Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My First 1911 Build

CSEMARTIN

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have my bomar rear from Dawson. For those of you that don't know, Dawson is selling an LP Para Bomar that has the elevation screw in the dovetail--eliminating the need to tap the slide for the screw.

My plans for the cut are as follows (the first .100" relief cut has already been done):

1) Center the spindle at 1.620" from the breechface (the measurements are a little different with this sight Matt, but I'll double check everything).

2) Cut .100" deep with a 1/4 inch endmill

3) make a pass with my 60 degree dovetail cutter. The final dimension will be 60 X .375 X .100 (the rest I'll fit by hand with a 60 degree sight file)

4)make the relief cut

Please, if I'm missing something, or you think I'm missing something, chime in. My feelings cost nothing. The slide cost close to 200 bucks.

Go for it, but if you're using that .330 cutter, you're going to want to get it darn close to .375 or you're going to be filing FOREVER.

I'd go for something like .1600 from the breechface, and make passes to get to .1640 which should get you much closer to the .375 with some wiggle room left for the file.

I think my math there is right, it's late and I've had a lot of coffee, yet I'm still not done with my english project...

Here is the other side of the slide. I sliced off the Caspian logo from the rear and the Caspian stamp from the side.

I ended up shaving off 6 thousandths to accomplish this. Should I take off 6 thousandths from the other side? Will this affect the felt recoil? Balance, etc.?

Here is the other side of the slide. I sliced off the Caspian logo from the rear and the Caspian stamp from the side.

I ended up shaving off 6 thousandths to accomplish this. Should I take off 6 thousandths from the other side? Will this affect the felt recoil? Balance, etc.?

.006 might not seem like much to most, but is a mile to me considering my keyway tolerances are +/-.0002 (thankgod for CDC, LOL)not that you need to hold that for this, but now your centerline of the slide has changed since you didnt take .006 off of each side

Since your slide is SS you can fly cut the slide flats to reestablish the centerline.... .006 on each side and then polish the tool marks out or if you are leaving the finish matte, spray the slide with glass beads and see what it looks like, polish out the marks as needed... just so you're aware, you may need to recut the slide serrations both sides front and rear after flycutting the slide flats.

Edited by hooks

Face mill/fly cutter. Surface grinder would be a lot easier. Centerline being 6 thou off isn't going to matter, pull 10 slides out of the package and measure them, you probably won't find one inside of that by much at all.

Face mill/fly cutter. Surface grinder would be a lot easier. Centerline being 6 thou off isn't going to matter, pull 10 slides out of the package and measure them, you probably won't find one inside of that by much at all.

If the slide is magnetic stainless 400 series, surface grinding would work...

Edited by hooks

If you don't have a face mill, and you have a holder large enough, I have a 1.250 solid carbide EM that will get you across it in one pass. measure the width, if a 1 inch will do it, I have one of those too.

Since your doing this work in a class, I doubt they will have many, if any 200.00 mills laying around, If there is something in particular you need for a EM that your class don't have let me know.

Edited by robomanusa

Make sure your barrel goes into the slide with proper clearance (chamber and upper locking area) at this point BEFORE you fit the bushing.

You wouldn't want to fit two bushings! If you have to come back and enlarge the slide bore you ruin your bushing fit.

Also, if you make a plate (or buy the EGW plate) you can cut your flat tops with the side of the endmill which eliminates the laborious cleanup work. I use a Micro100 0.500 high helix cutter at about 2000RPM with a pretty quick feed rate courtesy of X axis powerfeed. The final cut is a climb cut about 0.003 which leaves a beautiful surface. Very minimal (if any) cleanup is required. Usually take off about 0.026 (+- a few of course) which lines the flat top with the edge of the ejection port.

Don't forget to hand file a slight radius in the back corners of the breechface to help prevent cracking later.

FYI, the EGW trigger that is for standard (non GC) frames is mondo oversized on all four sides of the pad. No need to start with the GC trigger to get it tight. In Caspian frames you usually end up taking some off the top and a whole lot off the bottom (I use the mill for the bottom) and hand file the sides just slightly. Use a Sharpie to find rub marks.

Once you get your slide-frame fit, keep that thing CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN and oiled throughout the rest of the build process - especially the blending of the grip safety and the back of the slide to the frame.

Now you need to come up with your own 'trademark' signature like a custom serration pattern, some sort of unique cuts, etc that will let people identify a pistol as yours quickly! Maybe even how you cut the end of the barrel in relation to the bushing.

Good luck with the rest of the build!

OpnBlstr, as soon as I read your reply, I went home (before going to the shop) to make sure the barrel fit in the slide and it did.

I did end up buying the slide milling fixture from Midway. I love it. I won't do any work on slides without it from now on.

MATT, this post is for you! Thank you for all of your help with cutting the slide for the bomar. I can't thank you enough. Dinner is on me at that Italian restaurant we're all meeting at friday night!!

The bushing is fit. I'm planning to do the slide cuts on wednesday. Then, after the Single Stack Classic, I'll begin fitting the slide to the frame. After that, I will begin fitting the barrel.

Chris,

I'm starting to believe that all those misc. parts I ordered you from Brownells might actually turn into a functioning firearm:)

I realize it's a thread drift----- But good luck to all you guys at the Single Stack.

I hate that I can't be there this year....There is no such thing as the golden years---- They are lead!!!

Mark