Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger

Ben Stoeger

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been doing dry fire until my hands bleed the last few days and working on hoser drills in live fire. My neglect of high speed shooting up to this point has been entirely intentional. I am pretty sure that nationals is going to get decided on points, and that is the only match I want to do well at. At the same time, I don’t want to give up anything a little bit of practice can fix.

On another note, I read in Front Sight that I have a bit of a scoop draw. That is untrue. Doing a scoop draw is a good way to end up picking your gun back up out of the berm. Don’t try it at home. Actually… only try it at home, with your gun unloaded.

I have been doing dry fire until my hands bleed the last few days and working on hoser drills in live fire. My neglect of high speed shooting up to this point has been entirely intentional. I am pretty sure that nationals is going to get decided on points, and that is the only match I want to do well at. At the same time, I don’t want to give up anything a little bit of practice can fix.

On another note, I read in Front Sight that I have a bit of a scoop draw. That is untrue. Doing a scoop draw is a good way to end up picking your gun back up out of the berm. Don’t try it at home. Actually… only try it at home, with your gun unloaded.

You do not scoop, I don't know where they got that from.

I shot about 500 rds today… just railing on 7-15 yard stuff.. Getting a good feel for the gun.

This was my FIRST run of the day:

Notice it was kinda choppy… Even so, it is faster than I was shooting on similar target arrangements at the IL sectional. Just a few days of high speed shooting has given me a much better feel for the gun. I think I remember reading in Brian’s book that he shoots a couple days worth of 300 rds a day to get ready for a match. (at least he did when he was shooting). That seems to reflect the last couple days of my shooting. A few hundred rounds gets you in tune with how your gun recoils and such.

I am trying to get that smoothed out a little bit more before the big show next week. In any event, I need to trust my training. I decided to work on insane accuracy stuff all year, and I have little doubt that will serve me very well at USPSA nationals and then a couple weeks later at IPSC nationals.

Another day… some more practice.

I shot some field course practice with a big emphasis on shooting while moving. I am expecting partial targets for nationals so I set some of those up. I shot a bunch of different stage plans and had a good time with my shooting.

I am also doing about 2 hours a day of dry fire. I want my gun handling to be super polished for nationals. I am working on minutia like drawing around a barricade and stuff like that.

The only other thing on my mind is doing a training camp in the spring. Maybe go someplace for a week or so and bring 10k rounds. It would be nice to be in a different environment where I don’t have to worry about anything but shooting.

Watching Phil Strader rock “Melody Line” into the low 5s at area 3 and later seeing that Matt Mink did the same thing inspired me to try and improve my shooting on that classifier. When I ran it earlier in the year I was consistently in the low 6s .

Here is that video:

Today I loaded up my match gun with stiff 115 grain loads to try and screw up my timing. It worked… my first run I threw 2 misses. After switching to my match 147 grain loads and working it a bit, I was able to put up a 4.77 with a few Cs. Video below. The first run is my cold run with different loads.

Experimenting with different loads and recoil springs has been good for me. I can shoot pretty much the same with any load or recoil spring, but I need some time to adjust to them. I certainly prefer light springs with heavy bullets.

How have you like the heavier hammer spring on your practice gun Ben? After I heard you talk about it here I decided to put the stock 21# hammer spring back in my Sig for a while. It took a day or so but I got used to it again pretty quickly. I do think it's a bit better for practicing trigger control.

Ben, you should do very well at the nats based on your shear determination to get better and practice alone. Your practice regiment and "keep your nose to the grind stone" attitude is very good and will be rewarded accordingly.

I wish you the best at the nats. I won't say good luck, as luck has nothing to do with it. National titles are earned with a lot of effort and hard work. Not gained by chance or luck.

Ben, you should do very well at the nats based on your shear determination to get better and practice alone. Your practice regiment and "keep your nose to the grind stone" attitude is very good and will be rewarded accordingly.

I wish you the best at the nats. I won't say good luck, as luck has nothing to do with it. National titles are earned with a lot of effort and hard work. Not gained by chance or luck.

+1 :cheers:

Alrighty guys... Time for an update.

The match is going along smoothly. Right now, I think Mink, Bob, and Phil are pretty much tied up. There are prolly 8 guys within 50 pts of first place, so it is still anyones match.

Personally, I have been shooting okay. I am hitting everything... only 1 D so far. I did have a costly jam on one stage. I have had a few stages that required that you hit exactly the right spot in order to be able to shoot, and I am not doing that very well. Slow times are due to poor fielding of those tight positions. Something I will have to practice.

I am having fun... and I will try to finish this match out strong.

This was funny:

Here is the match video for me:

Overall, I did what I set out to do a year ago. I eliminated the penalties. Despite some iffy swingers and a few tight partials, I was able to avoid the disaster factor for this match.

I had a couple jams that hurt me in the overall standings. I am going to be ditching that gun and using a new Elite 2 until that other one gets figured out.

This match was obviously a different deal than last year. It was a position match. Last year was an accuracy match.

I have a new dry fire program designed, and I start tomorrow. Should be fun.

You won't like it, but I'll say it anyway. Get rid of the Beretta and get a better gun. :P

Seeing you're already used to DA/SA I'd go the CZ SP01. You've done pretty well with it to this point but it's time to vote the Beretta off the island. :)

Nice shooting on the vid, where the rest?