

I couldnt seem to get any of the stages right today. I think I shot one that I was happy with.. and 5 that I had problems on. I got a little bit careless on one stage and clipped a no shoot... of course I had to make that up. Stupid mistake.

Your saying its a stupid mistake to make up the shot, or just to hit the no shoot? I know making up shots is all about if you call it and make it up instantly vs look at the target see a hole missing and shoot it again.

Was it the low target that where you hit the no shoot?

Edited by rupie

Local match today

Your saying its a stupid mistake to make up the shot, or just to hit the no shoot? I know making up shots is all about if you call it and make it up instantly vs look at the target see a hole missing and shoot it again.

Was it the low target that where you hit the no shoot?

My mistake was trying to burn that low target and not respecting the no shoot enough. It was a good idea to make it up though, that saved me some points.

The more I reflect on it, the more negative my opinion of my match at the Wisconsin Section is. I can only really think of one stage that I was happy with how I shot it. I think it was stage two... the one with a bunch of 6 shot positions.

Other than that stage, I made pretty serious mistakes or had problems on all of them. I left a LOT of points on the table when I forgot to reload on one stage. On a couple of the stage I couldn't quite get the sweaty hands issue solved and had my gun sliding around in my hand. No amount of pro grip was fixing that. I need a solution for that. On the difficult steel stage, I just plain had too many extras. Sucked it up on that one big time.

I am gonna lay back the next couple matches, then after that in August its time for a big push in my training to get my skill level up.

Have you tried the powder stuff called Adhere II. It's what they put on athlete's skin before they put the pre wrap on. It can get a bit sticky if you use a lot of it over the course of a long hot match, but our league night was really steamy last wednesday and it will definately keep your hands dry for about two stages in bad heat/humidity before you have to put it on again. YMMV.

Rob

Edited by Lawdawg112

• 2 weeks later...