Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Tap CHAMPIONSHIP 2009

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wish we could have had a big delay and have to wait to shoot - It would have given me a chance to run to the car and warm up!!!! I thought the match went really well given the weather and what difficulties the wind made to put on a major match - the staff at DT could not have done a better job.

I wanted to say what a pleasure it was to shoot with squad 22 and all the hard work and support they gave to each other!! O yea thanks to the KG team for helping me out!!

I agree with Kevin. The weather is something noone could control. Man up. I enjoyed the match. Backups happen at most matches. The guys of DT did a wonderful job!

Dont let it get you down guys! Great match! I sent thank yous to all the sponsers. That is what the shooting sports need is people to back it.

I ROd the DTC again this year, and let me tell you that Friday was one of the most miserable days I can ever remember - at least Saturday was dry, though bitterly cold. As challenging as it was for the ROs and staff to be out there all day, I can't even imagine trying to shoot a match in those conditions. To the shooters who stuck it out and finished this match, my hat is off to you. :bow: The only saving grace was that despite the conditions, both shooters and staff alike were still smiling, having a good time and trying to make the best of rotten weather. That, along with getting to see old friends and meet new people, and being a part of the premier match in the US will keep me coming back year after year. Robert has once again outdone himself, I know I say that every year but he just keeps raising the bar. Congrats to all the winners, and to everyone else as well - we should all go post on the "Hell, I Was There!" thread now. See y'all next year! :cheers:

Zerwas

Are trying to justify why you go beat by a girl? :)

Oh no, especially from THAT lady, especially under the conditions that she shot.

I just suck.

This is just not true - Steve shot a great match with some really fast times - it was unfortunate that his gun puked on him on a couple of runs otherwise he would have been much higher in the results. Go get um Steve!!!

HA! Thanks brother! I'll do my best to try and not maintain my pistol next time.....I bet it'll run better!

Was really good to meet you!

I'm sure I'll see ya again.

I ROd the DTC again this year, and let me tell you that Friday was one of the most miserable days I can ever remember - at least Saturday was dry, though bitterly cold. As challenging as it was for the ROs and staff to be out there all day, I can't even imagine trying to shoot a match in those conditions. To the shooters who stuck it out and finished this match, my hat is off to you. :bow: The only saving grace was that despite the conditions, both shooters and staff alike were still smiling, having a good time and trying to make the best of rotten weather. That, along with getting to see old friends and meet new people, and being a part of the premier match in the US will keep me coming back year after year. Robert has once again outdone himself, I know I say that every year but he just keeps raising the bar. Congrats to all the winners, and to everyone else as well - we should all go post on the "Hell, I Was There!" thread now. See y'all next year! :cheers:

Thanks again to all the RO's and staff. Yes Friday was miserable and some of our scores reflected, but hey, what are you gonna do? The Staff was smiling and joking which made it as fun as it could be. Thank to all that worked it. You all were awesome!

Mike

<_< OK its official The RO just said that Friday was harder to shoot than on Saturday.

My wife has a 4 ft 2X4 to hit me with if I decide to shoot two major matches over three days in bad weather again.

Did anyone place ahead of Jakob D that shot on Friday? The Jr deserver's some recognition

I think both days were equally hard - I was there for both days - Friday had wet and cold and saturday had bitter cold and wild wind. Some of the shooters from Friday won and some from Saturday, Thursday - so all days were represented in the results.

Zerwas

Are trying to justify why you go beat by a girl? :)

Oh no, especially from THAT lady, especially under the conditions that she shot.

I just suck.

This is just not true - Steve shot a great match with some really fast times - it was unfortunate that his gun puked on him on a couple of runs otherwise he would have been much higher in the results. Go get um Steve!!!

HA! Thanks brother! I'll do my best to try and not maintain my pistol next time.....I bet it'll run better!

Was really good to meet you!

I'm sure I'll see ya again.

Waitaminute here.... didn't I trade ya an AFTEC extractor several weeks ago?? :roflol: Nice meetin' you in person!!!

