Ben Stoeger

Ben Stoeger

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

The 2010 shooting season is now over.

I have to conclude that I had my best year in competition that I have yet had. I really feel like I made some strides forward.

Let me recap a few things. Looking back over my matches last year, I posted about how I just plain shot the gun too slowly. I think I have mostly corrected this deficiency. I am shooting faster on close targets and far targets, and doing so consistently. This is much of the reason for the improvement this year.

Now, let’s look at things to work on now.

The IPSC Nationals this year was a simple match… Straightforward stages.. very few props, not a lot of partial targets, etc. There were ample oppourtunities to shoot on the move. It was a straight up no BS match. I did quite well.

USPSA Nationals on the other hand was different. There were lots of partial targets, props, leaning around stuff, complicated stages, and very little opportunity to shoot while moving.

So, obviously I need to once again retool my practice. I am going to abandon the simplistic 15 minute dry fire program for now, and instead focus on field course elements in dry fire. Things like leaning around walls, difficult partial targets, and the like will all be dealt with. I have things set up now so that I will only be using partial targets during dry fire, and will shoot at least half my targets while leaning around a wall or the like. Things are going to be much more difficult from here on out.

So, obviously I need to once again retool my practice. I am going to abandon the simplistic 15 minute dry fire program for now, and instead focus on field course elements in dry fire.

Hopefully we get Bens 30 minute live fire field course edition soon!

• 2 weeks later...
So, obviously I need to once again retool my practice. I am going to abandon the simplistic 15 minute dry fire program for now, and instead focus on field course elements in dry fire.

Hopefully we get Bens 30 minute live fire field course edition soon!

+1 That would be awesome !!

• 2 weeks later...

Off season training has been going quite well.

I have basically cranked the difficulty of my dryfire WAY up.

Everything is a test of position, partial targets.... and other such things. I have fault lines in my apartment that I am moving around to create tough leans. I like it!

The new rule of thumb for live fire practice drills is this: If the drill is difficult for me to shoot without a penalty, it is hard enough.

This has made my practice... frustrating... to say the least, but I really think that its the only thing for me to do.

Ben, I noticed that your stage performance at nationals seemed to be either top 10 or in the 30's or so overall. I'm no where near your level, but have noticed this with my stage performance. Certain types of stages, wide open, I have more trouble breaking down. Was there anything happening like this for you? Thanks for any thoughts, Chris Iliff

Ben, I noticed that your stage performance at nationals seemed to be either top 10 or in the 30's or so overall. I'm no where near your level, but have noticed this with my stage performance. Certain types of stages, wide open, I have more trouble breaking down. Was there anything happening like this for you? Thanks for any thoughts, Chris Iliff

Chris,

I am good at stand and shoot classifier type stages, shooting on the move type stages where you trot through and just keep blasting the whole time, and complicated stages that need some thinking.

I am bad at tight setup/ tight shot stages where you lean around stuff and hunt and peck for targets.

So yeah.. I have noticed.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like fun if you bring enough ammo with you. When your comute to the "Range" is nothing more than stepping out of the RV a lot of shooting can be done in a single day. I am not sure what your normal round count is per live fire training session but it might be safe to double or triple it for your trip. If I had uninhibited all day access to the range I think I could easily shoot 1500 rounds a day in quality practice :ph34r:

Another thing you should consider is the cost to travel using an RV. They can save you money on not getting a hotel, but if you are traveling a long distance then the cost of fuel will quickly offset the savings. Not to mention the travel time. Most RV's are stuck in the slow lane due to their size and lack of performance. Its not like jumping in your daily driver and cruising down the highway at 80 mph the whole way.

I am not trying to poo on your idea, just giving you some things to think about.

Sounds good to me. A whole week with a range to yourself is a dream come true to most of us. Gas it up Ben!!!! "Clark, that there is an RV" - Cousin Eddie

Can you imagine having Holmen to myself for that long? I am thinking about bringing down about 10k rounds... I doubt I would use it all though. =)

• 4 weeks later...

I am looking at the match schedule for this year.. So far I have:

Ohio State 5-20

Area 5 6-16

WI Section 7-16

Area 3 8-11

USPSA Production September sometime?

IPSC World Championships… October? I dunno…

Minnesota section..YTBD

I am also considering shooting the Wisconsin IDPA match this year… I havent done so since 2006, I did not like the match or the guys running it.. Maybe things have changed?

Am I missing any big Midwest matches? I wish Iowa would have a sectional again. I did enjoy that match when they had it.

Edited by Ben Stoeger