Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger

Ben Stoeger

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what yer saying is...

Don't try to win the match on the first stage? I sometimes think that is what causes people to tank the first few stages. The perception that they need to win the match with the first few stages.

What do you think?

So what yer saying is...

Don't try to win the match on the first stage? I sometimes think that is what causes people to tank the first few stages. The perception that they need to win the match with the first few stages.

What do you think?

I think it’s different for everyone. I personally benefit from a push. I do better when I “try”. I think that is less common in USPSA than people who need to relax and stay calm to have their best performance. The real key is knowing what mindset you need to have to be successful, and that’s different for everyone.

I had a match Sunday… I think it went ok. I really laid back the first few stages… then I hit the gas. It is pretty amazing the effect how hard I try has on my shooting.

Video:

Cool camera work!

I just got back home from area 3

14 stages in one day! It was a real test of endurance and managing yourself in the heat. I kept it together right up until the end. The match had quite a few non shooting challenges, and I found that very interesting. This was a match you wanted to show up early to and take real close look at the stages, that’s for sure.

The stage where the shooters weak hand is attached to a cable for 32 rounds of shooting I thought was actually kind of brilliant in its simplicity, but also in the challenge. I would for sure go back to this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Ben-

Question-

On Stage 2 of the MN section match (it was the one with all the hardcover targets about 5 yards away with lots of little walls to divide them up and you had to shoot on the move going down the shooting area.)

I noticed that you and a lot of the open shooters immediately ran all the way to the left past the middle targets and then started shooting the targets from left to right. In hindsight this was the faster way to shoot it, but It seems like wasted movement on a stage like that. Just wondering what made you decide to shoot it that way?

Thanks

Congrats on the good weekend!

Rob

What a weekend! 2 Majors... 2 different states. I found a lot to like at each match and had an awesome time. The only person I had to squad with that I didn't like is that silly Matt Pitel! Go back to your cage Matt! =P

Ouch! If I had feelings, they would be hurt! :sight:

I noticed that you and a lot of the open shooters immediately ran all the way to the left past the middle targets and then started shooting the targets from left to right. In hindsight this was the faster way to shoot it, but It seems like wasted movement on a stage like that. Just wondering what made you decide to shoot it that way?

Rob,

It isn't really an issue of movement. You start in the middle, and go all the way to each side. The movement distance is the same either way you do it.

Your instinct was right. It is faster just to start shooting. You get shooting right away on center targets as you move out, and then when you come back you have more space to reload before you hit targets to shoot again.

I shot it the slightly slower way (run to one side then just blast all of them) because it is 10 times easier to execute. I dont have to remember to skip certain targets on the way back or whatever. Just pick an engagement order, keep moving, and stuff mags when neccecary.

A couple of the stages in your video look a lot like Area 7 stages,

That's because they were, slightly modified versions of the A7 stages.

Ben, I loved watching your video, you really rock :cheers: . How did you like my MAPSA stage? I got a lot of positive feedback about that stage.

A couple of the stages in your video look a lot like Area 7 stages,

That's because they were, slightly modified versions of the A7 stages.

Ben, I loved watching your video, you really rock :cheers: . How did you like my MAPSA stage? I got a lot of positive feedback about that stage.

I liked that stage a lot actually. I just wish it had been dry when I shot it so I didn't have to take it so easy on the stage. It was fun though.

You guys had an easy time of that swinger on the ammo can stage. They didn't pull the backing target like they were supposed to. We had to shoot it right and the presentation was about 5 times as fast. :angry2:

JT

Also, you didn't have to squad with me, but I still got to kibitz ya a bit. :)

Rob,

It isn't really an issue of movement. You start in the middle, and go all the way to each side. The movement distance is the same either way you do it.

Your instinct was right. It is faster just to start shooting. You get shooting right away on center targets as you move out, and then when you come back you have more space to reload before you hit targets to shoot again.

I shot it the slightly slower way (run to one side then just blast all of them) because it is 10 times easier to execute. I dont have to remember to skip certain targets on the way back or whatever. Just pick an engagement order, keep moving, and stuff mags when neccecary.

I usually prefer to move out on the draw. Staying there...whatever your draw time is, that is time wasted (unless you can draw and get the shot off before your first step...rare). Coming back, you may have the setup that will burn some time, but you also may be able to engage a target during that setup time.

• 3 weeks later...

Been awhile since my last update I see…..

IPSC Nationals is coming up soon… and I must say I am pumped. I have been busy with training obligations last week and this week.. But after that I should be able to do quite a bit of practice. I am going to back off at work a little bit over the next month, so I have plenty of time to be ready for IPSC and USPSA nationals.

I will be heading off to IPSC Nats with a new gun (still and Elite 2)…. And shooting USPSA nationals with the same match gun I have used for a long time.

• 2 weeks later...