HEAVY lead in 40

HSMITH

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I understand were Howard is coming from on the time issue of time. I however don't mind cleaning my dies every 1-2k rounds and my gun is not very dirty using the loads I have been using.

The reason I shoot lead is i'm CHEEP!!!!!!! I will most likely shoot jacketed in the larger matches this year if some testing of other powders doesn't pan out for the smoke factor.

Ok here is a question. lets say you knew someone with bullet plating equipment. Could you have these plated and then they would not smoke or lead your barrel? Would they need to be sized smaller first? I don't know what size these are from S&S. I remember talks about plated bullets needing to be larger than jacketed to work right in some guns. Any ideas?

We worked on possibly getting a Pin bullet made by Berrys back in the 90s......We would have had to put in a 100K order on a bullet sight unseen to get the molds made.......Who knows if they would even work....LOL

I shoot lead for practice, but for anything that matters I agree wholeheartedly with Howard. Jacketed works, and works well.......

DougC

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I've loaded up some of these 220gr lead bullets at 1.22 OAL and they won't case gauge. They almost go, but stop just shy of fitting all the way down. I have the EGW u die, Redding Comp. seating die and lee FCD. When I switch back to the 200 gr. zero's they check just fine. Any ideas? They will fit the chamber of my 6 inch fat free, but not my sight tracker.

Edited by Fireant

• 1 year later...

Roger, I did go away from them, partly smoke and partly not being willing to perform any maintenance on my dies and only minimal maintenance on my gun. I am not willing to take the time to clean my dies, and I really don't want to clean my gun more than every 3000 rounds or so. Time is the one thing I can't really get any more of. I really like the way they shot, if someone had a 220 CMJ/JHP I would be ALL OVER IT. For the guys willing to take the time to clean their dies and guns the 220 S&S bullet rocks.

Bulletsworks.net has 220 plated round for sale

Edited by Roy Hess

International Clays is a bit slower burning.. between Clays and Universal Clays... therefore likely a bit "safer" with heavy bullets.

I currently use a self cast 185 gr Long round nose.. with my alloy, they are casting a bit heavier in the 188-190 range. I have a 200 gr mold on order and suspect with my alloy will cast in the 205 range. I have used the Bear creek 140's for a long time shooting minor using Ramshot competition, usually 3.8 - 4 gr. Nice soft, accurate load in my 610 but warm enough to work the slide on my Para P16 and Sig 229 with a 13 # Recoil spring installed. I too tried the X-treme plated 22's and was getting keyholes.. they just never did very well for me. As I recall, I was loading them with Universal.

This thread is getting me excited. My 200gr TC mold is in production and was intended for my 2011 but thinking I might want to try in in my G35/24. The accepted 1.2 OAL is the only thing that concerns me. If I recall correctly, the Glock mag will take up to 1.16? I would think the .040 shorter might not be that much of a factor?

Anyone doing 200 or 220 in a Glock?

And I load BE Major...I'm old school, not to mention that I have almost 16# of the stuff.

Edited by kamikaze1a

I load S&S Casting 220-grain slugs to 1.15 OAL for a Glock 24 and 35 using Solo 1000. This is my son's bowling pin load. The loads run fine, but aren't ideal - I've found it necessary to use a Lee FCD to size the case... the 220-grainers tend to create a bulge when loaded to this OAL. I believe the bullet is so deep in the case that the lower portion is ending up where the case web thickens, and expanding the cases more at that point. But there are no pressure signs and the load shoots well...

This thread is getting me excited. My 200gr TC mold is in production and was intended for my 2011 but thinking I might want to try in in my G35/24. The accepted 1.2 OAL is the only thing that concerns me. If I recall correctly, the Glock mag will take up to 1.16? I would think the .040 shorter might not be that much of a factor?

And I load BE Major...I'm old school, not to mention that I have almost 16# of the stuff.

I blew up a (nonGlock) gun loading the old 175 PF Clays recipe for a 200 grainer, which called for a OAL of 1.200, at the SAAMI spec OAL of 1.135. Granted that's .065, not .040, but still, I personally wouldn't go there, especially with a bullet that is likely .020 or even longer than the 200 grainer already, and especially with a very fast powder like Clays, lower PF or not.

You got ranges and action pistol on the Big Island? I've shot on Maui, and have seen the range on Oahu. Didn't know there was anything out your way...

I am waiting on the same mould but I have a pair of Lyman 200 gr TC moulds that I have been using for heavy bullet sin my 10mm's. I once tried some in .40 loaded long and shot them in my G24 with a KKM barrel. They felt strange but shot OK, never did anymore than try them. The Lyman mould has two lube grooves and to load them long in the .40 the top lube groove was exposed so I lubed some with just the lower groove filled. The new mould fromt he Cast Boolits group buy has a lowered lube groove that will take care of that problem. When it is finally done I will try some in my glocks as well.

