Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger

Ben Stoeger

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

which hand, both or one more than the other?

Just my left hand... I am gripping down so hard I actually removed skin from my right hand and I am wearing band aids.

How about looking your weak hand wrist to create the "pivot" point to control recoil. I am sure you know what I am talking about... I catch myself not locking my wrist to "help" keep it muzzle down. Someone gave me a Capitan crunch hand/gizmo thing I tend to work on, but I notice a marginal hand strength without forcing the muscles or getting over tense you know...

Sandro,

Go shoot a bill drill the way you always grip - thumbs forward, weak wrist locked down/out/forward. Now CRUSH with the weak hand, and try it again. See the difference in how much quicker the sights came back?

I shot a friend's Limited SVI last weekend. On the first shot at each position, the damn thing flipped like crazy. Hauling down on the weak hand pressure (which I am horribly lax about when shooting my 34 at 131PF) brought the gun back under control.

Most of us simply don't hold the gun as tight as we should. When I concentrate on shooting a stage with lots of grip pressure, I can shave nearly a tenth off my split on some closer targets because the sights are back so quickly. But it's still far from automatic.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Working on that grip a little bit.

Here is today’s match. I made a mess of a couple stages… and kind of had screwed up transitions on the close targets. My distance shooting was fast and accurate though. (I dropped 5 Cs total at the match)

I took it a little bit too easy on the classifier.. I kind of made my mind up I was going to shoot all As on it and just shot it at a pace that made that happen.

Overall, I am seeing some strides here. I am going to have to practice a lot to make my grip a little bit more natural.

One other thing… I had a side bet with Ronnie to prove to him that the fastest way to shoot a particular stage with a limited or open gun would be to shoot the Texas star on the move. After my match run I ran the stage again.

Suck it Ronnie

Nice video Ben I seriously thought about shooting the star stage the way you did in the reshoot. Very fun stages and Really enjoyed the match. Here I was all excited to have finally beat you on a stage time, and I find out you were trying to shoot it clean!! damn. After watching the video, I noticed you opted to shoot the hardcover popper on the move ,Why? It seemed like there was a definete pause in the action there. Would you do it that way again? You still beat my by .20 so I cant say my way was faster, just wondering. Other then that I got schooled on 6 out of 6 again.

Dave,

I liked the way I shot stage 1. I didn’t feel like I was taking a big risk shooting that partial mini popper on the move, but I did gain some advantages doing it that way. I got the advantage of a faster draw to an easier target, and I got to step off the start position right away and get moving to one corner. I needed to be back in the center of the shooting area to hit the popper, and that wasn't ideal because I had to move without shooting....…BUT, I had to reload anyway, so the movement got soaked up with the reload. The flipside of that coin is that I needed to hit the popper on the move on the way back. That added difficulty and risk didn’t bother me any so I shot it that way. Yes I thought it was faster and yes I would do it again.

I would consider shooting the stage differently with a limited gun though. With major scoring you can really rail on those targets, not having to worry about dropping a few Cs. You could transition straight to the targets on the right side of the stage from the left, without the pause to reload. It would be kind of lame to have to come back to the center without shooting. A good run on that stage with a proper limited gun would probably be in the 6.5 second range. I was over 8 with my production gun.

Edited by Ben Stoeger

I see you were shooting with the usual suspects on Sunday. Next time you see them tell Ronnie and Lori I said Hey and that I really enjoyed shooting the Sectional with them and hope to see them again next year.

Congrats on the Nats! Another solid performance, you should be proud. I am looking forward to watching your thread and seeing how your training goes over the next year preparing for the 2010 Nats.

Ok I got out and ripped up about 300 rds today. I worked primarily on closer easy targets, but I was shooting at top speed going for fast times. I experienced the same sort of trigger freeze and choppiness issues I had at the last match, but at the same time I am seeing some potential. I see the big disconnect between my practice in the past year and the matches I have been shooting. Things will be different for the Fall Classic in Milan this year.

One other thing… I had a side bet with Ronnie to prove to him that the fastest way to shoot a particular stage with a limited or open gun would be to shoot the Texas star on the move. After my match run I ran the stage again.

Suck it Ronnie

You fall down less while shooting on the move too. :roflol:

(I liked your choice, and reasoning, on Stage 1.)

I am leaving for Ohio for the Section match and then the IPSC nationals. I am expecting to try out bearing down on my grip and just plain shooting faster.

After that, I am going to lay out my training program for the next year. When I shoot the Fall Classic in Milan at the end of October, I am going to tweak that plan.

Anyway, the last few days I have been on the range , shooting about 300 rounds a session. My grip feels so odd. I am shooting silly fast and accurate on mid to long range targets, and things are starting to flow better up close. I am still falling victim to trigger freeze and things like that now… so that is annoying. I am just going to have to deal the best I can this weekend.

Just to give an idea of the level of speed increase I am seeing with better recoil control, I was consistently shooting .16-.19 splits on 15 yard targets. I could call the shots easily. Due to excess tension I am giving up some time on the transitions, but once I get that smoothed out… its gonna be good. (If I ever get it worked out that is)

It's hard to get rid of the trigger freeze as you bring the tension up on the strong hand... keep us informed on your progress and I'll see you in Milan.

JT

You have a crappy habit of half reading threads. :roflol: The grip tension is getting applied to my left hand. I am making no effort to apply more tension to my left.

It's hard to get rid of the trigger freeze as you bring the tension up on the strong hand... keep us informed on your progress and I'll see you in Milan.

JT

You have a crappy habit of half reading threads. :roflol: The grip tension is getting applied to my left hand. I am making no effort to apply more tension to my left.

And you have two lefts? :rolleyes:

Seriously- what made you consider changing your grip to a tighter weak hand grip?

JT

Keep conscious of it though, if you are getting trigger freezes where you were not before, I would bet your pressure is sneaking up on your strong hand too.

I do have a tendency to skim posts. :unsure:

Ben-

Have you considered or tried the captains of crush and IMTUG grippers? Sounds like something that could enhance your new grip even more.

Ron Avery did an article about them in front sight, probably 4-5 issues ago. I really like them and added them to my workout after I read that article.

Back in from the nationals… Here is the video:

And of course the “superman” by itself.:

If you are wondering what all the yelling was about, I shot those poppers on the way up strong hand only on the run. =)

I was on a really fun squad.. Good shooters and plenty of laughs. I didn’t shoot that well but I had a good time.