Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger

Ben Stoeger

Last match of the season is over. I really shot poorly, but ehhh, whatever. I shot one of the stages ass backwards and did an extra load on another (whoops). I was trying out some goofy plans on stuff to see what worked and what didn’t.

On the upside, I feel like I am getting the grip down a little bit. I am certainly shooting faster on the distant targets.

Here is the video:

There were a few surprises today. My teammate Steve Z showed up and shot production. I enjoyed squadding with him. He shoots like a raped ape and is good at stage breakdown.

On another note, Hooper is starting to pick up some steam. He is getting out of the penalty on every stage phase and starting to hang hits on paper. He has GM speed, he just needs to aim.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last match of the season is over. I really shot poorly, but ehhh, whatever. I shot one of the stages ass backwards and did an extra load on another (whoops). I was trying out some goofy plans on stuff to see what worked and what didn’t.

On the upside, I feel like I am getting the grip down a little bit. I am certainly shooting faster on the distant targets.

Here is the video:

There were a few surprises today. My teammate Steve Z showed up and shot production. I enjoyed squadding with him. He shoots like a raped ape and is good at stage breakdown.

On another note, Hooper is starting to pick up some steam. He is getting out of the penalty on every stage phase and starting to hang hits on paper. He has GM speed, he just needs to aim.

Thanks Ben. It was good to shoot with you too. I have a lot to learn in this production division, but I'm confident good things will happen. Oh by the way, what Ben didn't mention is on the last stage of the match, he shot nuthin' but alpha's. Great shooting Ben. It was a good showing from you!

Here is the video:

Ben-

Which stage plan didn't you like? Was it Stage 3 the moving backwards one? I had a hell of a time deciding what to do on that one and ended up wasting a lot of time. I learned a lot from it, so I guess thats the main thing.

Ben-

Which stage plan didn't you like? Was it Stage 3 the moving backwards one? I had a hell of a time deciding what to do on that one and ended up wasting a lot of time. I learned a lot from it, so I guess thats the main thing.

Yes I predicted a 17 second stage shooting it in 3 positions (steel from the back) and a 19 second stage shooting it in 5 positions. Zerwas shot it in 3 positions, but he shot the back position second. I was curious to see what sort of strategy would yield what time. My predictions were pretty accurate. =)

I am trying to put together a 15 minute daily dryfire regimen that would be a good program for beginners and experienced shooters alike. I want it to be easy to setup (utilize only one target) but still encompass as many skills as possible.

Input is welcome.

Ok I have made some progress on the new dryfire program.

I have tested the 15 minute dryfire program a few days in a row now and tweaked it. It should be ready in a few more days.

It took me just about 15 minutes to work my way through it last night, and in that time I feel like I gave my gunhandling skills as good a workout as they have ever gotten. I get so many people that ask me what to do for a dryfire program, finally I will have something I can recommend. :cheers:

Ok I have made some progress on the new dryfire program.

I have tested the 15 minute dryfire program a few days in a row now and tweaked it. It should be ready in a few more days.

It took me just about 15 minutes to work my way through it last night, and in that time I feel like I gave my gunhandling skills as good a workout as they have ever gotten. I get so many people that ask me what to do for a dryfire program, finally I will have something I can recommend. :cheers:

Awesome idea and exactly what I've been looking for.

I might even be able to get through a 15m one... up to this point I just haven't been able to bring myself to do the dryfire thing. Hell, I'd probably be a GM by now if I did. :P

Ben, if you can work out a good 15m program, I'll give her a go and let you know what the results are. Perhaps we could all document where we are when we start and the progression.

Let me know if you want a couple of guys to do that for/with you.

JT

Thanks for the encouragement Ben,

Like you said, It's great to combine a bunch of dry fire drills because I think it helps simulate as much stress and thinking that you can in a dry fire session using tuxedos with movement and reloads and multiple targets, if you have the space and time. I have a little of both and I try to work on my weaknesses. It made me mad when I couldn't get 4 A's when I was backing away from those two tuxedo targets on stage 6 of the last Holmen match. If you can nail down some of those things in dry fire during the off season I think it will take me places I have not been to yet.

I also think tuxedos are a great Production practice target. Always focus on getting your points with well aimed shots, nail your reloads and hit the next one, Especially in dry fire where one can get way ahead of themselves with rushing sight pictures. This target makes you always stare down your front sight in the A- zone where it needs to be.

My favorite drill right now is drawing to two tuxedos from different start positions and then hitting your reload on the move to the next position where you engage two more tuxedos. I have 5 practice mags to run through so I go back and forth from box to box laterally until I'm out of mags, sometimes using the timer sometimes not.

Looking forward to seeing your dry fire practice drill, it will make the off season go faster.

Rob

Alright.. those of you that have the dryfire program in hand, get back to me so I can get this thing tweaked and posted.

I have also cooked up some more movement drills and longer drills that require only a folding chair, a 3x3 box, and 3 targets. That is getting tweaked as well.

:cheers:

Looking forward to seeing this program............Ben, did you incorporate any SHO on the move shots a poppers ?? :lol:

Ben,

When you have the new dry fire program down, could you pm me with all of the information.

Thanks!

Thank you for putting this together. I can see where a lot of thought went into this program to make it short, easy to put together, and still be useful. I have it printed and will start today.

thanks again,

George

Thank you for putting this together. I can see where a lot of thought went into this program to make it short, easy to put together, and still be useful. I have it printed and will start today.

thanks again,

George

+1

After taking a serious look at my time and finances available for shooting, this program seems optimal. I've tried a couple of other programs and would really like to have the time and money to be able to commit to one (ie; Mike Seeklander's Program) but realistically this one seems doable. 15- 30 minutes dryfire 3 to 5 times per week with one live fire or match per week is about what I can do at this time.

Thanks Ben. Looks like a great program. :cheers:

Edited by baerburtchell

Ok I am getting into this whole dryfire thing.

Here is a demo vid for the 15 minute program:

I am noticing that my shooting is starting to improve again. I spent much of my time the last few years working on long drills like classifiers and learning to flow through field courses. Time to get back to rocking 2-6 shot drills all day every day. =)