Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My First 1911 Build

CSEMARTIN

What happened that resulted in the death of the Kart?

I removed too much metal from the hood.

BE SURE what is causing it to be tight before you move metal.

I couldn't agree more. At this point, I don't know why it is tight. I do know that I can see a faint shimmer of light shine through the barrel hood when I hold everything up to the light. And the dial calipers are telling me that the hood and sides are within a thou.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened that resulted in the death of the Kart?

I removed too much metal from the hood.

BE SURE what is causing it to be tight before you move metal.

I couldn't agree more. At this point, I don't know why it is tight. I do know that I can see a faint shimmer of light shine through the barrel hood when I hold everything up to the light. And the dial calipers are telling me that the hood and sides are within a thou.

I'll give you $2.00 for the Kart........ If the hood is the only thing that's out of whack, that is.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

We look sorta like rats 2, 3, 4 and 5 walking up behind the rat in the trap don't we :surprise::devil: At least I am the winning bidder so far LOL.

You have to sit back and laugh a little, experience is what gain from screwing things up, and we have ALL done it. Sometimes it is tough to chuckle at first but it needs to be done before too much time passes. Glad we could help with that.

I am so happy with how this barrel fitting is going!!! So far, it is going perfectly!! It's just a beautiful thing.

I have 50 thousandths of lockup and my barrel alignment gauge ( http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...IGNMENT%20GAUGE ) isn't hitting the firing pin hole on the breechface.

Should I keep going?

How much lockup should I go for? I was thinking 55 would be good.

Edited by CSEMARTIN

Make sure when the barrel goes to bed you have enough clearance between the upper lugs and the slide.

Thanks Howard. I'll check that.

How do I know when I am done cutting the bottom barrel lug?

I measured both holes and the meat between, and I came up with exactly .278 inches. I put in a #3 link pin, installed the barrel and everything cycles really well. But I noticed the slide isn't flush with the frame when the barrel is in battery. And I've lost about 8 thousandths of lock up.

I put some Dykem red on the back of the bottom lug to see where the barrel is hitting the frame. I just need to tear the gun apart and check.

Edit: I just uploaded another video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHlKb10kNwc

Edited by CSEMARTIN

Slide hang-over is normal. I've had MUCH more than what you have in your pic. Once the barrel is fit, I file the back of the slide and contour it to match the frame.

I've seen the aftermath of a barrel fitting where the lugs where cut until the slide was flush. The barrel cammed WAY down in full lockup. It never did feed right. Well, that is until the fitter hogged the hell out of the chamber mouth. Bulged cases where the result, until the lug feet broke. That's when I got it.

I've read HSMITH post that the link is at 1 degree past vertical, when fully in battery. Well, this is what it is supposed to be.

The down and dirty is: The disconnector is fully in the notch, and the safety engages the cutout in the slide.

Make sure when the barrel goes to bed you have enough clearance between the upper lugs and the slide.

Thanks Howard. I'll check that.

How do I know when I am done cutting the bottom barrel lug?

I measured both holes and the meat between, and I came up with exactly .278 inches. I put in a #3 link pin, installed the barrel and everything cycles really well. But I noticed the slide isn't flush with the frame when the barrel is in battery. And I've lost about 8 thousandths of lock up.

I put some Dykem red on the back of the bottom lug to see where the barrel is hitting the frame. I just need to tear the gun apart and check.

Edit: I just uploaded another video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHlKb10kNwc

Edited by want2race

I just read through all 7 pages here... looks like it's gonna be a fine blaster! I've always wanted to do something like build a gun but machine tools are no longer at my disposal so I stick to building ultra-high end desktop computers for friends. It's almost as much fun, maybe more because I get to spend stupid amounts of OTHER peoples money and not my own, lol!

Oh, and on that note I just have to outbid Howard for that barrel... $13.87 and I'll kick in $2.00 to cover shipping for $15.87! :roflol:

I like 1* past vertical, and then fix the disconnector notch and safety notch if necessary. 17 and a half thou per inch is pretty close to one degree, and it isn't that hard to measure. I just can't do anything else when I know what it is supposed to be.

Damn, outbid again :goof:

I just have to outbid Howard for that barrel... $13.87 and I'll kick in $2.00 to cover shipping for $15.87! :roflol:

I just wouldn't feel right about it unless you let me cover the cost of having the barrel sent to EGW to have it fixed?