Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger

Ben Stoeger

Just an opinion.

Look at the guns used by the Top 16 in production and Ben's is the glaring exception.

That's an interesting observation Shawn. You're right, there probably is no one who can shoot a Beretta better, but the question is, can Ben shoot better using a different gun? I reckon he probably could. It's not like he's sponsored by Beretta or owes them anything (could be wrong though).

Edited by blownhemi

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen many other shooters swap between guns over and over and it doesn't make them better or worse. All guns can be shot well by someone that knows how to work the fundementals.

Ben placed 3rd overall in last year's nationals using his Beretta against several different guns. he did that because he knows how to work the fundementals and he is very very good at what he does. This year it just wasn't his year. Sticking with a gun that works for you is what is important. Not whether you are sponsored by them. I have switched guns in the past because they didn't work for me. I settled on a XD and it worked for me very well for quite a while. I have since given that gun to my girl because she shoot it better than any other gun she has tried. Will it work for her forever? Maybe maybe not but she will stick with it until she wants to try something new. Revolver seems to work very well for me now. Go figure.

Edited by Shawn Knight

You won't like it, but I'll say it anyway. Get rid of the Beretta and get a better gun. :P

I can't seem to find a better one. I tend not to defer to internet experts on the subject.

I don't think you are seeing the big picture here. I had a better match than last year. I made no serious mistakes and shot pretty good points. How you place is just how you place. It takes many years to get really good at this game, and I have only been at uspsa for 4 years and one month now. You have to deal with the ups and downs of this game. Every match is different. You do the best you can and learn all you can. It is that simple.

Every so often someone in the peanut gallery reminds me of why I am one of the very few top shooters that post regularly on the boards.

Every so often someone in the peanut gallery reminds me of why I am one of the very few top shooters that post regularly on the boards.

:roflol:

Great match Ben..

I love your dedication to improving and appreciate you posting your progress..

really drives home the amount of work and dedication it takes.

:roflol::cheers::goof: This forum should be reminded of this more often..........

Great job Ben, you had some great competition. I'm amazed sometimes of your attitude and ability you look at your performance in an objective way. Your already preparing for next yr and accepted that you did better this yr performance wise even though you finished 10th(which is still awesome). I know you motivate alot of shooters who keep up with your website and post.

Keep up hard work. You could easily put all your post together and have a "How to become an Elite Uspsa Shooter" or "What is takes to make it to the Top of Uspsa"

book published. You wouldn't even have to really add that much too............

Great job Bud

Flyin

Edited by Flyin40

I had a better match than last year.[/b] I made no serious mistakes and shot pretty good points. How you place is just how you place.

This is a great insight. So many of us get caught up in "where did I place" that we forget about "how did I perform". To often we think they are the same thing.

I shoot with BJ Norris occasionally, and I've often wondered how he handles it mentally (especially with Steel Challenge), but I think this sums it up.

Edited by Al Capizzo

Ben, are you shooting 9mm brass that has been fired through a 9mm Major open gun?

AFAIK, IIRC, you were reloading on a square deal B, right?

Who knows?

That's why I like the Evolution Gun Works/Lee Undersize die.

I had a stainless extractor's hook shear off in a 96, once.

I went through Dave Olhasso and bought two new black/brunitoned extractors instead. Supposedly, the stainless looking extractors are a MIM part...according to internet rumors. :unsure:

Anywhooo....just throwing some ideas out there Ben. Maybe it helps... Maybe it doesn't...

Ben, are you shooting 9mm brass that has been fired through a 9mm Major open gun?

Who knows?

I went through Dave Olhasso and bought two new black/brunitoned extractors instead. Supposedly, the stainless looking extractors are a MIM part...according to internet rumors. :unsure:

Anywhooo....just throwing some ideas out there Ben. Maybe it helps... Maybe it doesn't...

I am shooting factory ammo (atlanta arms) in matches.

Who knows?

I wish the Lee undersized die would work in a Square B.......

Flyin

A-ha... :unsure: okay, thanks Ben .

I would tell you to check other things on your Beretta but I would feel a little bit out of my lane....like telling Lance Armstrong what gears he should go with on his bike when all I have is a Huffy.

Dumb question though, for you Ben.... do you ever run this Atlanta Arms ammo through a case gauge?

EDITED: replaced "gas" with "case". Oopss.. :rolleyes:

Edited by Chills1994

A-ha... :unsure: okay, thanks Ben .

I would tell you to check other things on your Beretta but I would feel a little bit out of my lane....like telling Lance Armstrong what gears he should go with on his bike when all I have is a Huffy.

Dumb question though, for you Ben.... do you ever run this Atlanta Arms ammo through a gas gauge?

Too save you all the trouble of worrying about it... something is wrong with that specific gun. The setup (ammo+gun+mag) has run perfectly for years, this year I have had 3 jams. I am certain it is the gun. Some part has worn out or something. I will get the gun fixed. Stuff wears out, it happens.

I know you have a hard on for Berettas, and that is cool. One of my 7 just isnt working right now.

Me? Have a hard on for Beretta's ?

Well, maybe if my hand didn't get sliced open every time I tried to shoot a Glock, I would have a hard on for Glocks.

FWIW, I will be shooting a single stack 1911 in .45 at our steel match tomorrow. Most likely a stainless STI Trojan. Knock on wood... I hope it runs. :surprise: Who knows? If I can get some hiccups worked out, I might just stick with single stack for the next 6 to 9 months. :unsure:

Edited by Chills1994

You won't like it, but I'll say it anyway. Get rid of the Beretta and get a better gun. :P

I can't seem to find a better one. I tend not to defer to internet experts on the subject.

I don't think you are seeing the big picture here. I had a better match than last year. I made no serious mistakes and shot pretty good points. How you place is just how you place. It takes many years to get really good at this game, and I have only been at uspsa for 4 years and one month now. You have to deal with the ups and downs of this game. Every match is different. You do the best you can and learn all you can. It is that simple.

I think maybe a better way to ask this question would have been over the last 4 years, what other type of firearms have you tried?

what where your like and dislikes compared to what you haven choosen to stick with?

I think the Beretta is a great gun, points great for me and I have no problem with the larger grip frame. I used to shoot an Elite 2 in IDPA, wish I still had that gun.

Keep posting, your dedication, practice and enthusiasm for sport is awesome!!

Ben....I hope you continue to rock the Beretta.....which I'm sure-since you have 7 of them-you have no intention of changing. I always think its cool to make such huge accomplishments like you have with a somewhat non standard or unpopular type gun for the sport. Berettas rock! Berettas are extremely reliable blasters when run with Beretta mags. I'm sure the problem you are experincing will be an easy fix.

Ben.....good job at Nationals in accomlishing the goals you set out to do. :cheers: Look forward to your break down and diagnosis for your coming year training plan.

Great finish Ben!, like many have said, you are a inspiration. I know I have read your posts. and then immediately gunned up, and headed to the range. Not many that were not there realize how impressive a couple of D's at that match is. I am usually a fairly clean shooter at biggger matches and I ended up with 4 Mikes and a NS. I look forward to your future postings. Dave