Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My First 1911 Build

CSEMARTIN

I've been planning this build for a long time.

I am going to start with the slide- as soon as my cutters get here from Brownells.

I'll post pictures of the project as I go.

Edited by CSEMARTIN

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great and thanks for the build report!

One quick Q. on weight though - with that heavy magwell, solid trigger and the heavier-than-usual Caspian frame (small window cut out) will the gun make the weight limit?

Will the gun make the weight limit?

Not without some extra-special attention. I'm going to get aggressive with the slide and see where I'm at with weight. I'll probably have to remove some weight from the frame to be legal.

Zhunter is correct, this is a SS gun- and I should get voting-member status just for posting this thread. Hell, I should get a board member position.

Mark, thanks for all the help! I have two more packages arriving tomorrow via FIL courier.

weigh the parts as they sit

That's not a bad idea. I am a little worried about the frame's weight.

I love living close to Brownells- except for the sales tax I didn't use to have to pay. I ordered the dovetail cutter yesterday. It arrived today.

Monday night. 5 PM. Shop class. It's on now........

I need to smilie_t.gifsmilie_a.gifsmilie_g.gif this to watch the progress.

I hope you guys enjoy this!

I'll get some "action" photos in shop class. You won't believe the machine shop we have here in Davenport, Iowa. If you're interesting in classes, you should check out the Blong Technology Center. I challenge you to find something better. Plus, the instructors are gun crazy like us.

Edited by CSEMARTIN

Will the gun make the weight limit?

Not without some extra-special attention. I'm going to get aggressive with the slide and see where I'm at with weight. I'll probably have to remove some weight from the frame to be legal.

Zhunter is correct, this is a SS gun- and I should get voting-member status just for posting this thread. Hell, I should get a board member position.

Mark, thanks for all the help! I have two more packages arriving tomorrow via FIL courier.

Gotta make application, you are well on your way!!

I'm finishing up my first 100% build. I went balls out and built an Open gun my first time around. I cut the rib cage last night.

Building your own gun is a great learning experience. One piece of advice...don't work when you are tired. My titanium comp has a couple extra "lightening" cuts thanks to this. :)

Have fun,

Darren

Edited by ExtremeShot

Those still suck? I thought the patent was running out and somebody was waiting on the sidelines to pounce with their own version the moment that it did ???

So far, I'm not impressed with them. I've read here that they are a "pain in the a$$" to fit. The package they came in had patent information on it.

I'd hate to see how these things would turn out if I didn't clean them up a bit before the final finish.

edited to add: Are Swensons legal in SS and/or CDP?

Edited by CSEMARTIN

They usually take some heating with a torch, bending and such to get them straight. Then the belt sander & buffer come in really handy. The real pain is in getting them straight. The rest isn't bad.

You have got to be Sh&*ing me!! :lol:

Anybody want to buy a set of swenson thumb safeties that have one half of one side partially polished?

They usually take some heating with a torch, bending and such to get them straight. Then the belt sander & buffer come in really handy. The real pain is in getting them straight. The rest isn't bad.

You have got to be Sh&*ing me!! :lol:

Anybody want to buy a set of swenson thumb safeties that have one half of one side partially polished?

ROTFLMAO :lol::lol::lol:

I'm following this from start to finish. I was thinking of trying my first one and I don't even have a mill. Now I'm thinking of looking through the safe to see what I might want to get rid of to pay someone else to build it.

The best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll end up with something you will be very proud of :cheers:

Building your own is rediculously fun. Try it and you may bang your head off a wall, but it is fun.

Every swenson I have gotten looks like garbage and required a lot of work to use. I have switched to Les Bear safeties, they are machined and a bit cheaper than the SVI part.

So far, I'm not impressed with them. I've read here that they are a "pain in the a$$" to fit. The package they came in had patent information on it.

My advice: buy a set of SV's get someone in the shop to Tig some paddles on for you. Swensons are hugely labor-intensive. You're pissed off after you fit them, then disgusted after they snap in half at the worst, possible moment.

You might also consider some Krebs shields from Brazos. Bob's got leftys and rightys now. I think all you do is notch the frame.

they snap in half at the worst, possible moment.

Good Lord!! Are you serious? They can break in half? I've never heard of that happening, and I've had some weird things break before.

I'm planning to cut the dovetails tomorrow night. Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I appreciate it!!