Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger

Ben Stoeger

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I ran out of excuses and started the 15 Minute Dry Fire Program this morning. WOW - the program looked great to start with, but it is even better actually going thru it. I sure did not get bored and I can see how every part is going to help me.

5 reps and change what you are doing keeps it moving and I now have a goal of getting up to novice on those par times.

thanks again,

George

I went shooting today… or at least I tried. The hunting crowd is on the range in force, and that does annoy me. On the other hand, shooting is fun.

I worked on some simple stuff today. One target drills. I feel in much better shape with the fundamentals of shooting than I did a few weeks ago. I have really been pushing hard in dry fire, and I think that is helping. This time of year can be frustrating. In Wisconsin we have cold hands from this time of year on.. So… that does make it tough to shoot your absolute best. Oh well… training continues.

I did find a volunteer to get the dry fire program to HTML for us, so that should be posted over here soon. Yay.

Alrighty guys. Training is going well. I have been doing a lot of physical training the last two weeks. I am running a lot, eating less, and working out hard.

Also, I might be changing up my training loads a little bit. Right now I am running 147 grain loads with Solo 1000 as my practice load. My Atlanta arms match load is just a little bit stiffer. I might switch up my training load to 130grains to make my training ammo just a bit snappier. We will see. I just got my sample pack.

How many of you guys are on my dry fire program? I have been doing it daily and am seeing some good results.

I am on the 15 minute drill and it is great. Brought my shooting box into the house and ready to go to the next step. Besides the basic drills, which are good because 5 reps and move on, trying to get to the par times is enough to keep me going for quite some time. It is amazing how good I feel to hit the par time on a shooting drill !

Thanks for your hard work.

George

Training is going well.

I am on the new dry fire program right along with the rest of you guys. I am happy to move out of the realm of dry fire stages and focus more on short drills.

130 grain bullets worked just fine, but I think they still aren’t running quite hot enough.

Starting the 15minute routine tonight. I'll wait a week or so to reply with my experiences. :)

Switching from the G34 to the M&P has taken almost all of my gunhandling skills away from the subconscious, and made me actually think about them again. That sucks, and I need to spend some serious time with my new baby if I ever want to shoot it well.

Ben already knows this, but competitive shooting nearly killed my marriage, so I'm not going to be spending nearly as much time at the actual range. If I want to stay sharp or improve, I need to do it in dryfire. And I still want to spend the majority of each evening being the husband I should have been for years, so I can't spend much time doing it.

Ben, if you hadn't come up with this at the perfect time, I'd have had to think of something similar. Thanks for saving me the effort, and thinking of a lot of thing I didn't. :D :D :D

Edited by MemphisMechanic

How much solo are you running with your 130gr load Ben?

I tried both 3.8 and 4.0 grains. The 3.8 grain stuff (I suspect) makes PF just fine. The 4 grain stuff felt stiffer, and that was the point of the 130 grain bullets.

FYI Ben, I was at 130-131 pf with 3.8gr of solo out of my M&P 9L. When I bumped it up to 4.0gr I'm getting 134.5 pf. I am loading to 1.162" OAL....

One thing your program has instantly helped me with is split times. With my standard SA/DA I would come up against the trigger to simulate the shot and keep doing that. But doing what you have outlined " pull though the DA and then come forward a bit then pull through again) has really helped me take advantage of the short reset on my P226. Normally at a match I start the first target with rather slow follow ups, then increase later in the array. Last weekend fast splits were appearing right out of the gate.

I also love the "freestyle - reload - strong - reload - weak" exercise.

I have been diligently doing my dry fire these last few days. Snow is now on the ground and the temperature is hovering around 20 degrees up here… that makes it unpleasant to do a lot else.

I am 100% sure now that I will be changing my practice load to the snappier 130 grain bullets. Let me be clear about this, I am going to shoot matches with factory 147 stuff. If I trusted myself to reload match ammo, I would shoot matches with the 147 moly bullets with solo 1000 powder. It is a very soft load. Ah well.

What I have been spending the majority of my time on the last few weeks has been my physical training. I am now under 200lbs… and I hope to shed a few more un needed pounds.

Why shoot a different weight in practice? My guess would be something along the lines of the snappy load making it cake to track the front sight in recoil when you switch to 147s. No concerns about timing issues with the switch to the slower stuff?

The goal is to have the loads be the same, not different.

130 grain black bullets over 4.0 grains of solo 1000 feels very close to 147 grain Atlanta arms stuff.