This was my first DTC and also my first major USPSA match to RO. Baptism by fire on both counts!! Here is my story:

Got there on Wednesday night and went and found the range, of course after driving right by it as the sun was setting. Left the rain in Dallas, or so I thought. Got to the range at about 7:30 on Thursday morning and it was about 50 with a light mist/fog. Shot stage 1 pretty good, had lots of A's, but felt slow (and it was). Then shot Stage 13 with the tether (see good videos from one of the other competitors here -

). Had a Mike and knocked one of the tennis balls off, and then fumbled my reload. Lost 20 points and time on 2nd stage of the day.

Shot the rest of the stages pretty much like the first, lots of A's but my times were just average, nothing to write home about. Caught a NS on one stage, but avoided the Mikes for the rest of the day. I was half way through stage 4 or 5 and noticed the big red thing on the end of the slide was missing!!! So I had to make a repair and install some new fiber optic in the front sight, must have caught it on a port. After lunch the sun had come out and we were actually able to enjoy some really nice weather for the afternoon. Finished the match about 3:30.

I really enjoyed the shoot house (stage 12), the targets were painted with fluorescent paint and they were lit with black light. I also liked stage 11 with the magazines in the skull, quick fun stage. A great match in great weather. BTW, thanks to Rhonda and Dave and Jim for RO’ing our squad in the morning, an added bonus.

Got up Friday morning at 6am and the temp was 56, which of course was the projected high for the day. Got to the range about 7:45 and headed to my stage - RO on stage 2 with the teeter totters. First squad was ok, but the wind had started to pick up. Then it started drizzling, so out came the bags. Well, the wind also picked up out of the north, and our bags ended up in Houston. And of course because our targets were now wet, the tape wouldn't stick at all.

We must have replaced targets about every 10 competitors, I sure was glad the squads were small on Friday. Then about 10:45 it started really raining, so we stopped for lunch. Of course now we had targets with no bags and no tape, so we replaced them again, in the mud, red slippery, caked on mud. I was warm enough doing the RO thing, but I sure did feel bad for the competitors, the conditions were beyond suck. After the rain stopped, it got colder and the wind picked up more, so for the rest of the afternoon we saw mixed snow, sleet, and drizzle. Fortunately it wasn't enough to give us more grief for taping the targets.

I got to run Travis Tomasie, Blake Miguez, Dimac and the other Friday super squad through my stage. That was really cool to see them still have fantastic times in absolute crappy conditions. Only had one person wipe out on the planks, but no DQ's on our stage. Left the range about 4:45 with Lee, Ken and Nick, and we headed straight for Academy. Of course, they had almost NO winter gear left. Funny thing though, there were about 10-15 other shooters there trying to buy the nonexistent gear as well.

Got up Saturday morning and the temperature was about 26, with a 30mph north wind which put the wind chill in the middle teens. Bundled up and headed to the range. I was wearing thermal pants, blue jeans, rain pants, thermal shirt, turtle neck, sweatshirt, jacket, heavy jacket, rain parka, and gloves. I was warm, but hey, I didn't have to shoot, so I was fine. So now we had unbelievable cold, but hey, at least it was a dry cold!!

It was hard to recognize anyone because of all of the winter gear, but the team from Jamaica was certainly visible, they were all decked out in their green, yellow, and red colors. I had a good person to work with, so were able to run the big squads (17-20 people) through our stage in about 45 minutes. Saw some really good shooting and the footing was better than the previous day, so the times were starting to drop to around 20 secs on the stage. The sun came out briefly midmorning, but it was still below freezing till early afternoon.

Due to some issues with a couple of later stages, we ran the Sat/Sun super squad through our stage at about 6:15. This squad had Dave Re, Scott Stockton, and a host of other good shooters. Overall, other than being cold, it sure was better than Friday. We had a couple of people crash into barrels moving off the planks, but fortunately no DQ's, even though several went completely spread eagle down on the ground. We ran 9 squads through our stage and left the range about 7:15.

Sunday was cold as well, but the sun was up and by mid morning, I was able to shed most of my cold weather gear. We only had 4 squads to run in the morning so we were done just after noon.

I only had one incident where a shooter wanted to run the stage a completely different way. I got trapped by a wall and he ended uprange of me about 10 yards engaging targets off to the side of me. Fortunately he was engaging into the side berm, but it was quite rattling to say the least. Took me about 5 more shooters before I was calm again.

