Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger

Ben Stoeger

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude I was looking forward to making the trip from Georgia again this year and shoot with you and the crew(and see family of course), but now you scheduled it on the same weekend as Area 6. What happened with August?

Sorry! We used to have it in April, just before the single stack classic as a bit of a warm up.

Working out and training is going pretty solid. God I can’t wait to get back outside and hit some live fire stuff.

Maybe Santa is going to bring me something cool… I got a bench press set a few days ago, and that is a nice new exercise for me to try.

Ben I saw this on the uspsa web sight and though of you.

If you are skilled with a pistol, rifle or any other firearm, you could win $100,000 in prizes on TV’s first marksmanship competition show. The History Channel and the producers of "The Ultimate Fighter" are looking for anyone with mind-blowing shooting skills and a big personality to take on exciting physical challenges with multiple guns and mystery projectile weapons. In each episode, contenders will face team and elimination challenges inspired by real events in history, from Wild West shootouts to modern-day sniper missions. Every challenge will reveal the weapons, technologies and tactics of a different era, while hi-speed cameras capture the skillful execution of each test. If you’re in good physical shape, have mastered a firearm and can adapt to new weapons and demanding physical situations, you could be America’s first “Top Shot.” APPLY TODAY! To apply, email TopShotCasting@gmail.com with your name, city/state, phone number, a recent photo of yourself and a brief explanation of why you should be on the show. Deadline to apply is January 18, 2010. For more information, visit www.pilgrimfilms.tv or call 818-728-3729 TODAY! * Applicants must be at least 21 years of age, a resident or citizen of the United States

Ben I saw this on the uspsa web sight and though of you.

If you are skilled with a pistol, rifle or any other firearm, you could win $100,000 in prizes on TV’s first marksmanship competition show. The History Channel and the producers of "The Ultimate Fighter" are looking for anyone with mind-blowing shooting skills and a big personality to take on exciting physical challenges with multiple guns and mystery projectile weapons. In each episode, contenders will face team and elimination challenges inspired by real events in history, from Wild West shootouts to modern-day sniper missions. Every challenge will reveal the weapons, technologies and tactics of a different era, while hi-speed cameras capture the skillful execution of each test. If you’re in good physical shape, have mastered a firearm and can adapt to new weapons and demanding physical situations, you could be America’s first “Top Shot.” APPLY TODAY! To apply, email TopShotCasting@gmail.com with your name, city/state, phone number, a recent photo of yourself and a brief explanation of why you should be on the show. Deadline to apply is January 18, 2010. For more information, visit www.pilgrimfilms.tv or call 818-728-3729 TODAY! * Applicants must be at least 21 years of age, a resident or citizen of the United States

Haha... sounds pretty fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I am making the most of the winter... making more of it than I did last year anyway. I have lost LOTS of weight.. and that is huge. :cheers: It will be a small help for my shooting, but still it will be a help.

It has been awhile since I posted here... and there isnt really much to report. I havent done any live fire at all... mostly I am just working out and playing video games. I am thinking mid feb. I should be back out on the range. Should be good.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a sad bit of news to share, The Wisconsin Section match has been cancelled. It wasn’t cancelled by me, but decisions I made certainly helped precipitate what happened.

I was looking forward to doing it but it isn’t going to happen now. =(

If you were planning on coming, I apologize.

Well well... its been awhile since I posted last.

I have been applying for jobs and taking written exams (thats a pain).

Working out has been going well, but I pushed things a bit too hard and am a little bit on the hurt side now. Thats alright though.

Looking over next years calendar.. It seems Area 5 is going to be the first match of the year. Yikes..nothing till June. Oh well, more time to practice.

Also... IPSC Nationals and USPSA Nationals are on opposite sides of the country less than 2 weeks apart. It is gonna be a bitch to make that work. ugggggg

• 3 weeks later...

Not a whole lot going on right now shooting wise.

Training has gone on pretty much uneventfully.

I have been hitting the dry fire.. .and hitting the working out…. I am waiting for the snow to break. =)

I did go out the other day and shoot some groups. I am noticing a LOT better gun control overall now. I am not really sure why that is… maybe stronger arms? I dunno.

