Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger

Ben Stoeger

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is interesting to think about different loads guys.

I went out and shot some today.. and those thoughts were in the back of my mind.

Anyway, we will see what happens this weekend. It will be my first match since last October! Now that is a long time between matches. There will be lots of partial targets I can go fast on, so thats a good thing. We will see what happens.

I watched a guy shoot a Glock sub-compact the other day. At first I thought that maybe he was just showing up with his "everyday" gun. After talking with him, he does it as a "tune up" for bigger matches. He shot very well. A little different than switching loads but kind of the same idea.

I know most of the better Steel Challenge type shooters say that switching from minor loads to major loads makes little if any difference in their times. It may not be a good comparison since it is only one shot per plate, but thats what I've read.

The other thing may be a matter of skill level also, what is an insignificant time difference to a "B" shooter can be a huge difference when comparing two GM's. But I would think as long as you shoot some match loads before the match, you're body will sort things out pretty quickly.

Ok so me shooting that match didn’t happen. That’s ok though, still time for a local before Area 5 this year.

I have continually been pushing myself in practice, and I am starting to feel more and more comfortable now. I am going to be spending more time working this year… but I don’t think I will cut back on the shooting at all. I for sure don’t want to slack off on dry fire at all. I kinda felt myself neglecting dry fire a little bit last year. (dry fire seems pointless after you come home from shooting 300 rounds) I don’t want to slip on it this year at all.

Just effing around on the range yesterday I tried to do some fast draw hip shooting BS. I couldn’t quite get 4 shots off from the holster in under a second.. But if I practiced it I am sure I could. What the hell I must be bored.

Ok so me shooting that match didn’t happen. That’s ok though, still time for a local before Area 5 this year.

I have continually been pushing myself in practice, and I am starting to feel more and more comfortable now. I am going to be spending more time working this year… but I don’t think I will cut back on the shooting at all. I for sure don’t want to slack off on dry fire at all. I kinda felt myself neglecting dry fire a little bit last year. (dry fire seems pointless after you come home from shooting 300 rounds) I don’t want to slip on it this year at all.

Just effing around on the range yesterday I tried to do some fast draw hip shooting BS. I couldn’t quite get 4 shots off from the holster in under a second.. But if I practiced it I am sure I could. What the hell I must be bored.

we need your hip shooting videos

we need your hip shooting videos

Who delivers 10 times out of 10?

I shot some demo stages during a class this weekend.

I should have a local match in a few weeks.

Overall, I am happy. I felt snappy and comfortable shooting. For those curious, the loads were my atlanta arms stuff.

Thanks for putting on the class this past weekend. I really learned from the bill drill which you show at the end of the video. The "push" helped get me uncomfortable with the speed of things. When I stepped back up 5 minutes later and worked through another 5 mags of bill drill things improved even further. I'd describe my second run at the bill drills as feeling more at ease with pushing the speed and then having more ability to watch the sights. This allowed my mind to accept the speed and pick a better target spot. My hits further improved to 4 charlies and the 26 alphas.

Thanks Ben for the Push.

Jay

Jay,

You have all the skills and the tools to do anything you want in this game. Everyone learns to be accurate by shooting at a target without a timer. It seems logical to me to work at being faster by shooting with the timer and not worrying as much about the target... just by paying attention to what is happening.

Your friends there said something woke up inside you. I really hope thats true!

Later,

Ben

Thanks for putting on the class this past weekend. I really learned from the bill drill which you show at the end of the video. The "push" helped get me uncomfortable with the speed of things. When I stepped back up 5 minutes later and worked through another 5 mags of bill drill things improved even further. I'd describe my second run at the bill drills as feeling more at ease with pushing the speed and then having more ability to watch the sights. This allowed my mind to accept the speed and pick a better target spot. My hits further improved to 4 charlies and the 26 alphas.

Thanks Ben for the Push.

Jay

Loading ammo, shooting stuff… grinding it out.

I feel pretty well “warmed up” for the year. I am shooting about as well as I shot at my “peak” last year, so time to work on increasing my level of ability.

I really want to get the 100% on “Lazy man standards” this year, I shot it a ton last year and wasn’t able to do it, we will see what happens this year.

Also, I am working on top end shredding, so I want to increase my skill level on that.

Any of you freaks shoot “Lazy man standards”? Man that’s a bitch.

=)

I went out and practiced with Hooper today.

Things went pretty well. I did some 50 yard shooting, I mixed it up with some strong and weak hand shooting at that distance. I also worked head shots up closer.

There is really now much more to be done before the match Sunday. I am working 12 - 14 hour days up until then, so no more time for live fire. I will still dry fire on breaks. =)

Shot a match today.

I had 2 stages I would rate acceptable, 3 clunkers, and one disaster.

I did really amp up the aggression level though, I took the distant/tight shots quickly. I pushed hard on every stage, doing risky things. I shot pretty loose points and had some extra shots, but overall stage times were pretty good.

Edited by Ben Stoeger

Scoped out a new possible "home" range today. Did some practice with hooper.

Speaking of hooper, I got some footage of him on stage 2 last weekend.

At the end of the session, we tried to "melt down" my high round count Beretta.

All in all, it was a good day. I am running my gun pretty well. Coming into area 5 I am most concerned with Strong Hand, Weak Hand, and reloads.

Ben,

This is off topic but I will ask it anyone. Do you reload your own ammo. About how much does it cost per K. How much time per K?

Jason

Yes I reload, I am sponsored by black bullets international so it is VERY cheap. Including brass pickup and tumbling I am into it well under 4 hours per K.

Ever think about Bianchi?

This is out of this thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=107080&st=0

BJ just sent me a text saying that Larry Potterfield announced he was putting up $100,000 for the first person who broke 1900 with a Production gun.

The rules have some pretty tough trigger requirements, they don't really favor DA/SA.

Ever think about Bianchi?

This is out of this thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=107080&st=0

BJ just sent me a text saying that Larry Potterfield announced he was putting up $100,000 for the first person who broke 1900 with a Production gun.

The rules have some pretty tough trigger requirements, they don't really favor DA/SA.

I am a little bit unclear as to what exactly all the events are and what the rules are. I will have to do some checking.