Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

31+1 Reloadable mags.... I just got Mine!

f250sd

MAJOR THREAD DRIFT MODE ON

time to fix the rule on 171.25mm mags in the usa.

it should be 170.00mm

harmon

Too late. It was a mistake, but won't be changed now.

It will be changed when they make 9 major legal for limited :D

MAJOR THREAD DRIFT MODE OFF

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it should be 170.00mm

Why in the world would that matter? You set a limit, and someone is going to do their damndest to squeeze as much as they can out of it... Hell, Eric G has a 30 (IIRC) round magazine that measures 170mm. He has to use clear packing tape to hold the basepad on the thing.

What I'm surprised at is that no one has designed a basepad, yet, that collapses when the magazine is empty, so that it gauges at 171.25, but is really, like, 180mm or something, and holds 34 or 35.... ;) Amidon might have a heart attack trying to wrap a rule around that one :D

What I'm surprised at is that no one has designed a basepad, yet, that collapses when the magazine is empty, so that it gauges at 171.25, but is really, like, 180mm or something, and holds 34 or 35.... ;) Amidon might have a heart attack trying to wrap a rule around that one :D

It amazes me no one followed the example of safety razors and developed triple stacked magazines which hold 45 rounds once double stacked became common. :D

It amazes me no one followed the example of safety razors and developed triple stacked magazines which hold 45 rounds once double stacked became common. :D

The grip would probably be too wide for many people. But I do like the idea!

The collapsible basepad thing was an issue with IPSC modified for a while, but I think IPSC changed some rules to stop it. A search on the IPSC Village would bring up those threads.

There was at least one submachinegun that had a coffin shaped quad-stacked magazine and a 60 round quad stack for the AK family was toyed with (http://home.comcast.net/~shooter2_indy/ak74_mag_guide.html bottom of page). I think a wider stack basepad on a 140mm tube would be the trick, if you could make it work.

it should be 170.00mm

Why in the world would that matter? You set a limit, and someone is going to do their damndest to squeeze as much as they can out of it... Hell, Eric G has a 30 (IIRC) round magazine that measures 170mm. He has to use clear packing tape to hold the basepad on the thing.

That is some funny stuff there... you are right though... it would be legal as the rule reads now. I guess nobody has tried because the know they would have to rule that illegal. You might get to use it for a match or two though. :P

The solution is the change the rule so that the mag has to be a certain length and clear the gauge (that is, fit without touching, so the gauge itself cannot compress any part of the magazine).

The actual length of the mag doesn't matter, in the end - and it also doesn't matter whether we use 170 or 171.25 or 248 or whatever. As long as everyone plays by the same rules, the limits on capacity will be physics, creativity, and will to take risks....

So, for USPSA, 171.25 is just fine... ;) Frankly, the primary use of a 32 round big stick would not be 32 round field courses.... It would be for extra insurance on 26-28 round field courses. If you are extra brave, there would be occasions where you might run the gun dry or down to one round in a maximum length field course, but those opportunities are rare where the risk pays off by really saving you on a reload. Now, not having to do a reload on a 28 round field course is an advantage, for certain...

Here is more info:

Round Count Hole Description:

38/9mm 170 tubes come with one(1) hole (marking 30 rds)

40 cal 140 tubes come with two (2) holes (marking 10 rds & either 21 or 22rds, depending on the tube)

The total cost of tuning your magazine(s) includes the following components and breakdown .

Basepad $35

Spring $10

Follower $12

Tune Tube $60

Total Tuning Charge (per mag) $120

Shipping and Handling $15

Total (with S&H) $132

Engraving (extras)

Name $10.00

Individually Numbered $8.00

Extra Round Count Holes $8.00

The only sure thing a 32 round mag will accomplish is more 33 round courses.

I had to look that up...

COF's that are greater than 32 aren't allowed at Level III, but are allowed at Levle's I & II (it seems, with the new rule book).

I know I like designing stages with lots of little steel at the end. :)

For Limited, don't they have to make 500 of those basepads for them to be legal?

The only sure thing a 32 round mag will accomplish is more 33 round courses.

Um... read the rulebook ;) Won't see 'em where they count...

Edited by XRe

Basepads, magazines, tuning, etc., etc., etc.,

We now have Bolen 3mm, 4mm and 7mm basepads.

We have the Grams 4mm, 6mm, 11mm and maybe some others.

We have the Dawson +1, the +1+/SNL ant the +2 that comes in two different lengths.

We have all sorts of people tuning mags, Bolen,Grams, Dawson, Brazos, HSmith, Benny Hill and who knows how many others. Plus Dawson is coming out with his Magazine Tuning Kit soon.

Damn, glad I have a mag gauge, this could get confusing.

Does Mr. Bolen provide complete mags? I've seen the page at Mr. Higdon's site but it just talks about tuning. Before November I want one more 170 and another 140 and these have piqued my interest.

171.25mm is a NO GO for a World Shoot.

IPSC rule dictates that mags can not be longer than 170mm.

Now a question to the 31/32/33 rounds mag users :

Have you noticed more fatigue of the grips ?

I remember reading Bob Londrigan writting somewhere that 29 rounders had a tendency to crack grips.

What about the 31/32/33 rounders ?

Grips cracking is due to the downward pressure exerted on the mag catch by the magazine when there's not enough room in the mag for the top round to move down and accommodate the disconnector rail on the slide. If you have to slam the mag in to get it to catch and seat, you're potentially doing damage to the frame each time you seat that mag. It has nothing to do with outright capacity of the magazine.

For that reason, I generally download my mags by 1 round under their max capacity. Very occasionally, I will stuff 29 in my current big stick, if there's a real need, but usually that one round is mitigated through course management, etc.

A mag that holds 31 with "almost enough room for 32" would likely not have that issue, as there should be plenty of room for the disco rail and then some...

As X said... the big deal isn't for 32 round courses, at least for me, I don't like no extra rounds. Besides, you telling me you can't find a place to reload in a 32 round COF. As he said, the advantage is maybe a 28 round COF with a comfort zone.

The endless chase for another round..... I just don't see why.

Now I shoot open as my main class and I have 3 170 mags that all hold 28 rounds and I don't see a problem with that as any COF over 8 shots should have a place to reload.

I watch shooters like TGO and many others in our club win stages with 8 rnd SS, 6 rnd revos, or Lim 10 and Production guns over the shooters in Limited and Open so mag capacity is not a factor in most stages and this includes stages with lower round counts.

If you are pushing yourself to the end of your mag and you know it to start with your mind is going to be concerned with that aspect and you will most likely not be as fast anyway.... knowing you only have 1 or 2 extra rounds if the sight picure was not what it was suppoed to be. And if you mess up now you have an unplanned reload somewhere instead of a smooth anticipated reload.

Just my thoughts, but then I am only a B shooter so what do I know....