They did the results and prize table till about 4pm. There were enough prizes so that everyone got something, and man was there a lot of stuff. You got your name called and you got to pick a bucket with about $100 worth of stuff. It was really a great match and Robert did a fantastic job compensating the RO staff, I will definitely offer to RO again in the future.

I figured out that I averaged walking ~40yds for every shooter, and 300+ shooters I walked about 12,000 yards. I had fun, but I wish I had shot better. Oh yeah, the results - I finished 61st out of 131 in Limited, 60% of Travis Tomasie's score. I think I played the game too conservatively as my times ended up pretty average. Oh well, live, learn, and move on to the next target. Smile

Did anyone place ahead of Jakob D that shot on Friday? The Jr deserver's some recognition

I count at least 3 (Lee, Adam, and Alex)... ;) But, still give props... The guys that beat him that shot on Friday have a lot more experience at this stuff ;)

:cheers: I just want to say hats off to Robert and all his staff. Double Tap was better than I could have ever imagined. This was my first opportunity to RO at a Major Match and even with all the weather issues it rocked. I wanna say thank you to Jerry (CRO) and Tom (RO) assisting on Stage three. You guys made this very pleasant. I also want to thank all the competitors. I did not experience a bad competitor in the bunch. Robert it was such a blast that I would be more than interested in assisting again next year. I got to see some old friends and make a whole bunch of new ones. Have a great year and hopefully our paths will cross again before next Double Tap. Shoot Straight - Shoot Fast and most of all Shoot SAFE. Congratulations to everyone. Mark

Looks like there are a few missing from that list Dave...;)

Most notably to me were Dillon Precision, Larue Tactical and Dawson Precision... I'm sure there were others...

And MidwayUSA; sure had a lot of those SC clone bags....

I was freezing my ass off in the trailer doing the scores with Lee N., we had a hell of time reading some of them(wet) and finding others, over 4100 score sheets were processed. We apologize to those who were missing scores, we did the best we could, still our error rate was .012%. We will do better next year.

I sure enjoyed seeing some old friends and making new ones. I am hoping next year Robert will introduce the Stage Score system. Then I won't have to go over the berms looking for score sheets. :o

It was a great match, congrats to the winners, and all those who stuck it out!

I do think a patch regarding this match is in order, someone take charge and put this together, I'll buy 2!

Yabba dabba 2010!

:cheers: I do wish I had been at Double Tap on Sunday to see Dave XRe get his trophy. Nice :cheers:

Heh heh... You also missed the "discussion" between Menzik and Porter as to whether I actually got that trophy :lol: Robert was lost on his sheet as far as the trophies went, and didn't realize he was at "HOA Open" (HOA in each division gets one of Steve's trophies, as does the HOA Match guy).

I've been lusting after one of Steve's trophies since '06, so I was obviously siding with Steve in the discussion :lol:

Now if we could convince Robert on how my name is pronounced... :lol: :lol: :cheers:

Now if we could convince Robert on how my name is pronounced... :lol: :lol: :cheers:

Good luck with that!! Porter is an absolute Rain Man genius when it comes to making fun stages and props.... but hell, he's still trying to say Sevigny right!! :roflol::roflol::goof:

My Apologies, Dave RAY and I got Sevigny's name right after he sent me an e-mail spelling it Phonetically. :P

and I was just messing with you Dave I knew you got the Wood this year, Good Acting Huh!

Edited by scorch

the kind that comes from TREES, I should have Know this was coming...... would Happen!

Also we found a Chrome Caspian Mag at the Range if you can ID it we will send it to you.

Edited by scorch

My Apologies, Dave RAY and I got Sevigny's name right after he sent me an e-mail spelling it Phonetically. :P

:lol:

and I was just messing with you Dave I knew you got the Wood this year, Good Acting Huh!

Don't ever do that again :angry2::lol::roflol::cheers:

the kind that comes from TREES, I should have Know this was coming...... would Happen!

Also we found a Chrome Caspian Mag at the Range if you can ID it we will send it to you.

If you can check with James Smith or John Aull from squad 20, one of them lost a Caspian mag. They were shooting Open...

Edited by Rocket35

scorch> My buddy on squad 15 lost a chrome .40 mag with a blue base pad and grams follower and spring. This is a smooth side mag for an EAA Witness limited, but I believe the Caspian mags are the same thing. Hopefully the one you found is it because he was pretty bummed out when he couldnt find it.