Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My First 1911 Build

CSEMARTIN

Here are the rest of the pictures:

Is that just a piece of scrap you turned down to allow you to fit the bushing?

Darren

Bushing Fitting Mandrel

Yeah, I'm aware of the part on Brownells. ...what he shows in his picture above doesn't look like that. It looks like just a piece he turned down.

Oh, maybe I'm seeing it turned around the other way? The skinny end is in the chuck, right?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the rest of the pictures:

Darren

Bushing Fitting Mandrel

Yeah, I'm aware of the part on Brownells. ...what he shows in his picture above doesn't look like that. It looks like just a piece he turned down.

Oh, maybe I'm seeing it turned around the other way? The skinny end is in the chuck, right?

Correct

Darren

Darren, no, it's a bushing fitting mandrel from Brownells (Thanks to my buddy Mark!). It worked out really nice. Going at a snails pace with a file took all of about ten minutes to fit the bushing. It was a lot easier than I had expected.

Mark, you just wait........and you thought I was talking shit all these years!! :D

Darren

Darren, no, it's a bushing fitting mandrel from Brownells (Thanks to my buddy Mark!). It worked out really nice. Going at a snails pace with a file took all of about ten minutes to fit the bushing. It was a lot easier than I had expected.

Mark, you just wait........and you thought I was talking shit all these years!! :D

Cool. I was curious because I fit a bushing recently and I just ended up using some extra lathe tools I had laying around. ....I used a drill chuck arbor in a mt3-to-mt2 adapter and then I chucked it up. It spun true and worked real well. ....and saved me from having to buy one of those tools.

DM

Smokim' for me Doc.

Will do...

After I beat Robbie and win his gun, I'll use it for spare parts.

Chris,

If you beat Robbie, he'd probably use his gun for spare parts :surprise:

Nice job on the single stack; is it easier being a surgeon or gunsmith?

Ron

If you beat Robbie, he'd probably use his gun for spare parts :surprise:

Yeah, no kidding there. Dave Williams might be looking for work too.

Nice job on the single stack; is it easier being a surgeon or gunsmith?

I don't know which is easier. They are both challenging, fun (at times), rewarding, etc.

Well I hope you don't indicate off the bottom of the slide for the next surgery you do :surprise::ph34r::goof:

I'm never going to live that one down, am I? :goof:

I installed the front sight tonight. It took some doing considering the deep dovetail I cut on the front. Patience and a file works wonders. It was rather irritating I must say.

• 2 weeks later...

I undercut the trigger guard and started checkering the frame. I have never done this before. I watched the Wilson Combat Series DVD #4 on how to do the checkering and just went for it.

Edited by CSEMARTIN

Chris, finish grinding out and smoothing your undercut before you continue on the checkering. It is incredibly easy to mung up the checkering doing it, you still have some meat left right now to get past it if you should slip.

Looks great!!

Chris, finish grinding out and smoothing your undercut before you continue on the checkering. It is incredibly easy to mung up the checkering doing it, you still have some meat left right now to get past it if you should slip.

Looks great!!

Thanks Howard, I was wondering if I should finish the undercut first. I'll take your advice.

I still don't know why it's advised to start the checkering with the longer vertical lines. I always start out cutting the horizontal lines first then finish with the long verticals. Since there is less metal the verticals don't take as long if done after.

Also, since you know where your last horizontal line will be (top line) you can take your undercut job all the way to the BASE of the first (top) horizontal serration. Some like that, some don't. It will make your serrations "stand up" off the front strap. Then again you can start with a smooth transition from undercut job to serrations then if you want to have them 'stand up' you can do it later. I think it looks better, but prefer the feel of the smooth transition.

I still don't know why it's advised to start the checkering with the longer vertical lines.

I was wondering the same thing. I had a hell of a time starting the vertical lines. In fact, when I started, I thought I had botched it up pretty bad. I did about 4 vertical lines and decided to start going horizontal. I think I'll start with the horizontal lines from now on.

Edited by CSEMARTIN

• 3 weeks later...

I fit the slide to the frame on Saturday. How long does this normally take you guys? I'm a little embarrassed to admit that it took me 5 hours.

The frame rails weren't parallel- but not by much. The slide rail micrometer that Brownells sells is really nice. I had a hard time measureing the inside of the slide so I'm wondering if it would be worth it to get the slide fitting bars? What do you guys use?

Overall, I'm very happy with the fit. When I catch the light right, the inside of the slide looks like a mirror where the rails ride. But this was a very tedious job, and it had me pissed off most of the day.

Edited by CSEMARTIN