• 3 weeks later...

Watching the Olympics is pretty cool. One thing that has really stuck out at me is how excited the medal winners get. I personally don’t get terribly excited at matches, and I am thinking that might be to my detriment. Maybe I gotta jack up the competitive intensity a few notches.

Watching the Olympics is pretty cool. One thing that has really stuck out at me is how excited the medal winners get. I personally don’t get terribly excited at matches, and I am thinking that might be to my detriment. Maybe I gotta jack up the competitive intensity a few notches.

Do you mean after they complete a run or event??? Or on the medal stand??

Flyin

Do you mean after they complete a run or event??? Or on the medal stand??

Flyin

Sure seems like both to me.

I agree that they get really excited but your typically looking at events with a couple runs. Can you imagine getting excited and jumping up and down every time you had a great run on a stage. The emotional rollercoaster would drain before you ever finished a bigger match. Maybe nationals if there were only 6 stages a day but I still don't think anyone would last mentally. Compare it to golf. Consistency over the entire tournament wins almost all of the time.

Another things is that after you have the run of your life, you just nailed the last stage and know you have just won but........your standing there with a loaded gun. :roflol: Can't exactly jump around or do backflips off the stage props :surprise:

I agree with you about jacking up the intensity a notch but it must be controlled. If you can find that place, that fine line right on the edge but still remain in control some amazing stuff can happen. Stuff that can't be repeated if you try it a 1000 times. I just don't think it will work for our sport if you take the intensity up too much. Throw in a memory stage or just a complicated stage. It would be just a matter of time before a crash and burn.

I think most would get pretty damn excited if they won Nationals or the World Shoot. One day when your up there you better be jumping up and down after winning Nationals, I would expect nothing less. Also I would bet most of these Olympic athletes don't get as excited for a smaller event.

Flyin

I am getting the shooting fever big time the last few days. There has been hardcore snow melt, and soon I will be back out rocking stuff hard 3-4 days a week.

I have spent more time shooting the 135pf 130 grain loads. I think this will be a much better practice load than what I had last year. It is just a bit stiffer than my match load, as opposed to being a touch too light.

Another thing happened over the winter. My gun seems to be staying up a bit higher during reloads. I am not really sure if that is good or not. Time will tell.

I had noticed that, like a lot of the (other? :D) big-name GMs - Sevigny, Vogel, etc - you were at chin-to-shoulder height on the load. Nothing like the first match to letcha know if it works or not.

I'm with you on match fever. Got it bad enough to (along with a HORRIBLE perforamce at our local match this weekend) *finally* motivate myself to start your 15-minute dryfire program, with some IDPA-adaptations thrown in. Haven't missed a day yet.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Time for a little update.

I have been doing quite a bit of practice lately, and I am working up some new drills. I should have them ready in the next few weeks.

I am taking a non shooting related vacation to California next week, so that should be fun. It will really help me recharge for the year.

Ok I got out and did some run and gun during the awesome weather today. Everything is running good. I am a little bit choppy right now due to how early it is in the season, but things are certainly looking up. I am drawing faster and shooting faster than I did at the same point in my training last year, so that’s a good sign.

Ok I got out and did some run and gun during the awesome weather today. Everything is running good. I am a little bit choppy right now due to how early it is in the season, but things are certainly looking up. I am drawing faster and shooting faster than I did at the same point in my training last year, so that's a good sign.

It looks like your index is right where it needs to be... I don't see any hesitation when the gun gets out there. Good luck this year Ben... we expect good things from you. See you at 5.

JT

I didnt get to shoot much the last week. Vacation has been fun, but not very productive. The only shooting I did was when I visted Taran while he was teaching models to shoot. Now that was pretty fun to watch.

Either way, I can't wait to get back home and start shooting stuff for real.

I am hitting the practice again with my new sight setup. I like the new sights just fine, and I am able to hit pretty good with them. The only thing holding me back from perfection today is trigger control and making sure I hit my grip when I draw and reload. Goddamn fundamentals.