Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger

Ben Stoeger

I would like to see the 50 round assessment if you would post it.

thanks,

George

My shooting has lapsed for a few months with work, etc. and as I get back to practicing I am finding one longer session is better than 2 or 3 shorter sessions for me.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok.... A couple things rattling around in my brain lately.

First, I have long subscribed to the idea that practice should be frequent, but short in duration. After spending so much time on a shooting range lately, but in big chunks I am starting to change my thoughts on this.

I see people make big strides in a day of instruction.. I feel myself learning more if I spend more time on the range... But the smaller practice sessions don't feel as helpful these days. I have recently put together a list of things to work on in dryfire, but it takes more than an hour of hard practice to hit all the topics... that is kind of a long time for dryfire.

Any thoughts on length of practice or whatever?

The second thing I have rattling around is a 50 round skill assessment for USPSA shooters. Its kind of like the IDPA classifier, but it only requires one target. Good idea to track shooting ability? I will post it if anyone is interested.

I have a few people interested including me!

Ben I would love to use you skills assessment worksheet, I have always been amazed at your ability to analytically break down each individual piece of each movement, any tips on how to increase a higher level of awareness for reflection?

I had a really good practice session today... the best all year. I am learning about how to tune up my grip for more accuracy.

I was using a sheet of 2 inch dots and shooting at about 10 yards. Never ceases to amaze me that I learn something EVERY time I work on accuracy.

Also... who runs slide glide on their guns? Is this recoil reduction BS or whats the deal with that?

In my experience I could not tell a difference in recoil with slide glide. Also I can't think of how it would make sense that slide glide would reduce recoil. The energy in the slide has to go somewhere and it's not going to magically disappear into the pinkish gooey substance.

I run it. I don't "feel" anything different except when I put too much on the slide rail or when it is cold outside. When I put too much on or when it is cold it will slow the slide down thus effecting flip. I imagine that it is reducing flip in warm weather too just not as noticeable? The Standard seems to work well to about 30 degrees for me. It will work fine for me below 30 if my gun is relatively clean, if it is major dirty I can have problems if I put on too much. I use it mainly because I don't notice the wear as much when using it. It is most definitely cheap enough to give a try though.

I had a really good practice session today... the best all year. I am learning about how to tune up my grip for more accuracy.

I was using a sheet of 2 inch dots and shooting at about 10 yards. Never ceases to amaze me that I learn something EVERY time I work on accuracy.

Also... who runs slide glide on their guns? Is this recoil reduction BS or whats the deal with that?

• 2 weeks later...

First match of the year.

I changed up my match gear and was able to shoot faster ... and I feel like my skill level is at a place it has never been due to the training I have done. More on all this when I have time to post more.

The first match of the 2011 season is on the books, and it was very encouraging.

I have been struggling the past couple years with always feeling a little tense in matches. My gun feels like it is recoiling a bit more than in practice. I have always attributed this to match stress, but it turns out it was my match gun!

I was testing my guns a couple weeks ago, and my match gun felt like a cannon. All my other guns felt fine. So, I used some “slide glide” to grease the slide. The "heavy" slide glide seriously made a difference. Slide is much slower and tamer now.

In any event, my gun no longer feels like it recoils more on match day. Awesome!

I also got the feeling that my match trigger was way heavier than my practice gun. I swapped some parts around and fixed that as well.

No more trigger freeze or blown shots at distant targets. Yay!

Anyway, after all the training I have done the past few months, it felt good to have my skills in a place where they have never been. There were some nearly 20 yard head shots taken through a low barrel while crouching. I was able to make these shots and called the hits off the sights, no problem. There was some high speed shooting, and I shot faster than I ever have before. You can see in the video, 3 targets, two yards apart, 7 yards distant, dealt with in less than 2 seconds from the holster. Pretty good to pull that off on match day I think.

All in all it was a great match for me, and I feel energized to shoot some major matches this year.

Ben can you share you skills test results? I would like use it like a classification to try to evaluate trouble areas by percentage!

That thread got moved to the "skills" section.

I can tell you that I think 35 seconds is a decent score for me in production. I dont have a breakdown by string for you right now, I can get one next time I shoot it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been really working on target transitions lately…

Here is a practice video:

Close up targets with wide transitions are VERY tough to collect all the points on. If I every figure this out, I will let you know.

Who all is ready for area 5? I am feeling pretty pumped!

I had no idea you were so far up in Wisconsin... I was gonna mention a couple of Illinois matches this weekend, but nevermind.

So whats on the agenda for your last week of training leading up to A5, after having read the posted stage diagrams?

Area 5 should be awesome. Any info on the WI Section match? I sent in my application but it looks like there aren't alot of registered shooters.

I am registered... we ought to squad together!

As far as what the deal is with the match.. I guess you know what I know. I heard people are slow to sign up for whatever reason. I am sure it will come off in the end, even if it takes awhile.