Neal in AZ

I blew up a (nonGlock) gun loading the old 175 PF Clays recipe for a 200 grainer, which called for a OAL of 1.200, at the SAAMI spec OAL of 1.135. Granted that's .065, not .040, but still, I personally wouldn't go there, especially with a bullet that is likely .020 or even longer than the 200 grainer already, and especially with a very fast powder like Clays, lower PF or not.

You got ranges and action pistol on the Big Island? I've shot on Maui, and have seen the range on Oahu. Didn't know there was anything out your way...

There are no public ranges "yet"...but we do have a private club range. A public range is in the works but as with anything done by the gov't, it's years away.

I am waiting on the same mould but I have a pair of Lyman 200 gr TC moulds that I have been using for heavy bullet sin my 10mm's. I once tried some in .40 loaded long and shot them in my G24 with a KKM barrel. They felt strange but shot OK, never did anymore than try them. The Lyman mould has two lube grooves and to load them long in the .40 the top lube groove was exposed so I lubed some with just the lower groove filled. The new mould fromt he Cast Boolits group buy has a lowered lube groove that will take care of that problem. When it is finally done I will try some in my glocks as well.

Neal in AZ

I recall seeing you listed as one of the group. Early on in the design we had discussed the lube groove placement and loading long was definitely one of the requirements of the design. Looking forward to finally receiving the mold...it's been in the works for over a year.

• 3 weeks later...

Roger, I did go away from them, partly smoke and partly not being willing to perform any maintenance on my dies and only minimal maintenance on my gun. I am not willing to take the time to clean my dies, and I really don't want to clean my gun more than every 3000 rounds or so. Time is the one thing I can't really get any more of. I really like the way they shot, if someone had a 220 CMJ/JHP I would be ALL OVER IT. For the guys willing to take the time to clean their dies and guns the 220 S&S bullet rocks.

Have you used Bullet Work plated or lead bullets? Any feedback?

Have you used Bullet Work plated or lead bullets? Any feedback?

No I have not tried them. I have some 220gr lead that I'm looking for a load to go with win231 powder.

• 1 month later...

Ran some 200 gr Billy Bullets through my 6" Limited gun last night. Storm Lake barrel.

4gr n320, 1.18 OAL, averaged about 860fps, 172pf.

Sorry didn't have my notebook on me so I didn't write down the exact spread but they were all major, although not by quite enough. I will probably bump .1 grains and chrono again.

There is one way a Glock will take the longer bullet, but it requires a bit of monkeying... you'd have to get a Glock 20 and get a 40S&W barrel for it.. it will then be able to take the longer loaded 40's (since you are using 10 mm mags). That's the only platform in a Glock where I'd trust the heavy bullets. The reason for converting a 10 to a 40 S&W in my case would be brass availability..

I'm curious about the .399" bullets not being accurate.. I'm using hand swaged bullets that measure at .3995" and have had good luck with them. I load them mainly for my Para P16 with a stock barrel and they seem to shoot fine.. I have given some samples to a few friends and at least one person said they shoot good enough out of his 40...

Edited by sargenv

• 1 month later...

man i got excited that i found THE softest shooting load formy G35 until i read the max OAL part.

If I was trying to load minor... would a 220gr loaded to OAL of 1.140 (or whatever I need to get it to fit in my mags) in front of clays or w231 still be a bad idea? Start with say 2.5gr of clay?

Or should I just stick to 200gr from SNS and call it a day

Edited by ummagawd

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a pic of the 200 gr. group buy bullet that was talked about.

L to R:

Sized and lubed

loaded short in a .40 for shooting in Glocks

Loaded long in .40 for shooting in STI's

Loaded to length in a 10mm

post-922-096977500 1306597598_thumb.jpg

Edited by Intel6

Interesting to find this thread. I was about to post something along the lines of "remember when everyone shot long-loaded heavy .40s?"...

I'd run 200s, 210s, and tried D&J 220s for a while, 10 or 12 years ago. It seems long, heavy bullets were in vogue for a while. And yes, they do feel super soft. But after a while, a lot of people started drifting back to the lighter bullets. While soft, they heavy bullets also don't cycle the slide very quickly. Lighter bullets give a snappier recoil impulse, but the front sight snaps back onto target quicker. A few drills with a timer will show whether it is enough to make a difference for an individual shooter. It really becomes a personal preference thing. I ended up going middle of the road with a 180 gr. bullet.

The last time I moved, I found a couple of boxes of 200 gr. lead TCs and loaded them up prior to moving. I also found a few hundred 200 gr. Berry's that I'd loaded to 1.245". I don't even have anything that will chamber that length any more. I've got an old Para, but never had the chamber throated. As it is, you can drop one of these rounds into the chamber and feel the bullet engage the rifling before the round is all the way in. Not a good idea.

So I just unloaded the bunch of them so I can load them to factory length. The price I paid back in the day for these is probably 1/3 what they cost now.

2011-06-01_14-18-22_310.jpg