Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My First 1911 Build

CSEMARTIN

I just have to outbid Howard for that barrel... $13.87 and I'll kick in $2.00 to cover shipping for $15.87! :roflol:

I just wouldn't feel right about it unless you let me cover the cost of having the barrel sent to EGW to have it fixed?

I guess if you really have to I'd be OK with that. :)

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read the full thread...nice work! One major thing missing that I can see - Band-Aids (along with the always present cuts, scratches etc., etc., etc.).

Like I said, NICE WORK!

Richard

PS: I'm extremely jealous.

Like I said, NICE WORK!

Thanks Richard. It has been a love/hate relationship so far. Aside from cutting the dovetail too deep and trashing a barrel, it's gone considerably well despite the fact that I'm still working on it almost a year later!! :roflol:

I coated everything with Dykem Red, and it looks like the barrel feet aren't hitting the frame at all. In my AGI videos, Gene Shuey talks about it being ok to hit the top of the barrel fit, but hitting at the bottom is bad because it can cause barrel damage. The barrel locks up really well. I guess I'm wondering if I should cut the barrel feet another thousandth or two until the barrel just makes contact with the frame? Is that why I lost 8 thousandths in lockup? Perhaps the slide could go further just a little? I'm afraid to touch my files right now. I don't want to send in two barrels to EGW.

I have read the barrel fitting section of the Kuhnhausen manual (over and over again), but maybe it's me, I have a hard time translating what Kuhnhausen wrote into understandable English!!

Edit: I've added a photo of the barrel after the gun was cycled by hand several times.

Edited by CSEMARTIN

Looks like it's hitting the bed, and not hitting the feet at all.

Most of the contact appears to be at the radius at the back of the feet. You may just need to radius the frame to match the barrel.

If that does not give you good contact between the back of the feet, and the vertical impact surface of the frame, you will have to lower the bed in the frame a little.

Edited by wide45

Looks like it's hitting the bed, and not hitting the feet at all.
+1, you need to put about a 45 deg. angle between the bed and the vertical surface in the frame.

Thank you guys! I'll do that. The picture was very helpful Matt.

looking good boss, some day this year we both will be running our caspains. we will have to bring them to life at the same match and pour some moonshine on the to baptize em. may strip the blueing or hard chrome right off them though..... lol -chris

I've been stuck in a pilot lounge all day, and had the oppurtunity to sit and read this start to finish uninerupted. This looks like it's been quite a project! Keep up the good work, and don't lose your drive or patience! I wouldn't have the skill set or patience to do this. See ya' at SS (or maybe before)!.

and pour some moonshine on the to baptize em.

I've never baptized a gun before. I kind of like the idea, but I've always figured that just me shooting it is as holy as it gets!! :lol:

I've been stuck in a pilot lounge all day, and had the oppurtunity to sit and read this start to finish uninerupted. This looks like it's been quite a project! Keep up the good work, and don't lose your drive or patience! I wouldn't have the skill set or patience to do this. See ya' at SS (or maybe before)!.

Tom,

I'm glad you're here. The regulars don't know it yet, but I'm confident you will contribute a great deal to our discussions. :bow:

PS--It's your turn to drive...... I'm looking forward to SS.

• 1 month later...

I started working on the trigger job tonight. It has a long way to go. The oversized sear and hammer pins fit nicely in the frame. The hammer and sear needed to be reamed. Now, everything fits nice and tight.

I've been using this in the past on my trigger jobs: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...N%20BLOCK%20KIT

But I haven't been happy with the variability so I thought I'd try these to check hammer/sear engagement:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...JUSTMENT%20PINS

The last Extreme Engineering set I bought was really nice. This set is going to need some work on the primary and secondary angle. I'll address that later.

Once I installed the hammer and sear, the thumb safety wouldn't clear so I had to file the thumb safety where it mates with the sear.

You can see the finished product in the highlighted portion of this picture:

I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel!! I still have the plunger tube, ejector, extractor and firing pin stop block to fit--as well as a lot of polishing.

I'm taking suggestions on finishes. But for now, I'm thinking I'll either just blue it or shoot it in the white for a season to break it in. Then I'll put on the final finish.

What do you guys think I should do?

I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel!! I still have the plunger tube, ejector, extractor and firing pin stop block to fit--as well as a lot of polishing.

I'm taking suggestions on finishes. But for now, I'm thinking I'll either just blue it or shoot it in the white for a season to break it in. Then I'll put on the final finish.

What do you guys think I should do?

looks good chris, i got just the grips for ya.... :cheers: hehehehehe -chris